Part 7


Hours later the duo was back in young Zelgadis' chambers, pouring through their literal treasures. Lina was eagerly fingering an ancient book of magic and sorcery, practicing the forgotten spells over and over until they were burned into her brain. Zelgadis, on the other hand, read and re-read his grandfather's tomb, from cover to cover, until it threatened to crumble into moldy dust.

It must be the answer. He thought quietly to himself, Lina. Me. My destiny. The Queen. It all makes such wonderfully bizarre sense. But.. do I want to follow through with destroying everything I've ever known for.. her?

Zel looked up at his companion as she squealed with glee.

"Ha ha! Zel Look! I did it!" she crowed with delight, "I successfully cast the lighting spell!"

Zel answered her glowing smile with one of his own. Without a doubt.


The guard of the northern gate shifted from one side to the other. It had been getting a tad warmer lately, and it made him, and his fellows, antsy. Such unwarranted changes in weather always spelt trouble; and seeing as how it was their duty to deal with trouble, it was only natural that they were all so anxiously on edge. Even so, it still came as a surprise when the shambling figure of a human girl appeared from the mists. So stunned were they that they stood, as if frozen, at their posts, until it was too late.


Zelgadis was at a difficult moment in his life. For one, he felt positive that he was 'snared by the heart strings' in love with the chaotic Lina Inverse, but he wasn't sure she felt precisely the same way. He wasn't even quite sure she had to be to bring about Winters' End, though it would really be great if she did. Another thing was the 'burning passions' which he felt certain meant he had to, well using her expressions, get her into the sack. He didn't feel that it would be too appropriate to ask, so early on in their ah relationship, but he did find himself rather excited about the prospect. Oh what was a young prince to do.. or not do.

I do hope Mother finds nothing about this. He sighed dramatically.


The Snow Queen was actually too busy to think about her noble son for once. The kingdom had been breached by a dark and evil force. Though she felt deep down that the human girl was partly to blame for it, it was much more important that the breach be sealed once more and the intruder dealt with as quickly and an effectively as possible.

"Your Majesty."

The Queen turned her attention to the royal guard who knelt at her feet, waiting patiently.

"Filia, what have you to report." She commanded.

The blonde soldier rose to her feet, and with a straight face, and clear voice, reported, "The intruders are somewhat human my Queen. The first, is an un-dead female, filled with dark energies, it is she that has caused most of the attacks. Her controller is definitely human, male, and possibly quite mad."

The Snow Queen frowned somewhat as she continued.

"The casualties on our side aren't very numerous. Mostly those guards who tried to stop them, and any other who appeared in their path, were killed." Filia spoke. "They seem to be searching for something... or some one."

The Snow Queen nodded as if she knew and expected this. "It seems the humans have come for their own. How barbarically like them. See if the return will suffice, and be careful." She ordered.

"Your Majesty." Filia saluted at her dismissal, and departed.


Lina was ecstatic. If she had been told that she would be plunged into a world of magic and enchantment, with a handsome prince by her side and wonders at her finger tips, well she would never have believed it. It was something one would have to live to experience, and even then it was still all so fabulous.

"Um.. Lina?" her companion's voice murmured questionably into her ear, causing her heart to skip a little.

"Yeah Zel?" Did you want something?" she turned only to end up gazing into her jewel-like eyes and find breathing not to be as easy a thing as it should.

"Ahm.. well." Zel stuttered, "the thing is.. I w..wanted to tell you that, that I like you. I Mean really... really really like you." He babbled, "Well not really Like like you but more than that. I well ILoveYou.. Lina."

Lina swore her body had just shut down. Her mind stopped thinking. Her heart ceased beating. Her lungs no longer drew in precious breath. For at least a whole second. Then of course all of them seem to dash into overdrive to make up for lost time. "Wow.. Zel." She sighed, "I .. don't know what to say.. but."

She drew in a deep soothing breath before answering him as calmly as she was capable. "I feel.. pretty much the exact same."

Zel's eye's lit up gloriously and wrapped Lina into his adoring embrace. Lina seemed to be the one melting this time around, as she mused how she didn't really know what love must be or felt but that this surely was it. And that was that.

And so the delirious couple kissed and caressed and devoured each others' souls, hearts, and love until they sank blissfully down onto the comfortable mattress, and did not rise for some time.


Xellos smiled his wicked smile as he eyed the foolish, in his mind, blonde woman before him. She had asked him his purpose for invading their territory, but what seemed to amuse him so was how she, like all the others he had come across and had Sylfiel destroy, seemed to possess no visible emotions.

"I came here for something that was taken from me." He finally replied. "I want her back, by Any means necessary."

"The human girl then?" Filia questioned. "The one called Lina?"

"Yes, my darling Lina. I want Her." Xellos grinned.

"The Queen has decided to grant you this for your immanent departure from this realm." Filia stated. "It is satisfactory?"

Xellos did not bother to hold back his wicked evil laughter and nodded. "Very. I'll be waiting by the gate lovely. Don't be late."

Filia stood her ground as Xellos departed with the shambling shell of his sister. As they vanished from sight she finally began to breathe easy. Poor girl. But mostly, I feel for his highness. This will not be easy. With that thought, she turned to make her report to the Queen, but not with out sending off a missive to the Prince's chambers first. tis the least I can do.


Part 8   |   Fanfiction