Part Two: Mirror Mirror


Zelgadis sat at a table the next day at breakfast. He rested his elbows on the tabletop while Amelia placed a steaming cup of coffee in front of him. He didn't move.

"Mr. Zelgadis? Is something wrong? You aren't drinking your coffee."

Zelgadis closed his eyes.

"No Amelia. I'm fine. I just have a lot to think about."

"Well if you need to talk to someone, I'll be here." She placed her hand on his shoulder. He usually would have shaken her off, but today he was too preoccupied. He looked straight into Amelia's eyes. They expressed so much emotion. Worry, love, happiness. Her eyes were different than Kim's. The child had a deep burning hatred inside her, while Amelia was nothing but a kitten. Why did Kim's expression look so familiar? Where had he seen it before?

"Mr. Zelgadis?" Amelia blushed. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

Zel blushed and looked away.

"Hey, you guys, aren't you going to eat any breakfast?" Lina chomped on a sweetbun. "It's pretty good!"

Zelgadis stood up.

"I'm sorry. I must leave now. I will be back later tonight."

"Zelgadis, why leave so soon?" Zelgadis whirled to the voice. Beside him, sitting on the table, was Xellos.

"Get away from me, you fruitcake."

"My my, Zelgadis. In a bad mood today, hm?"

Suddenly, from far away, there was a voice. It was the voice of a child, a lonely, frightened child. Zelgadis stiffened at the noise. Lina cupped her hands around her ears.

"What's that?"

The voice continued to call. This time, louder.

"Daddy... Save me, Daddy..."

"Who is that?" Amelia pondered out loud. "Who is your Daddy!"

"Daddy, save me. Save me please..."

Xellos turned to the door, his cape flourishing ornately.

"Well, I'll be going." He grinned at Zelgadis. Zelgadis jumped towards him, him eyes burning with hatred. He reached for Xellos, but his hand passed right through him as he disappeared.

"You bastard! Where is the girl! Where is Kim?" Xellos merely shrugged as the last fuzzy apparition disappeared.

Gourry, who had been quiet until now turned to Zelgadis.

"Who is Kim?"

"Kim - Kim is my - No! I don't even know if it's true! Why am I trusting Xellos?" Zelgadis screamed louder than anyone thought he could and rushed for the stairs.

When Zelgadis finally reached his room, he locked the door and paced back and forth. He whispered quietly to himself in despair.

"No. I don't even know if she is my daugher. Xellos may be lying."

Zelgadis passed by his mirror for the tenth time and came to a stop. He turned slowly towards his reflection and gazed at what he saw. At first he saw only his chimera body. He saw the demon in himself, he saw the golem in himself, and he saw the human in himself. He noticed the blue spots on his cyan skin. He saw his wire hair. He saw his curse. Hatred built up inside him. He narrowed his eyes and stared deeper.

Then, he noticed something. Zelgadis gasped. As he looked into his eyes he saw hatred. He saw despair. He could see his loneliness lingering in the depths of his mind, but he saw one more thing. In his expression, he could see Kim. His eyes were her eyes. His feelings were hers. She was his daughter, and he knew it.

He had to save her.


Part 3   |   Fanfiction