And He Watched Her


Zelgadis: Li-Lina? Are you.. awake?

Light shimmered into the bedroom from the open doorway. Zelgadis peeked into the room where Lina slept so soundly. He watched her stir in her sleep as he spoke, but she obviously hadn't heard him. She was buried too deeply in her own dreams to be in any of his.

He sighed deeply, studying her in her bed, curled up like a frightened child. She was so helpless looking as she lay there, and he couldn't help but walk in. He shut the door behind him and it gave a low click. Pausing slightly, to make sure she hadn't heard him, he thought about her. All alone.

Gourry and Amelia had left for parts unknown the day before. They were on a quest of their own. Though Lina had insisted on going along, they finally convinced her to stay at the inn until they returned. Zelgadis had been gone, searching for a foolproof cure, so he couldn't go with them either. Unfortunetly, he had been unable to find it.

Zelgadis: Damn this all! Life is just a horrible waste of time...

Not only had the cure not worked but Lina had been alone in this town for the past week. Finally, Zelgadis had returned, finding Amelia and Gourry's note to Lina.

Up until now, he had just been watching her. She was quiet... too quiet for his taste. Even as she was eating, she stayed very calm and collected. She didn't converse with anyone at the inn. In short, she had looked very lonely. Staring at her from outside her bedroom window had proved his theory. She sat on her bed, brushing her hair and humming. It seemed almost normal until he noticed the details. She was frowning and humming the Ballad of the Lost Girl from an old magi legend. She was also staring at the ceiling with depression. He was going to leave then, but then she started to talk to herself.

Lina: Why did they have to leave me..? I could have come along... I hope they come back soon... and... I hope Zelgadis comes back soon...

Zelgadis snapped himself out of his flashback. He glanced around at the room. The only light he saw was the faint moonlight coming from the open window. Crickets chirped from outside and the breeze whipped gently at the trees. He looked back at the door. He leaned forward and locked it, from the inside.

Zelgadis: Forgive me, Lina...

He walked up to her side. She stirred. Zelgadis pulled back, scared of her awakening. When she didn't, he sighed and rethought his plan.

Zelgadis: I'm going to do this, if it kills me...

And with that, he lay next to Lina and put his arms around her. He kissed her gently on the cheek and snuggled against her body. Though she was asleep, she smiled and put her arms around him. He stopped breathing for a moment. This was too good to be true. Was it true? Did Lina love him back? His heart beating in happiness, Lina still asleep, Zelgadis drifted off to sleep.


Lina opened her eyes. Light streamed in through the window to her right. It had been a nice rest. She sighed and shifted herself. She heard a groan.

Lina: Huh? Ah! Zel?

Zelgadis: ::eyes half closed:: huh..? what...? Ah! Oh my god! I forgot!

Lina sat up and Zelgadis jumped off of the bed. He backed against a wall and proceded to try to explain himself to the confused girl before him.

Zelgadis: I'm sorry! I didn't mean to... I... I'll go now...

He rushed for the door and tried to yank it open, but it was locked. He had forgotten. He fumbled frantically with the lock as Lina approached him from behind. His heart beat faster.

Zelgadis: She's going to kill me...

Lina: Zel?

She put her hand on his shoulder and gazed up at his eyes. He was taken aback by her look and his eyes widened. She slid her hand around his body until she had him held tightly and then rested her head on his back.

Lina: Why are you going so soon, Zel-sama? Stay.

Zelgadis turned to her and gazed into her eyes. He smiled and she smiled back. She led him to the bed where they lay in each others arms and sighed.


MEANWHILE:

Amelia: Mr. Gourry... Now that we're back, where is Lina?

Gourry: I don't know... Her door is locked...

Amelia: Do you think she's okay? MISS LINA!!!!

Gourry: Amelia! Keep it down! Some people are still sleeping!

Lina's door opened, and a crusty-eyed Lina stepped out.

Amelia: Miss Lina!

Zelgadis followed.

Amelia: Mr. Zelgadis??!

He grunted and went downstairs followed by Lina. Amelia and Gourry glanced at each other.

Gourry: Did I miss something?

Amelia: I have no idea...


That night Zelgadis stayed awake long after dark. When he was sure that everyone was asleep he crept to Lina's open door. She lay, just as she had the night before, in fetal position. He just stood and watched her. A faint grin reached his lips. He whispered to her:

Zelgadis: I love you Lina.

With that, he began to walk away. Just then, he heard a faint voice.

Lina: I love you too... Zelgadis...

He looked at her, still asleep, with a smile on her lips. Zelgadis smiled and walked back to his quarters. Maybe life wasn't such a bad thing after all...


Fanfiction