Freedom


Notes

This is really dark. I am warning you right now. I have just gotten through watching vol. 7 and I decided to write a Zangalus 'fic. Because I really like him, he is a neat character. But this is an extremely dark story that deals with slavery, and sexual abuse. So you have been warned.


Zangalus looked up at his father as he towered over him.

"Get up!" Gareth snarled as he kicked ten year old Zangalus in the ribs.

"Fa...father please stop!" Zangalus cried as he curled up into a small ball of pain.

"Get up you weakling! I can't believe that such weakling useless whelp could be my son!" Gareth snarled as he picked Zangalus up by his shirtfront and tossed him across the room. Zangalus cried out as he hit the wall, he looked up at his father and Gareth sneered as whirled around. When I get back from the battle, I want you packed and gone from here." Gareth put on his cloak and left the small cabin. After he was gone, Zangalus' mother, Zainer rushed over to his side.

"Zangalus, you mustn't anger him." Zainer whispered as she picked Zangalus up and carried him to his small narrow cot.

"Mama...... what did I do?" Zangalus asked as he started up at his mother with pain filled eyes.

"I don't know, but please Zangalus, try harder in your studies."

"But I try!" Zangalus cried out as Zainer slapped him as well.

"Don't talk back to me!" Zainer snarled as she cast a Sleep spell on Zangalus. "Brat." she muttered as she left the room.


But Gareth never returned form his battle, and Zangalus was left with only his uncaring and disinterested mother.


Thirteen year old Zangalus walked into the bar looking for his mother. Her found her all right, siting in one of her patron lap with his hand down the low bodice of her dress. Tall for his age, Zangalus towered over most of the men on the bar. Zangalus boldly walked over to his where his mother was and tapped her one the shoulder. Zainer looked up angry.

"What do you want whelp?" Zainer asked as her blue eyes, the exact same shade as Zangalus' narrowed in something very close to hatred.

"Mother, we need food, and this little ones fresh milk." Zangalus said as he stared down at his mother emotionlessly. The man Zainer was...... playing with smiled as he looked at tall youth. The youth looked back at the man with frosty eyes.

"Hello, I am Iedon." The greasy man pushed Zainer off of his lap and stood up. He barely reached Zangalus and he outweighed him by at least fifty pounds. "Hey Zainer, I will give you fifty gold pieces for him." Iedon murmured as he stared up at Zangalus hungrily.

"Wh....what!" Zangalus cried, as three of Iedon's cronies grabbed him.

"So what do you say? He is at a good age, to be useful, I... could use him." Zanier looked up at Zangalus, and for a second, regret flashed through her eyes, but then the hardened into twin sapphires.

"Don't give me that Iedon, I know about your taste for young boys...... seventy-five."

"Mother!" Zangalus cried, but Zainer slapped him hard.

"Done!" Iedon rubbed his hands together and smiled in anticipation. He handed over seventy-five gold pieces, and looked at Zangalus hungrily.

"Load him up, we have two days more travel before we get home." Iedon said as he downed his drink, and he and his cronies walked out the door dragging Zangalus with them.

"Let go of me you bastards!!!" Zangalus shouted as he was dragged through the streets.

"Shut him up!" Iedon shouted, and Zangalus felt a blinding flash of pain at the base of his neck, and then no more.


Zangalus looked up dully as Iedon walked into his room.

"How are you doing today pet?" Iedon asked with a leer as he walked over to Zangalus. The youth was chained around the neck, and was only wearing a loincloth. "I have a birthday present for you Zangalus. See, I always remember my favorites." Iedon ran his hand idelly down Zangalus' chest, and despite five years as Iedon's slave, the young man still stiffened. "You still retain your spirit, even after all this time." Iedon murmured. In the last five years, Iedon had changed greatly, his hair has thinned out and he had let himself go. His once muscular body was now flabby, and as of late, he had begun to dabble in sadism. So whenever he was near, Zangalus tensed, waiting for the next blow. Where Iedon had become disgusting, Zangalus had grown out of his lankiness, and his face filled out into a lean handsomeness. "Are you enjoying your swordplay lessons?" Iedon asked, and Zangalus looked up suspicious. Iedon never asked questions. "Well the truth of the matter is that you are beginning to bore me Zangalus, so I have bought a replacement for you. Meet Youri" Iedon gestured and a young boy about twelve years old was drug in. The child's dark green eyes were filled with fear and tears ran down his cheeks. Zangalus remember when he had first been brought to Iedon's house. The first time he had been used like that. He had been first forced to watch as Iedon had used his slave at the time. After that, Zangalus shuddered and closed his eyes, trying to block out the memory. One day he would be strong, and no one would use him like that again. He would become the greatest swordsman ever, and he would kill Iedon. That one dream had kept him alive though these hellish years keep his spirit from being broken. "Shall we begin?" Iedon asked as he yanked on Zangalus' chain and licked his cheek. Zangalus snarled, and that earned him a slap. After that he simply waited for it to be over. What else could he do?


Zangalus was lead before his new "master". He was extremely tall man with violet hair and pale skin.

"Hello Zangalus." the man purred in a velvet voice. "I am Rezo the Red Priest, and I have a proposition for you that I think you will like very much." Rezo held out a sword. "This is the Howling Sword. I have heard that you are a superb swordsman." Rezo smiled slightly. "I am right now setting you free. You can go wherever you wish, or you may join me. With my help, you will become the greatest swordsman ever. And you will be given the Howling Sword. So what is your decision?" Zangalus thought for a long time.

"Teaching..... nothing else, nothing like this?" Sorrow covered Rezo's face.

"I am not like that Zangalus." Rezo laid a hand on Zangalus' shoulder. "I swear to you, no body will ever do that to you again." Zangalus looked at Rezo with hopeful eyes.

"Then I will join you." Rezo smiled and handed Zangalus his new sword.

"I am sending you to a friend of mine who will see to it that you master the sword." Zangalus nodded, he didn't care, he was free and that was all that mattered. Well almost free, but his vengeance could wait a few more years.


The morning mist rolled over the plains as a man in a cloak walked up to the gates of Iedon's compound and knocked. The guard opened the gates to the man, and he stroad in as if he owned the place, which he did. Iedon's debts had become so large, that is was a simple matter to for him to buy it. Zangalus walked past his old room and looked in. In the middle of the large bed was the child he had seen all those years ago. He looked up at Zangalus with fretfully dark green eyes. Zangalus knelt down and smiled at the youth.

"Hello Youri, do you remember me?" The youth nodded. "Do you know where Iedon is?" The youth pointed at the door that lead to another room. "Thank you." Zangalus said cheerfully as he walked into room. He saw Iedon lying asleep in his bed, his body a monstrous heap of fat. Zangalus walked over to Iedon and poked him awake with his sword tip. Iedon opened his eyes and stared up at Zangalus in terror. "I have come to get my revenge." Zangalus smiled as he ran his sword over Iedon's fat midsection.

"Sure....surely you aren't going to kill me!" Iedon squeaked and Zangalus looked at the man who had made is adolescence a living hell,

"No I'm not like you. I prefer to ruin you and toss you out onto the street to beg. Zangalus smiled. "Get out, I own this place, and I want you packed and gone before breakfast, and don't worry about your little harem, because they have all been freed. I suggest you leave before they get here." Zangalus turned to leave, and he didn't see Iedon raise a dagger, ready to throw it at his back.

"FIREBALL!!!!" Zangalus turned and smiled at the aqua haired woman standing in the doorway from Youri's room. Zangalus walked over to her and kissed her passionately.

"Thanks Martina." Zangalus whispered as he hugged his wife. Youri looked at Zangalus and his wife in shock. "Youri, I never let this place ruin my life, I have a great life going with a beautiful wife whom I love. Don't let what Iedon did you to ruin it for you. And I intend to see that it doesn't. This place is now yours."

"What?" Youri asked shocked.

"I heard that you were the one who really keep this place going. A man once gave me the chance of a lifetime, and I will never forget it. I am now giving you that chance. This place is yours, to do with it what you wish. But you are now free. You can walk away, or stay." Zangalus smiled as he wrapped his arm around Martina' waist. "No stings attached. And you will never be used again. Of that I swear to you." Zangalus and Martina walked across the room, and didn't even glance at Iedon's corpse.

"Thank you.... Zangalus-san." Youri whispered, and Zangalus grinned over his shoulder. He and Martina walked trough the gates and she laid her head against his shoulder.

"No are you happy Zangalus?" she whispered.

"Happy, and free." Zangalus whispered.


Fanfiction