The Story


navy = flashback


"Okay children you said you wanted a story? The old man asked as he sat by the fire warming his creaking bones.

"Yes sir." The five children chorused as they looked up at the village priest.

"How would you like to hear the story of Vrumagen?"

"Who's that?"

"Vrumagen was a sorcerer who lived a long time ago. Keep in mind this isn't a happy story. Do you still want to hear it?"

"Yes"

"Okay is started on the night a terrible fire...."


Vrumagen looked at the village he'd grown up in. "Heira!" Vrumagen cried as he cast Ray Wing and flew to his cottage. Vrumagen crashed into the house and begin to throw things out of his way. He dimly felt the hot embers searing his hands, but nothing mattered aside from Heira! "Heira!?" Vrumagen cried as he ran into the burning inferno that had once been their bedroom. He head a hacking cough and he ran over to the side of their bed where Heira lay with a blanket wrapped around her head. "Freeze Arrow!" Vrumagen's voice held a panicked note to it has he fought to reach his wife. He finally got to her and gathered her up into his arms. "Hold on Heira, I'm here." Vrumagen whispered as he cradled his wife tenderly in his arms. Vrumagen blasted a whole through the wall and raced out of the house. Once Vrumagen had reached a safe distance he knelt down and gently held onto his wife.

"Vrumagen?" Heira murmured as she looked up at his with dark brown eyes. Vrumagen ran to the village healer's home.

"Help me!" Vrumagen cried as he carried his wife to the healers' house.

"Vrumagen, what is the matter.... Dear Gods." The healer murmured as she looked at Heira.

"Help her please." Vrumagen whispered. "Shamah-sama, please help her." Shamah nodded her head.

"Bring her inside." Shamah lead Vrumagen to a bed. "Set her down there." Vrumagen does as he is ordered and stands off to side as Shamah applies poultices to Heira's burns. "She is so badly wounded." Shamah whispered and began to cast a healing spell.

"Ca.. Can you save her?" Vrumagen asked softly. Shamah looked up into Vrumagen's tear brimmed blue eyes and shook her head.

"No, I'm sorry." Vrumagen closed his eyes. "The fire... it has seared her lung. She will slowly drown on her own blood." A tear ran down Shamah's face, she had known both of these children since birth. She had helped to bring Heira into this world, and now she would have to watch her die. Vrumagen nodded his head.

"Can I take her from here?" he asked. Shamah nodded her head.

"The only thing we can do is make whatever time she has left as enjoyable. Vrumagen nodded.

"I shall take her to her family's home outside of Atlas City. They deserve to see their daughter one last time." Vrumagen gathered Heira into his arms and turned to leave. "Will you see to our things. Give whatever is salvageable to the needy." Shamah nodded. Vrumagen nodded his head at her. "I doubt I will ever see you again, thank you." Shamah nodded her head and watched the youth leave her house for the last time.

"Goodbye Vrumagen." Shamah whispered.


"You mean he lost his wife?" One of the children asked with tears in her eyes.

"I am getting to that part dear." The priest's blue eyes shone brightly.


Vrumagen cast Ray Wing and began the journey to his where Heira's family now lived. The entire reason they had told each other how they felt was because of her family moving, Vrumagen let the memories wash over him [1]


"How did they meet?"

"Well Vrumagen's parent's died when he was barely in his teens and left him their house. He and Heira had grown up together. Now listen to the story."


"Vrumagen!" Heira cried as she ran up to the tall gangly youth and threw herself into his arms.

"They're...we're moving!" Vrumagen tried to calm her down.

"Heira calm down, and start from the beginning." Vrumagen murmured.

"My parents they're moving!" Heira cried. "We're moving to Atlas City." Vrumagen's eyes widened.

"You're leaving?" Vrumagen whispered and Heira buried her head in his shoulder.

"Yes in s month, I don't want to go to some big smelly city! I want to stay here, with all my friends." Vrumagen gently held Heira.

"Sometimes we don't have a choice in the matter pet." He whispered as he stepped away. He looked down; he wouldn't let Heira know how much this was ripping him apart.

"You're always for emotionless!" Heira cried. "Don't you give me that routine Vrumagen, I know this is killing you as well!" Heira impulsively began to kiss him. "I won't let you do that!" Sufficing to say, Vrumagen was shocked.

"Hi...Heira?" Vrumagen said his blue eyes as big as saucers. Heira smiled shyly at him.

"I always wanted to do that." she admitted, and Vrumagen shook his head.

"You're impossible." He said with a grin as he laid his forehead against hers. "But I... love you and I don't want to loose you." Vrumagen whispered and Heira laughed.

"I love you too baka." Heira and Vrumagen walked hand in hand to here parent's house.

"Mother, Father... I'm sorry, but I can't go with you to Atlas City." Heira whispered and she relaxed somewhat when Vrumagen squeezed her hand lending her support. "Vrumagen and I are going to be married... please forgive me." There was a stunned silence and then her parents were laughing and hugging her all at once. "Oh darling, how could we ever begrudge you your happiness." Heira mother asked dashing at tears, and Heira looked at her parents surprised. "So you are not angry at me?"

"Silly of course not!" he father laughed. "Whatever makes you happy." Vrumagen and Heira had smiled up at each other full of hope and dreams.

Vrumagen was shocked when he felt a tear run down his cheek at the memory. He must be slipping if he was actually crying. In his arms, Heira began to cough and blood trickled down her cheek. Vrumagen set down inside a sunny clearing.

"Hang on Heira." Vrumagen whispered as he smoothed Heira's black hair away from her sweating brow.

"Vrumagen." Heira's voice was so soft, Vrumagen could hardly hear her. "Kill me please."

"What!?" Vrumagen cried.

"The people who attacked the house, they were... they were Vampires, and they said that I... I would become like them." Heira looked up at Vrumagen with tortured eyes. "They are going to track me down, please Vrumagen, don't let me become like them." Heira begged. "I don't want to become a Vampire, please. Kill me before it is too late." Heira looked up at the stars overhead. Vrumagen began to shake his head and he clutched her body close to his own.

"No, no, no." he whispered over and over again in a broken whisper. "Heira, don't do this to me."

"Vrumagen please! If you love me even a little, kill me before I become a monster like them. Please I beg of you."

"I... I can't." Vrumagen whispered.

"You have too! Because otherwise I am going to become a Vampire, would you curse me to such a life?" Vrumagen closed his eyes. "Come on you can do it. All you have to do is call for one of you spells and it will all be over." Heira smiled slightly. Vrumagen nodded his head.

"Freeze Arrow." Vrumagen whispered in a dead voice.

"Tha... Thank you." Heira whispered as Vrumagen clutched her to his chest. Something hissed and Vrumagen looked up and discovered that he was surrounded by Vampires, very angry Vampires.

"You will pay for this." The leader of the undead snarled. Vrumagen stood up and gathered a spell around him.

"Assha Dist!" were the last words the ever heard before they distentagrated at the touch of the Shamanist spell.


Vrumagen encased Heira's body in a crystal and took her to Atlas City like he planned. There he left it with Heira's lifeless shell with her grieving parents; he would have no use for it. After that Vrumagen joined priesthood and lived in the mountains far from civilization until one day. A man know as Rezo the Red Priest came to his parish. The rest, it history....

"That was so sad!" One of the children cried.

"Yes it is, and all you magick users keep this story in mind." The priest stood up. "It is nearly dark now children you had better run home before your parents begin to worry.

"Wait, what happened to Vrumagen?" the eldest boy asked.

"He rejoined his priesthood and lived out his day in a village a lot like this one. But that was nearly a hundred years ago.

"But using magick slows done your aging. He could still be alive.

"True he could, but the chances are very slim. No run along home now."

"Yes sir!" After the youth had left. The priest walked over to a small alter next to his bed. In the center of the alter was a small picture of w girl with flashing brown eyes.

"Heira." The man formally know as Vrumagen whispered as he caressed the picture's cheek. [2] "I will be with you soon." Vrumagen lay down in his bed and went to sleep. True to his word, Vrumagen died peacefully in his sleep and went to join his wife's spirit on the Otherside.


Notes

1 - And the author finds a way to lengthen this fic and maybe add some action to it pokies the sleeping readers Was it that boring?

2 - As if you hadn't guessed already!


Fanfiction