I Will Free Them ...


Watching her was sometimes just too much.

I could have been standing there with all my friends, laughing and eating like I used to. How I hate her, this Lina Inverse. I hate her confident manner, the manner of a great sorceress who knows she's good. I hate the way she treats Zelgadis, the way I used to. I hate Lina for being able to be with Gourry, the way I long to do so now.

I used to punch Gourry over the head because he insulted me. How I miss his remarkably dense comments. He didn't deserve to die.

I can see Zelgadis's quiet support and companionship. That rock was true to his nature, steadfast and everlasting. He had stayed until the very end, supporting me with his presence as the backlash hit us. He knew he would die.

Amelia. What an amazingly annoying brat she is. I would've liked to have met her.

Even now, my other self was scanning the forest in a furtive way to discover if I followed her.

Oh yes, my dear Lina Inverse. I am here. I am your shadow, you know. I will follow you and make sure everything is as it should be. Everything will be put back to order.

This thought soothed my mind.

Yes, you are worthless, just like me. It was only luck that enabled you to handle the Giga Slave and not become like what I've become. Even you have not escaped all of my fate for that Mazoku hangs around like the demon he is.

This freedom and admiration is only a facade. Xellos is a name I will never forget. Those ameythist eyes had shown with the same pleasantness when he took his turn to break my spirit, take what little power I had left after my failure, and kill my friends. For all Mazoku had enjoyed hunting them down and toying with me, him especially.

Don't you worry, Lina Inverse. I will free you from him and all his brethren stand for. I will free all of them. I owe that much to Gourry and Zelgadis. And I must save Amelia from the harsh reality that the world will never support justice. Justice is just the dream of the naive and innocent.

Yes, I must save them all from that Mazoku.

For this world is only hell in disguise. It will rear its ugly head soon enough and I will save who I can from the fate I had endured before Lina had brought me here through the mirror.

Yes, I know why fate has sent me to this world where Lina Inverse still has red-gold hair.

I must save her from herself. I must save me.

I alone know the truth, the harsh bare truth that I must save them all from.


Fanfiction