Remember Me This Way


Notes

This song is from the movie Casper. If you haven't heard it, DO SO.


Every now and then

It was winter solstice, a time for jubilation. A time for everyone to celebrate the ending of winter's power, for everyone to dress up and be amidst friends.

Lina Inverse held severe doubt in this tradition as she glumly watched the full moon rise.

We find a special friend,

Normally, a young and unattached girl such as herself would have worn a white rose in her hair, and those who were taken wore the red rose of their chosen suitor. Lina had braided a blue rose into her crimson tresses, signifying that she awaited someone special.

Who never lets us down.

"Lina-san, who are you waiting up for?" Ameria asked, fiddling with the white rose tucked under the ebony tresses by her ear.

"Someone," she replied distantly, " who probably isn't coming. He couldn't make it, I guess."

Who understands it all

Noticing that the sorceress had nearly maimed Gourry for asking a similar question, the Sairoon princes decided to politely excuse herself. Lina sighed as she left.

"Where are you?" She quietly asked the empty night sky, and was not answered.

Reaches out each time we fall

The night waned on, but Lina remained at the fountain side. After about an hour, she couldn't take the strain anymore. He wasn't coming.

A gloved hand extended as an invitation to dance. She wanted to refuse, but she was so lonely.

You're the best friend that I've found

The young man who she danced with was remarkably gentle. Everything about him was as white as the haze around the full moon, right down to his ashen skin. Even his movements were ethereal, from the dance, to how he held her, to how he breathed.

I know you can't stay,

His right arm was wrapped around her waist, and his left hand rubbed her back in a soothing manner. She relaxed against his touch, wishing for it to last forever. But no matter how wonderful, it had to end sometime.

But part of you will never go away,

The music faded, then halted, and Lina knew that her ghostly beau would soon move on. A single tear fell from her ruby-toned eyes, and, to her surprise, was suspended on the forefinger of his right hand where it caught the starlight.

Your heart will stay.

He brought the droplet to his lips, which moved in a spell that she couldn't make out, and he held her closer for a moment. When he released her, he offered the tear back to her, only now it had become a glittering gem known as Heart's Tear.

I'll make a wish for you,

For the first time, she looked up at his face. Every feature he bore was both smooth and sharp, from his now-motionless mouth to the perfect curve and point of his nose. His almond-shaped eyes expressed everything that his voice would not, bright cerulean against white.

And hope it will come true,

"Who are you?" she nearly lost herself in the brilliant aquamarine orbs. his hand closed over hers as he pressed the jewel into her palm, but he still didn't speak.He fingered the blue rose in her hair, the silken petals blooming to an even fuller extent before dying.

That life would just be kind,

"Oh." The understanding that she gained cast a dark shadow over her heart. "I see." He cupped her chin in the smooth indention between his thumb and forefinger, tilting her head up so he could look straight into her eyes. Their mutual sorrow had drawn them together.

To such a gentle mind.

One last night. That's all she really had, just that one solstice night, when all the world was supposed to hope and wait for spring. Days could only get longer now, after this night was gone. But she couldn't hope. Her reason for waiting was gone. She had to keep the dawn at bay.

If you loose your way,

Daylight would shatter her fragile heart, destroy her delicate dream, and weave despair into her soul. She latched onto him, suddenly, so as to never let him out of her sight.

"Please," she begged softly, "don't leave without me."

Look back on yesterday,

He brought her chin up again, silently kissing away the tears. his touch was so light, every bit as soft as the rose petals that scattered beneath him. The droplets he wept were true gems, a darker mirror of the Heart's Tear he had created for her. The black jewels danced with sad colors.

Remember me this way,

He placed the precious stones in her hands as a distant grief clouded his eyes. Icy winds rippled through his milky garb, over his smooth skin, and caused a single strand of hair to blow across his glittering sapphire eyes.

Remember me this way.

The violent breezes tore them apart, and she cried out as he was pulled away. She had been with him all that time, and he hadn't needed a single word to tell her how he felt, but there weren't enough words in the world to tell him how much she loved him.

And I'll be right beside your shoulder

"Lina-san, come on!" Ameria's disembodied voice called the sorceress back to the waking universe. "If you don't wake up now, there won't be time to get ready for the solstice festival!"

The festival....it hadn't happened yet?

Watching you.

An hour later, Lina sat in front of the vanity that the Sairoon castle staff had provided, plaiting an icy blue rose into her scarlet hair. She reached for the black ribbon she was going to tie it, and her fingers brushed across three smooth and familiar stones.

I'll be standing by your side

"Lina-san." The Sairoonian princess' voice was deathly quiet as she walked up to Lina's side and placed her hand on the sorceress' shoulder. "It's time for the festival." She seemed shaken, but did not confess the cause of her unease. Threading the gemstones into her hair, Lina nodded.

In all you do,

Gourry met them at the gate, prepared to escort the two young ladies to the celebration.

"Wow, Lina, you look awesome!" The mercenary gaped. Lina's face tinted; her dress was low cut, white silk, and designed to flatter her slender build. A gauze cloak was pinned at her breast by a blood red brooch.

And I will never leave,

Throughout the night, it appeared that several young gentlemen courted Lina and Ameria, but were very disheartened when they caught sight of the sorceress' blue rose. Sometime before midnight, Ameria returned with a red rose tucked over her ear, but Lina took little interest.

As long as you believe,

"Lina, if you're waiting for... for him ..." Ameria sat down in front of her friend. "Don't wait too much longer. I... I don't think he's coming this time." Lina nodded in acknowledgement, distantly playing with the pre blossom adorned with the three gems.

You just believe.

She overheard the conversation of two nobles, and their words froze her heart in place.

"Did you hear? One of the nights of Ceipheed killed mumble mumble just yesterday."

"Really? Killed it?! A thing like that? Huh. I dodn't think there were any of those left."

I'll make a wish for you,

"There aren't," the first replied, "anymore." The two shared a laugh, but the red head stared into the fountain by her side. Her tears caused ripples in the crystal clear water, and she ripped the rose bud from her hair. After the night's encounters, the flower was already wilting.

And hope it will come true;

With a brief prayer, she dropped the bloom into the fountain, and all three stones with it. She stood quickly and turned to run back to the castle, but collided with the youth behind her who was bending to pick up the fallen rose. The collision sent him head first into the fountain.

That life would just be kind,

"I'm so sorry." Lina whispered her apology and offered to help him from the basin he had landed in. He gratefully accepted, yet she couldn't help but notice his resemblance to the man in her dream. He held out the damp rose, which had somehow flourished under his touch.

To such a gentle mind.

Each droplet of water was like early morning dew on the full, silken petals. She marveled at this as he leaned over the fountain edge and fished around for her jewels.

'You dropped these,' he seemed to say as he placed them in her hands.

If you loose your way,

They danced until the dawn caused her to panic. Daylight would deprice her of this man who had eased her aching heart, but she could not stop time.

He gently kissed her forehead, then was lost in the pre-dawn greyness.

Think back on yesterday,

"Lina, did you spend the whole night waiting for him?" Gourry asked, and Lina nodded.

"He didn't come, did he?" Ameria quietly led the red head back to her room, drawing in a sharp breath when Lina shook her head no. "I thought so. Lina-san, he..."

Remember me this way,

"He must have tried so hard to be here." Ameria whispered, despite Lina's confused expression. " He me must have tried too hard. Lina... he died yesterday. In a battle with one of Ceipheed's knights. He must have tried to come for you, I'm sure of it."

Remember me this way.

Lina remembered the ethereal youth clothed in the purest white as she clenched the blue rose in her fist. Everything about him had been so ghostly... now she new why.

"NOOOO!!!" She screamed.

This way.


Fanfiction