Strange Night


"You're drunk," Zelgadis reprimanded scornfully. One arm was wrapped around her waist, keeping her on her feet. Otherwise, he knew she'd slip to the floor, as if her knees were made of nothing more than water. Carefully, he guided her through the hallways of the inn towards her bedroom for the night.

Lina just laughed and made an overly-dramatic wave of her hand, barely missing a nearby vase. "Don' blame me, blame Xellos," she slurred. "He's th' one who started it..."

Zelgadis sighed and shook his head. "It was just...disconcerting to see you sing a song about love and justice with Amelia. And you were nice to everyone. You didn't fight with Gourry once; you let him steal all your food... Even Gourry started getting worried when you didn't fight back." He grimaced and clutched his head. "The last straw was when those bandits came in looking for you, and you offered to give them back their treasure."

She pouted cutely and slurred, "Didn' wanna fight 'em..."

"Exactly," he said pointedly. Zelgadis unlocked the door with the aid of a key she handily gave him, and briefly took his hand away from her to open the door. She immediately wavered on her feet; Zelgadis automatically slipped his arm around her waist again to steady her.

Lina giggled drunkenly and fluttered her eyelashes at him. "My hero," she quipped, only slurring the words slightly. She studied his face for a moment before pronouncing with authority, "You really are cute, you know." With a small, theatrical sigh, she said, "'Haven't ever figured out why you think you're a monster. Why, I have to stop myself from k..." Mid-word, she giggled and shook her head. "Naw... Can't tell you that yet!" she confided, stage-whispering into his ear.

Beads of nervous sweat broke out on his brow. She'll regret saying that in the morning, if she remembers it. I'd better hurry... "Time to go to sleep, Lina," he murmured as he placed a hand on her forehead and chanted the word, "Sleep."

Within seconds, Lina was slumped unconscious in his arms. Delaying no further, he opened her bedroom door and gently placed her on her bed. He sighed and shook his head slightly as he gently removed her cape, shoulder guards, boots, and gloves.

As he turned to go, he took one last look at her...and gently kissed her on the cheek. You'll regret saying I'm cute, if you remember in the morning...along with the rest of this night...but still, it means a lot to me. ...Even if it was only the alcohol talking. He smiled once, and whispered softly, "Goodnight, Lina."


Fanfiction