Chapter 2


"This week is a very big one for us," Ms. M told her staff. "Since our product has gained national appeal, I expect you all to give 110% effort, okay?" She asked enthusiastically.

"Okay!" the employees cried out happily.

"Then lets get the competition!"

"Yeah!" the people cried once again.

"Then, that is all for today. Go get them!"

Lina sighed as the people started to file out of the meeting room. She had a ton of work to do. Not only did Ms. M want a new look to the web page, she wanted Lina to learn XML. Even bought me a stupid book, Lina groaned inwardly.

Not only was work getting hectic, but so was school. Math had always been her weak suit and it didn't help that she took three equally challenging and time-consuming classes. And it didn't help her at all that finals were only three weeks away. Just the thought of her math final was enough to give her shivers.

Sitting down in her cubical, Lina resolved to give her 110%.. at least until lunch hour which happened to be only a half-hour away. Well, I should get started on the new page at least. That'll be the easiest, Lina reasoned silently. I can fit the XML into my schedule when I get home.. Maybe I'll get Zelgadis to help.. He's smart... Lina sighed before hitting her work.


"Ne, Lina-chan," Xellos said interrupted Lina's work, "you seem to be working hard. What are you working on?" Xellos asked as he leaned over Lina's shoulder.

Lina turned a bright red and greedily drank his smell. I love that smell; his smell. It 's so manly.. Lina shivered

"Ah! You're working on the new homepage. Looks great!" He complimented Lina as he patted her head. What soft hair.. he thought.

"So.. umm.. Xellos.. what are you doing here?"

Xellos laughed. That is so cute. I didn't know that anyone could turn such a shade of red. It really rivals her hair, he mused. "Why, I came to see you, Lina-chan. I've heard legends about your eating habits so I thought I'd check them out for myself."

Lina just stared at him.

"Come on! I won't take know for an answer," he stated as he proceded to pull her out of the cubical.

"Where are we going?"

Xellos wink at her. "You'll see. My surprise."


Lina's eyes bugged out at the menu. "This place is expensive! I can't afford this!"

Xellos laughed. "Good because it's my treat."

Lina gave him a look then opened her mouth only to be cut off by Xellos. "I won't take 'no' for an answer. It's a matter of male pride. I have to be chivalrous. Since there isn't any princesses needing to be saved from dragons, I opted for taking one out to dinner."

Lina blushed again then proceded to stare at him. This has to be some sort trick. It is too good to be true. He never used to say more then a 'hi' or 'bye' to me and now he is treating me at a five star restaurant and calling me a princess.

"Why are you treating me to lunch?"

Xellos blinked. Could she..? Nah.. "Why? Well.. because.."

Lina narrowed her eyes. Maybe Ame-chan was right..

"Well, I interrupted you the other day and that was rude. I felt bad. And... I think you cute," Xellos finished off smoothly.

Lina blushed deep down to her roots. Maybe he is playing me. But... I... like it. "Thanks," she mumbled as she started to play with a strand of her hair.

"So... what are some of your interests? I can see you good at designing things.."

Lina looked up with blazing eyes. "I hate designing! I hate it! Hate it! Hate it!"

"Mah! Mah! Then why are you doing it?"

Lina sighed. "Because it is a good paying job and the hours are flexible. College is expensive, you know."

Xellos nodded. "I know that one.. So, what's your major?"

"I'm majoring in computer science along with my friend, Zelgadis. We want to start out own software business," Lina said happily.

"Really? I have a degree in computer science. I'd love to start my own business, too."

"Do you know what you want to order?" the waiter asked, interrupting the couple.

Lina nodded. "I want this," she pointed to the menu.

"And I'll have the special," Xellos finished as he handed his menu to the waiter.

"Very good. The food will be out in a while."

Lina watched the waiter leave before breaking out in a fit of laughter.

"What's so funny?" Xellos asked with a grin.

"Very good," she imitated before another onslaught of laughter.

It took Lina a couple moments to regain herself. "Ahem, sorry. I just found that amusing for some reason."

Xellos grinned. He found Lina's laughter to be contagious. "Say... are you doing anything this Saturday?"

Saturday? Hmm.. she thought, raking her brain. "Ah! I promised to go to the amusement park with my sister and a friend."

"Then... can I tag along?" Xellos asked.

Lina grinned and nodded.


Saturday

"Why did you let him tag along?" Amelia whined.

"Yes, do tell, Lina-kun," Zelgadis said coolly.

Lina laughed nervously. "Well, Ame-chan, Zel-chan, he asked so nicely.. How could I turn him down?"

"With a 'no'?" Amelia supplied sarcastically.

"Besides," Lina went on ignoring Amelia, "he bought me lunch the other day.."

"So you felt as if you should be indebted to him?" Zelgadis asked with a frown.

"No.. not exactly.. Come on guys! Lets just have fun."

Zelgadis sighed. "Yeah, whatever. I don't care."

Lina smiled. "Thanks."

"Hey, over here!" Xellos waved to the small crowd.

"Didn't think he'd really show, "Amelia muttered under her breath.

Zelgadis nodded in agreement.

"Hi! We're glad you could make it," Lina said smiling.

"We?" Zelgadis inquired.

Lina gave Zelgadis a look of warning. "Anyway, sorry about these two. They aren't used to having anyone else tag along on our outings."

Xellos looked at the two new comers. The girl seemed to be a fluff and the other seemed to be jealous of him. Jealous of me? Xellos mentally asked himself.

"Oh! I almost forgot! This is Amelia, my sister, and this is Zelgadis, my childhood friend."

"Nice to meet you two," Xellos said smiling before he felt the onslaught of their gaze. Is it getting cooler out here or is it just me? Laughing nervously, he continued, "I hope you don't mind that I brought my friend Val with me. He wanted to meet you all."

"Of course we don't mind," Zelgadis smiled tightly. "We seem to have room for snobs now-a-days," he muttered under his breath.

Lina punched Zelgadis in the stomach, "Hahaha.. Lets get going, shall we?"

Xellos nodded. "Val is at the gate with our tickets."

The three blinked at him.

Xellos broke into more nervous laughter. "We thought it would be best to pay for us all since we are tagging along."


The day went by fast for Xellos.

Val hadn't made much of an impression on the group but he did seem interested in Amelia, which was great for him. Maybe he'd get him off his back more..

Lina seemed to be taken with him as usual. And Zelgadis didn't like the competition, Xellos figured. It was funny watching Zelgadis react to Lina following him. He mentally smiled at the look of anguish on Zelgadis's face.

Then he frowned. Those two act like an old married couple. Always fighting. It is going to be a challenge to break these two apart.

But then again, I always am up for a challenge.

And who know, maybe someday she'll smile at me like that..


Chapter 3   |   Fanfiction