Episode Four: Shades of Innocence


Notes

navy = flashback

blue = Astral/telepathic speech


It took Zelgadis a moment to remember the basic laws of nature. Wait a minute, my mother is dead!

"Who are you?" He growled. "What do you want?"

Zelgadis, child of Isafale. While the first addressor had most definitely been female, the second was male. We bare you no malice.

"Who. Are. You?" He repeated, muscles tensing in preparation.

Zelgadis... don't you remember? A vague form manifested out of the moonlight. Clad in a gown of purest white, a woman with long braided hair held her hands to her breast. Her blank eyes were emphasized by her haunted expression.

Behind her, a masculine figure wearing a loose shirt and pants placed a hand on her slender shoulder.

"Mother?" Zelgadis' voice cracked; as did all his defenses.

Oh, my baby, you've grown up so much! A smile blossomed on her face. How I've missed you! I wish I could have come sooner!

"How... how... mother... how did you..." He gaped, lips trembling.

Isafale, there is no time to waste. The man spoke sharply, but in a concerned tone.

I know, Gabriel, I know. She crept closer to her still living son. Listen carefully, Zelgadis. Your life, and the lives of all you care about, are at risk.

"What?" Zelgadis blinked. "Why?"

The Mazoku, the Exicutor, Xellos Metallium, is a grave danger to you all.

"The Fruitcake?" the chimera blinked, expression darkening. "Xellos..."

No! Zelgadis, listen! To save the lives of your friends, you must learn to trust, and to have faith in those you fear.

"What are you talking about?" He tried to grasp his mother's hands, but passed through her. "I don't understand, Mother."

Do you want to save their lives? Gabriel asked. What lengths are you willing to go through to save their souls?

Lina... Zelgadis thought, resting his head against his chest as he bit his lip. "I'll do whatever it takes."

Are you sure, honey? His mother whispered. I promise I'll explain it when it's safe to talk. I love you baby. She kissed him on the forehead as he closed his eyes, remembering a time so long ago...

"'Kaa-san... I miss you." It was Zelgadis' sixth birthday, only a year since the death of his mother. "Grandfather, he doesn't love me. Zolf-san and Rodimus-san are nice to me, but they're my only friends. I don't want Grandfather to hate me.... but he does. What can I do?"

Zelgadis. My little boy. Can you hear me?

"M-M-Mother?!" His eyes lit up as he sat up on the bed, tearing his gaze from the vast multitudes of stars outside the window. "Where are you?"

Shhh. I'm here with you, in spirit. The full moon's light concentrated together in the ghostly form of his maternal gaurdian. I don't have long.

"Mother.... how'd you do that? Are you a ghost now?"

... Something like that. Now, pay attention love. I'm going to have to go again, and soon, and I don't know when I'll be back. But remember this, dearling. Don't you ever turn your back on a man or woman with eyes like a cat. They are Mazoku; they'll kill you on sight. When your older, stronger, I'll explain everything. I love you, baby. Don't forget! She pressed her lips to his forehead.

"Mother..."

ELSEWHERE, same time

"Have you found the renegade yet?" A female voice demanded.

"The renegade has been... eliminated, Master." A male voice answered.

"And the mate?"

"No longer a threat."

"Offspring?"

"None, Master. The child was slaughtered in the mother's womb." A snicker could be heard in the background, but was rapidly silenced.

"Then the Israfael are no longer an obstacle. Good work, Xellos."

"... Thank you, Master."

BEYOND ELSEWHERE, minutes later

Rezo, Priest of Red, I have come with a favor to ask of you.

"An Israfael? They are extinct.... ghost, perhaps?"

I have no time for this! The mother's spirit wailed. You must protect my baby! Your son and I gave our lives so that the child would life on. He carries the blood of the Israfael, and the power to destroy the Mazoku. Do not let the Dark Lord or his Knights take my little boy.

"..."

Please hide my child!

"..." Rezo slowly smiled as he developed a plan to accomplish all goals.


Episode 5   |   Fanfiction