Chapter 2


In the afternoon they reached a river and Lina decided that it was time for an early dinner since they were not likely to find a better spot for camping that night.

When they stopped Dana awoke from her sleeping spell and looked at Zelgadis. Apparently she found nothing unusual at him, because her attention shifted to the red glimmering stone hanging attached to his chest.

Zelgadis looked down as the tiny hands reached up to touch the brooch. Dana was a very cute baby, with her fiery hair and deep blue eyes.

"Aw, she's awake!" said Amelia jumping up and down.

Lina didn't pay any attention to them, she had improvised a fishing rod and was taking every available fish out of the river.

Dana lost interest in the broach and started crying. Zelgadis looked around searching for help.

"Com'on Dana-chan, why are you crying?" asked Amelia caressing the baby's little hand.

"What's wrong with her?" asked Lina, turning just enough to see their faces, but not letting go of her fishing rod, "She's scaring all the fish!"

"I don't know!" said Zelgadis, his sensitive hearing hurt by the baby's screams.

"Maybe she's hungry." said Gourry from behind them, he was carrying some wood for the campfire.

Everybody turned towards him.

"You know Mr.. Zelgadis I think he's right, we've been traveling the whole afternoon and who knows when she last eat." said Amelia thoughtfully.

"But what should we feed her?" asked Zelgadis.

"We could give her some fish..." suggested Lina.

"Baby's don't eat fish, they eat soft stuff, like... like soup." said Gourry.

That was about the time everybody's jaw hit the ground.

"How do you know so much about child-care?" asked Amelia surprised, the only thing she had ever seen Gourry do all right was sword-fighting and eating.

"Back at home I used to help mom take care of my baby brothers and sisters, they liked to play with me!"

That figures, thought Zelgadis, it must be easy to entertain a baby when you're on the same mental level as they are...

Lina started roasting the fish and Gourry was helping her. No help there, thought Zelgadis.

He turned towards Amelia. He had never eaten anything cooked by her and he didn't like the idea of having Dana as a guinea pig. Guess I have to do it myself.

"Amelia, hold her." he handed her the baby who was still whimpering, but not so loud anymore.

Zelgdais walked into the forest, after a while he found an apple tree and picked up some fresh apples. He prepared a brew and started feeding it to Dana, who was still sitting on Amelia's lap. The baby's face brightened and she stopped crying, unfortunately she didn't hold still long enough and half of the food landed on her little dress. Then she dropped the last contents of her meal on Zelgadis.

"Mama!" she babbled at him.

Amelia who had somehow kept herself out of the way of the food corrected her, "Not mama, Zelgadis. Can you say Z-e-l-g-a-d-i-s? Zelgadis, Zelgadis..."

"Ze.." started Dana.

"Zelgadis, Zelgadis."

"Ze... Zelais." the baby said.

"Zelgadis, Zelgadis."

"Zelais, Zelais, Zelais, Zelais." Dana clapped happily her hands together.

Amelia looked at Zel, "I think it is as close as she's going to get for now." then she noticed how his outfit was completely covered with applemousse.

Zelgadis noticed it too, "I'll go clean myself." he started to get up.

Amelia looked at the infant, "Take her with you, she needs a bath as much as you do." she held Dana up for him too hold.

"Zelais..."

Zelgadis sighted, for once the princess was right. He took Dana and started walking along the river. He found a good spot covered by some trees. Zelgadis held Dana with one arm and with the other he untangled the brooch on his chest and let his cape fall to the ground. He removed his sword, his boots and socks and entered the water with the baby, since they were completely covered with applemousse and their clothing would need a cleaning anyway.

Dana started to plash in the water. He sat at the shore the baby in front of him. He washed the little dress while Dana played with the water.

Zelgadis didn't really like to play in water, he usually sank, but Dana seemed to be enjoying it a lot.

Zelgadis hung the dress on a tree branch along with the now clean dippers and took of his own shirt to wash it.

Little did he know that not to far away two persons gasped at the sight of his bare chest, namely a fiery haired sorceress and a certain princess of Sailoon who had followed him.


When Zelgadis came back to the camp, everything was normal, Lina was hitting Gourry and Amelia was giving some speech about Lina's behavior not being appropriated for a lady.

Zelgadis put the baby's clothes and his shirt close to the fire so they could dry out. His cape was put around himself and Dana who was already showing some signs of sleepiness even though she had slept almost the whole afternoon. Zelgadis sat down leaning against a tree and Dana fell soon asleep in his arms, her little hand holding his finger. He smiled down at her for a few seconds before he let himself drift into restful sleep.

Amelia watched him fall asleep, the baby in his arms and concluded that he had never looked so cute as he looked now.


Chapter 3   |   Fanfiction