You Are To Me


Notes

A Songfic to Bette Middler's Wind Beneath My Wings.


It must have been cold there in my shadow,

The world, bathed in white light, slowly faded, revealing nature's shadows.

to never have sunlight on your face.

The shadows took shape, and not long after, color appeared. Sound soon followed, bringing with it a rapidly pounding heart beat and a terrified voice.

"Zelgadis?"

You were content to let me shine, that's your way.

Although the blinding luminescence had significantly dulled, still she could not see him. Where had he gone? When had he left?

"Zelgadis?!"

You always walked a step behind.

She hadn't let go, so where was he? She had never let go...

Turn around. A mere whisper on the breeze, where had it come from? Could it be his rich, light voice calling to her?

So I was the one with all the glory,

Turn around. The unearthly echo caused her movement to lose speed by caution and anticipation. She felt her heart slam against her rib cage, threatening to overwhelm her.

while you were the one with all the strain.

Lina... The ether caressed her face, still not maintaining a solid form. She closed her eyes and leaned into the touch.

"Zelgadis..." She murmured.

A beautiful face without a name for so long.

She could almost see him there, holding her in his surprisingly strong arms. She inhaled deeply the scent of coming rains that had once accompanied him.

A beautiful smile to hide the pain.

"Zel..." She whimpered, wishing with all her heart for him to be with her. He would smile, touch her face, embrace her. He would be there.

Lina. Was he there?

Did you ever know that you're my hero,

"Where are you?" She felt tears behind her eyelids, but was too proud to let them fall.

With you. L-sama, she was delirious. Warmth flooded her body.

and everything I would like to be?

"Where?" Her voice was choked. "Zelgadis!"

Shhh. I am here. His voice was gentle, his tone, assuring. I won't leave you.

But you will, she thought. I didn't make it in time!

I can fly higher than an eagle,

Open your eyes. His presence was like a cloak, she could sense his energy patterns in the recesses of her mind. I will always be with you.

Will you? Her question went unvoiced as she allowed her lashes to part slightly.

for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Be strong. She willed herself. Zelgadis is... was always strong! He... Pain flooded her heart as she reminded herself it would be her job to tell the others what had happened out there.

It might have appeared to go unnoticed,

He would have done a better job with something like this. He was much better with words, and could make them understand his point. He had the patience she lacked.

but I've got it all here in my heart.

Lina. He called to her, the resonance fading. What's wrong?

"I was too late." She cried. "Too late..."

Too late for what?

I want you to know I know the truth, of course I know it.

"I know you wanted to die." Her gaze was still averted to the white emptiness. "But I can't live without your support. I grew dependant on it. When you weren't with me, you don't know how much I wished you were."

I would be nothing without you.

You did? He asked.

"I need you, Zel." She replied. "Every time you left, you dragged some part of me with you. I couldn't let go, wouldn't let go."

Did you ever know that you're my hero?

I won't leave again.

"You already have..."

Beg pardon?

You're everything I wish I could be.

"My spell came too late." She sighed bitterly. "I didn't heal you in time to save your life."

Lina, look at me. He commanded.

I could fly higher than an eagle,

She turned, facing the origin of the sound. Something unseen took her chin and tilted her face, and shadows darkened from the white void. Shades of gray and black turned to color and form.

'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

"Focus." His voice, she realized, had never been ethereal. It had merely been the lack of distance between them. His features became startling real as her eyes finally adjusted.

The wind beneath my wings.

No words came to her as she let her tears fall freely.

"I won't leave you." He whispered, gingerly embracing her.

"Thank you." She sniffled. "Thank you."


Fanfiction