Episode Six: Sacrifice to Innocence


Notes

blue = Astral/telepathic speech

purple = Zelas's speech


Xellos and 'Zelgadis' [1] faced each otuer, eyes narrow. Both had wings, now, although Xellos' were dripping with his own blood and 'Zelgadis'' were lightly dusted.

"Time to die, Israfael." Xellos snarled, a direball charging in his hands.

We are sorry that it must come to this, Mazoku. The power of the Israfael spoke through Zelgadis' body.

"DIL BRANDO!" Lina cried, shooting endergy at teh both of them. "Why are you doing this, Xellos?! Why, and don't give me any of that 'Sore wa himitsu desu' crap!"

"Since the initial defeat of Shabranigdo, the Israfael have been the natural enemies of the Mazoku." The Tricster grinned as a swift kick to the chest sent 'Zelgadis' out the window. "The battle ends here." He leapt after him, and the Mazoku drove him into the ground with a drill kick.

"FIREBALL!" The red head yelled, sending a massive amount of pyrokinetics at the aggressor. "I'm not about to sit back and let you kill one of my best friends, fruitcake!" Xellos easily dodged the first assult, but instead of continuing in a straight forward direction, the flames veered to keep him as their target.

Xellos. It doesn't have to be this way. 'Zelgadis staggered to his feet, ever calm voice dropping with pain as he approached his attacker. I won't fight you, Xellos, so please don't condemn yourself.

What in Hades are you doing, Zel? Lina wondered as she jumped to the earth. Yin faces Yang, darkness trying to destryo light and light trying to save darkness.

"Die!" Xellos roared, Mazoku ki forming a sinister looking black blade. He lunged as Lina screamed.

"Damn it, Xellos, open your eyes and see the truth!" Zelgadis roared, the feathers in his wings falling to the gound and combusting on contact. The Mazoku's blade entered his stomach the same moment that he grabbed the blade by the hand guard and held it in place.

The fiery tempered sorceress couldn't even scream as Zel further impaled himself by struggling to grab his attacker by the throat, rich black blood flowing over his lips.

Mazoku. Bearer of Darkness. Do you remember guilt?

You will feed on the pain of others, their sorrow, their hate...

Do you remember remorse?

Guilt will noat strike you down again when you become Mazoku.

Do you remember love? "Zelgadis! Xellos!" Lina's calls fell on deaf ears.

Do you remember the light?

Traitor! I will kill you myself before I let them take you back!

Remember the innocence you held! Xellos!

What Xellos sees;

Mazoku. Bearer of Darkness. Do you remember guilt?

Himself. Alone in the lightless, uncomfortable dark.

Do you remember remorse?

A sick feeling brings bile to the back of his throat as he stares at his blood-stained hands. He killed themm all... killed his people.

Do you remember love?

The horribly mutilated bodies of the people who had one time been his family lay at his feet, their blood on his hands. They wouldn't fight back... Why?

Do you remember the light?

Family, friends, clan, kin; none would attack or strike back in defense. They just stared at him with empty, sad gazes, forgiviness in their eyes as they died.

Remember the innocence you held! Xellos!

His own brother was the last to go. Gabriel , who gave him a brilliant smile as he knelt in the bloody snow.

"You'll find a way back to us, won't you Xellos?" You'll come back to the Israfael, right? I know you will." And he had slaughtered Gabriel without even answering.


"ESPRIT FLARE!" Zelgadis yelled. The resulting explosion threw them apart and bathed the world in light. Lina could only yelp in surprise as a heavy form collieded with eher and sent them tumbling to the ground.

Traitor! Deserter! You won't return, ever! You're Mazoku property now!

"Lina..." Zelgadis' icy blue eyes stared into the empty space between them. "Run... please... don't let my sacrifice be... in vain..."

"Zel..." She looked around at the situation. Xellos lay sprawled out in his human form about ten feet away. The ring of scorched earth was at least thirty feet in diameter, and the west wall of the inn was blackened beyond repair.

To the east, dawn's frey light provided an eeire sillohuette for the fully armed figure of the royally pissed off Beastmaster.

I won't let the damned Israfael have you back! Her grim tone struck a note of dread in Lina's heart as she realized she had no time to retrieve Gourry's Sword of Light. Now you shall all die!

The violet-red energy Xellas hurled at them formed a blast large enough to take out the entire city with ease, and Lina did the only thing she could under the circumstances.

She cast a large and destructive spell of her own to counter.


Episode 7   |   Fanfiction