Part 4: Interesting Ideas


Notes

navy = dreams


"That'll be fifteen silver pieces, Miss." The ice cream vendor sweatdropped as he handed the red-haired girl her two ice cream cones, which were both twelve feet high and topped with every flavor ever invented. She drooled in response and carted the ice cream over to Gourry, who was sitting in the shade of an oak tree in Myeria Central Park. Rawnie was seated on a nearby bench, teaching Amelia the finer points of the game "Boxers or Briefs?" while watching the young men of Myeria pass by.

"Um...briefs?"

"Wrong. Definitely boxers."

"What about him?"

"Boxers again. You've got to have an eye for this sort of thing. It's important to know."

"What for?"

"Err...nevermind." Rawnie turned her attention back to the guys in the park. "Briefs over there. What about him, Amelia-chan?"

"Uh...boxers?"

"Bingo! You're finally catching on! Boxers again."

"Boxers there, too."

Rawnie saw Zelgadis walking by and grinned. "Briefs," she said loud enough for him to hear. The chimera blushed as he realized what they were talking about and hurried over to where Lina and Gourry were seated. "Boxers."

"Briefs."

A pair of silk navy-blue pants walked towards them, bewildering Rawnie for a second. "Um..." she hesitated, baffled. The owner of the pants stopped in front of them. Both looked up into Xelloss's ever-smiling face.

"Bum to the breeze," he told them mischeviously.

Amelia turned bright red and Rawnie made a strage face. "Too much information..."

The Trickster Priest grinned. "We should be leaving this town soon. It's dangerous here now."

Rawnie nodded in agreement. "Because of those other Mazoku. Lina's not too pleased that you're traveling with us again, by the way. She's especially ticked that Zel didn't keep you away."

"Hai, hai. Lina-san has quite a temper, ne?"

"No kidding." Rawnie sweatdropped as she watched the red-haired sorceress pummeling her blond companion for no apparent reason. "Er..."


The green-haired girl tossed and turned in her sleep, furthur entangling herself in the folds of her sleeping bag. She mumbled briefly, catching the attention of a certain Mazoku who was sitting nearby, poking at the dying embers of a campfire. He rarely slept, which unnerved his companions just a little. He peered over at Rawnie, who was apparently having some kind of dream. Xelloss himself didn't dream like humans did, and he wondered what she was dreaming about.


She was walking through the ruins of a small village. Crumbled buildings littered the area, their old bricks scorched with the marks of flame. Old human bones were scattered everywhere, also with burn marks. Rawnie brushed aside some rubble with her foot, revealing a broken shop sign. Most of the rubble was unrecognizable, but the words on this sign were familiar. "C'Neidara Magic Shop..." She kept on walking, looking at the miserable wreckage around her. A familiar scrap of cloth caught her eye and she knelt by a pile of debris to see what it was. A dirty rag doll, it's yarn hair almost nonexistant and only one of its blue button eyes still there. Rawnie picked it up sadly. "My dolly..."

A pair of arms wrapped themselves around her shoulders from behind, startling her. "Revenge..." a deep male voice whispered in her ear, its sound like the rumble of thunder. "You want revenge on the dragons, don't you. For what they did to you and your family."

Rawnie shrugged his arms off irritably and tried to turn around to see this mystery man, but found that she couldn't. "What are you talking about? Xelloss already killed off most of the Gold Dragons. It's over and done with."

He chuckled with amusement, a deafening sound. "Is it? You still feel resentment towards their kind. Why not take your revenge upon the rest of their race?" His breath was hot on her neck again, and he whispered seductively in her ear. "I can give you the power to do that. I can help you to take your revenge."

"You mean kill off an entire race because of what a group of individuals did?" Rawnie snorted derisively. "Yeah, like I would ever want to do that. Who are you, you who would try and entice me to do such a horrible thing?"

She could almost feel him smile. "Do you really want to know? Then look upon me, my Daughter..." Rawnie found she was suddenly able to move again, and she turned to look at the owner of that commanding voice: A tall, well-muscled male, his long hair as black as pitch, with armor the color of midnight and flawless bronze skin. But his eyes...his pupiless eyes...were red.

Red eyes. Ruby eyes.


Rawnie awoke to the insistent shaking of Amelia, who was calling her name. It was morning. "Rawnie-san! Rawnie-san! Wake up!"

"Nnn..." she yawned and rubbed her eyes, the morning sun was too bright. "Oy, Amelia-chan...did I oversleep?"

"No. But you were talking in your sleep. Did you have a nightmare?"

Rawnie sat up and stretched tiredly. "No, not exactly..." She rubbed the bleariness from her eyes and looked around at her companions, who were also just awakening. The first thing she noticed was that Xelloss was nowhere to be seen. Probably off doing Mazoku stuff, she decided, yawning visibly. She suddenly felt an odd tickle on her leg and looked down to see a small, brown-colored creature crawling on her. A spider. "AAAUUUUUUUUGGGHHHH!!" she shrieked. "FIREBALL!!!"


The group, due to the fact that many of their belongings had been incinerated by the fireball, decided to take up residence in the nearest town for awhile. It was a good thing, too, since a thunderstorm had brewed up as soon as they checked into the Sonria Local Inn. All were reclining in the girls' room, either discussing plans or goofing off. The three girls usually shared a room when they traveled; it was less expensive that way and allowed for them to get Xelloss his own room so Gourry and Zelgadis wouldn't have to share one with him. Lina was sitting next to Gourry at the foor of her bed, while he polished the Hikari no Ken. Zelgadis leaned in the doorway, talking with them. Amelia was sprawled on the floor, drawing a picture, while Rawnie was reading a book on her bed. Xelloss was floating around observing everyone and generally being a pest.

Lina tuned out Gourry and Zel's conversation about daggers and regarded her other companions thoughtfully. She was very suspicious of Xelloss and Rawnie. Especially after that incident with the Lesser Mazoku attacking her. The green-haired girl had expelled an impressive amound of power, using a spell Lina had never heard of. There wasn't even an incantation. She cast the spell with a single word. And that was what scared Lina the most. The redhead considered herself to be a rather powerful sorceress, perhaps one of the most powerful in the world. Even she couldn't use magic without saying an incantation. And Rawnie didn't seem that experienced in magic at all. Lina had even had to teach her a spell that translated the Runic writing in the book she was reading to her own language. Che, I'm not sure if she can be trusted anymore. She seems like a harmless enough person, but I'm still suspicious. I don't doubt that she's telling the truth when she says she's just an ordinary girl, but I think she's something more, Lina thought to herself. What's scary is that she doesn't know what she is. And I think Xelloss does, but he's not talking.

"ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!"

Lina's thoughts were interrupted by a shriek of annoyance from the green-haired girl on the bed, who had been quietly engrossed in her book moments before. She was now muttering darkly and glaring at the book. "What's the matter?"

Rawnie jabbed an accusing finger at the page she was reading and turned to the others. "It's one of those stupid tension-filled romantic moments that I hate. You know, where they like each other, but both are too scared to make the first move so nothing ends up happening. ARGH! Just jump each other already!!" she yelled at the book, undoubtedly directed at the two main characters. The others sweatdropped as Rawnie flipped through the following pages and released another screech of irritation. "This goes on for twenty more pages???" She then proceeded to use her extensive vocabulary to curse out the book's author.

Lina sighed and rolled her eyes. "Why are you reading that, anyway? You don't seem like the type who'd enjoy all that romance stuff."

"I don't. The innkeeper's wife lent this to me after I was complaining that I had no reading material. All my books are back home in my room. They're GOOD literature. Not like this trash." She tossed the book aside and pulled out her sketchbook.


Kaltier paced back and forth across the creaky floorboards of his dingy little room at the Sonria Local Inn, feeling both angered and cornered. He normally never questioned his master's orders, but this time he was sure she must have had some screws loose when she instructed him. Kaltier paused to glance at himself in the mirror. Instead of his usual midnight-colored robes, he was clad in the garb and armor of a mercenary swordsman. Their shades of green and silver matched his emerald eyes and made his medium-length black hair stand out. He'd managed to disguise his slit pupils and the non-reflective quality of his eyes. He looked very human and non-threatening, and he quite frankly felt uncomfortable. What the hell was she thinking? There's no way I'll be able to deceive them. And even if I do, Zelas's servant will know I'm Mazoku the moment he sees me. Che...

Trichere-sama had always been a calm, collected master. But lately she'd become crazy, almost...obsessive about gaining the trust of His Knight. Kaltier knew that having the favor of the Knight would greatly strengthen her power and position, but she was acting like she couldn't live without it. She was irrational. But she is still my master. I must join Lina Inverse's group and gain her trust, like I was told. Then I will make my move and se...se... Damn. He couldn't believe Trichere-sama had ordered him to seduce the Knight of Shabranigdo. What did he know about that, anyway? He didn't even know how humans would go about doing something like that! Or Mazoku, for that matter. I'm backed into a corner with this. I can attempt the plan and get killed by Xelloss Metallium, or I can refuse and get killed by Trichere-sama. Gee, such a decision, he thought sarcastically, mentally cursing his master for putting him in such a position. He had to follow her orders. Her punishment would be worse than anything the Trickster Priest could dish out. But seducing a young girl? I don't know how to go about doing that, especially with a human. I don't know anything about females human or Mazoku. Hell, I've never even...well... Kaltier ended that thought right there. Even so, how am I going to infiltrate their group? I need to find a way...


The green-haired girl sat idly in her chair, tipped back and leaning against the grimy tavern wall, absent-mindedly swirling her unopen bottle of ale. She had finally gotten away from her companions, who were whiny and bored because the rain had forced them to stay in Sonria for a few days. Rawnie sighed and shook her head. It wasn't like they were actually headed anywhere special. They didn't even have a planned destination. The girl glanced suspiciously at some of the local customers, who were now leering at her. Dirty old perverts. At least it wasn't the two arrogant young men who'd been hitting on her before. It had taken awhile to get rid of them, but after stating that her personal hobbies included torturing and killing humans, they got the hint and left. Rawnie popped off the cork of her ale bottle and took a sip, noticing that the liquor was much less bitter than she'd expected.

"Planning on getting drunk?"

A familiar voice. Xelloss. She looked up at him over the rim of her bottle. "Oh, hi there."

He gestured towards the bottle. "What's with this? You bored or something?"

"Out of my skull," she answered, motioning for him to sit down. "Plus, everyone's really getting on my nerves. They'll never look for me here." She took a swig from the bottle, then offered it to him. "Want some? Or does alcohol not have the same effect on Mazoku?"

He took the offered bottle with grace. "Sore wa himitsu desu! Let's find out, shall we?"

Rawnie shrugged. "Why not? Nothing livens up a dull evening better than a couple of drunken adventurers."

Xelloss passed the bottle back to her, an evil little smirk on his face. "Bet I can stay sober longer than you."

"Is that a challenge?"

"Maybe so."

"Then you're on." She slammed a palm down on the table. "Bartender! A round of drinks for my friend and I! And keep 'em comin'!"


Some time later, the two staggered down the upstairs hallway of the Sonria Local Inn, arms linked and an off-key song bursting from their lips. Zelgadis poked his head out of his room to see what all the commotion was and proceeded to sweatdrop. He turned back to his companions, who were gathered around a mysterious black-haired swordsman. "I've found our missing associates..."

Lina peered around him and facevaulted as Rawnie and Xelloss reached a particularly loud, annoying verse of the song. She stopped the drunken pair from continuing down the hall and tapped her foot impatiently. "And just where have you two been?"

Rawnie wobbled into the room, her cheeks flushed and eyes bleary. "Jussst havin' some f-fun..." she slurred, tripping over a chair. "Heehee..." She bumped into a profusely sweatdropping young man. "Oops, sorry, s-sir...hee...who're you?"

Lina rubbed her temples in frustration. "While you were off getting totally plastered, we got attacked by some Lesser Mazoku. This guy here helped us fight them off. His name's Kalen."

"Mmm...nice to meet yoouu..." Rawnie promptly passed out on the floor.

Xelloss giggled uncharacteristically and clutched his half-empty bottle of ale. "Whoo! Looksss like she overdid it!" He raised the bottle to his lips and slumped against a wall, giggling fitfully before falling into unconsciousness.

"....."


Rawnie awoke the next morning with a monstrous headache. Pounding in her skull. She forced her eyes open and stared into the painful blinding light of day, quickly closing them again and turning away. "Itai..." How long had she been asleep? It was really bright outside. Well, at least the thunderstorms have stopped. But so much pain...nngh...I feel terrible.

A familiar laughing sound came from the other end of the bed. She cracked one eye open to look at the offending person sitting on her bed and groaned when she saw who it was. "Don't even tell me Mazoku don't get hangovers," she muttered and stuffed her head under her pillow. "Just go away..."

The Trickster Priest grinned at her, amused. "Lina-san wants to leave today."

"I'm not going anywhere," was the muffled reply.

His grin widened slightly; he could sense the pain she felt and relished in it for a moment. But time was ticking and the discomfort did not please her at all. "Here, drink this. You'll feel better."

Rawnie peered out at him from under the pillow. "Oh, so you're trying to poison me now?"

Xelloss cocked his head to the side innocently. "Would I do that?"

"Yes, you would," she answered, but took the offered cup anyway. Surprisingly, it did lessen the pain drastically and stopped the dizziness as well. She examined the liquid left in the cup with interest. "What is this stuff? You could make a fortune selling it in my world..."

He smirked. "It's dragon's blood."

She stared at him. "Please tell me you're joking..."

"Sore wa himitsu desu!"

She rolled out of bed and proceeded to kick him out of the room so she could change into a non-wrinkled pair of clothes. Lina and Amelia's belongings were already packed and waiting by the door, affirming what Xelloss had said about Lina wanting to leave. Rawnie quickly packed up her things and went downstairs to join the others at breakfast. She pulled up a chair next to Amelia and proceeded to steal a plate of sausages from her. The princess didn't notice, she was too busy keeping Lina and Gourry from killing each other over a stack of pancakes.

"Lina-san! Don't hit Gourry-san with that table!"

Rawnie stabbed a sausage with Amelia's fork and stuffed it into her mouth, just noticing the black-haired man who was sitting across from her. "Who're you?"

Zelgadis looked at her over his mug of coffee. "We introduced him to you last night."

Rawnie sweatdropped. "I actually don't remember too much about last night. Let's see...you are...Kal...Kallie?"

"Um, actually, it's Kalen." The young man looked her over with his piercing green eyes. Rawnie thought there was something remotely funny about his eyes, but she brushed it off. He looked average enough.

"Lina-san!! It's not nice to throw chairs!"

Zelgadis ignored the commotion at his right. "Kalen-san helped us in a fight last night against some Lesser Mazoku. Lina has agreed to accompany him on a quest."

"A quest? You mean something other than sitting around here and listening to you guys whine?" She gave the black-haired man the thumbs-up sign and grinned. "Arigato, Kalen-san! So what kind of quest is this?"

Kaltier examined her thoughtfully before spinning his carefully crafted lie once more. "I'm looking for a legendary treasure, which exists in a tale that has been passed down through my family for generations. This collection of treasure is located in an old jinja, which is guarded by a tribe of natives called Miwagi. No one has ever been able to find this treasure, or even get past the Miwagi."

Rawnie gulped down another sausage. "And let me guess...you offered Lina half the treasure to help you find it." He nodded in response. "Ah, figures." She looked around the table at the others, noticing an absentee. "Hey, where's Xelloss?"


Zelas Metallium took a long drag on her cigarette before she addressed her servant, who bowed respectfully in front of her. "I'm not exactly pleased with your progress, Xelloss. Why have you let Lady Trichere's pet get so close?"

"My lady, his presence is no cause for alarm," her servant assured her. "He is a relatively young Mazoku and poses little threat to your plan. He will not get in my way. Besides," he added, "his little 'quest' will keep Lina-san and her friends focused on that and away from our dear little Knight."

"How is she...progressing?"

"She has already used His power twice. I imagine she will soon experience some kind of contact with Him, if she hasn't already."

"Good." The Beastmaster took a long look at her priest/general. "I would also like to inquire about your behavior towards her. I never ordered you to act as such, Xelloss."

The Trickster smiled secretively. "True, but you also never forbid it, Metallium-sama. Think of it as...a way to strengthen your original plan."

She considered this for a moment. "Very well. But Xelloss," she warned, "don't break her."

He gave her a lopsided grin. "I wouldn't think of it."


Part 5   |   Fanfiction