Part 8: Chaos and a Return to Normalcy


Rawnie sleepily opened one eye and glanced into the soft beams of golden sunlight that sparkled in the magic-filled room. She closed that eye again and somewhere in the back of her mind it registered that the sunlight wasn't real, it was just an illusion. She felt all warm and fuzzy inside, contented and safe. She didn't want to wake up at all, but her brain was already telling her that she was late for something. Unwillingly, she opened both her eyes, allowing them a few moments to adjust to the light that fell across the tangle of fabric and flesh in the bed.

She really didn't want to get up. Rawnie looked over at Xelloss, who was sleeping quietly beside her, his chest rising and falling with even breaths. She rolled over softly and snuggled closer to her lover, breathing in the scent of his hair and wishing that morning hadn't come. She wanted only to stay in the warmth, forever.

The Mazoku stirred in his sleep, opening his amethyst eyes a crack and peering down at Rawnie. He smiled lazily at her and stroked her hair, very glad he'd brought her to one of his domains. Finally, she belonged to him. Those yellow eyes...those beautiful yellow eyes looked at him only, focused their attention on him only. Finally. Xelloss fingered her lower lip gingerly, wondering if there was time to play again before they had to leave. He decided he didn't care, then proceeded to chuckle softly and kiss the green-haired girl once again.


Amelia brushed her thick hair slowly, thinking of the events that were to take place that morning. The Miwagi priestesses would lead her, Kalen, and her companions to their Sacred Temple, a place they called "Kurushimu no Jinja." Her friends were coming along only because she requested it; ceremonies were usually carried out without witnesses. Lina had come up with a plan to steal the temple's treasure during the ceremony, which was the only reason they weren't just going to blow out of there before the ceremony took place.

She sighed. She didn't really want to go through with all this, especially since it was such an embarassing situation. But she had to be the diplomat, as always. Had to follow the customs of a foreign land. Even if they did embarrass her greatly. And she had to help Lina retrieve whatever treasure was said to be hidden there. Amelia sighed again. Thank the gods Kalen wasn't there. Finally, she had some time to herself.

There was an abrupt knock at the door. Zelgadis stepped through the doorway and looked around for a moment before his eyes finally rested on the black-haired princess. "Hi, Amelia. Good, Kalen's not here."

"You shouldn't walk into people's houses uninvited," she reprimanded him.

"Sorry," he apologized sheepishly. "Amelia, I need to talk to you about something important. I want you be careful around Kalen from now on."

Amelia gave him a confused look. "What are you talking about? Kalen-san is one of us. I've nothing to fear from him."

"But you do," the chimera insisted. "He's not like us! He's a..."

Zelgadis's statement was interrupted by the creak of the door, which was slowly opening. The black-haired Mazoku-in-question poked his head in the door. "Amelia-san, the elder is ready to leave for the Kurushimu no Jinja," he informed her. "She'd like to go right now."

"Okay," Amelia replied cheerfully and put down her brush before following him outside. Zelgadis growled under his breath and vowed to keep a close eye on her throughout the whole ordeal.

At the far end of the village was gathered a small cluster of people. The included the elder Kalila, Lina, Gourry, Somei, and several high-ranking Miwagi priestesses. Amelia's first question as soon as they reached the group was, "Where's Xelloss-san and Rawnie-san?"

Zelgadis's eyes narrowed slightly. He had a pretty good idea of where they might be at this moment, but he wasn't going to say anything. The others didn't know that Rawnie was the Knight of Shabranigdo, either. He wasn't sure if he should fill them in on that, knowing Lina would be upset if she knew and Gourry wouldn't understand any of it. "Well, we can't wait around forever."

"We're over here!!" Rawnie's voice called. Everyone turned and saw the missing two standing under a nearby oak, looking nonchalant. They hadn't been there a moment ago. "Sorry we're late!"

"What happened to you?" Lina asked them as they approached the group.

"Overslept," was the noncommittal reply. Zelgadis raised an eyebrow at this, but didn't say anything. Neither did anyone else.

The Miwagi temple was located at the top of a cliff, on a small mountain which they had to climb to get there. None were too happy about the climb, but the prospect of treasure forced them to go on. Kaltier was growing a little nervous. If there wasn't some kind of treasure at this temple, he was screwed. They'd know for sure he was a Mazoku. He thought he'd be able to seduce the Knight of Shabranigdo by then, but he hadn't been able to get anywhere near her. Xelloss had seen to that.

And he'd been punished for it by Trichere-sama several times. When he though about it, the whole thing wasn't worth it. Ever since he'd gone to work for Trichere, he'd been sent on ridiculous missions like this one. And he'd been beaten each time he failed, even if it hadn't been his fault. She had never been a very good master. Kaltier was sure she'd gone insane this time. He had previously considered leaving her service, but was deathly afraid of what she might do to him.

Yet he was now considering leaving again. For reasons none of his race would ever willingly admit. He was actually growing to enjoy the company of his human companions. He didn't want to use them for his own purposes, nor did he want to lie to them anymore. Especially Amelia. He...he almost wished he were human. It was unheard of for a Mazoku to wish such a thing. But if he were human, he wouldn't have to lie. If he were human, he would be worthy of the affections he felt for Amelia. If he were human, he would be free.

Kaltier's thoughts were interrupted by their arrival at the Kurushimu no Jinja. It was an old, Arabian-style building with fountains and statues adorning the outside. There was no way it could have been built by the Miwagi. It wasn't enormous, but it was large enough for a treasure to be hidden inside. Kalila led the group into the building, past cobwebbed corners and rotten tapestries. It was obvious that this temple was built by a different culture, one much more advanced than the Miwagi. It slightly resembled those existing in Sailoon, but with a much darker tone.

Xelloss was intrigued by this temple; it gave off a strange aura of power. He couldn't quite place what it was, but it seemed rather familiar. Although, his attention was focused mostly on this lover. She belonged to him now. That's all he ever wanted, to own that beautiful creature. He gave her a secretive smile when she looked at him, one which she returned gleefully. Yes, it was all worth it to have her smile at him...at him only.

Kalila led the group to a large chamber in the middle of the building one with numerous fountains and pools running through it. She explained that this was the room used to conduct ceremonies, since it contained so much water. The Miwagi regarded water as a sacred thing, since it was essential to life. And so they would connect a slave to his owner by partaking of the water together. Amelia thought this ritual sounded rather odd, especially since slaves were often traded or given away.

The princess noticed that Lina and Gourry were already missing. They'd probably snuck off to find the treasure early. It was a good idea, since they probably wouldn't have been able to leave during the ceremony. It would have been too suspicious.

Kalila was saying something. "I order commencement of ceremony. Take position." The priestesses were moving into a circle around the room's biggest fountain, which sprouted from a pool of crystal-clear water. Amelia shifted nervously, hoping Lina and Gourry would hurry up.


Lina picked her way around a series of tall pillars, wary of their crumbling nature. She pulled Gourry along behind her, ignoring the fact that he kept yelping whenever a piece of pillar hit him in the head. The rooms they'd already been through were pretty much empty and devoid of treasure. It was essential that they find the treasure before Amelia's ritual was finished. Otherwise, they'd be caught red-handed and unable to easily escape. "Gourry, you go that way and I'll go this way. Sorry about the split-up, but we don't have much time. Try to hurry, okay?"

He nodded at her and trotted off in the other direction, vaguely wishing he'd brought his sword with him. But slaves weren't allowed to carry weapons, so it was out of the question. Gourry looked back for a moment at his comrade's disappearing form and smiled a little. He'd traveled with Lina for a long time...a very long time. And over that time he'd become very fond of the sorceress. She was fond of him, too, but perhaps not in the same way. Which is why he kept quiet about it, content to live just as her friend for the time being.

His task at hand brought him back to reality, recalling that he was supposed to be searching for treasure. The blond swordsman poked his head around a chipped doorframe and took a quick look around the blandly decorated room, and seeing nothing of worth, decided to move on. And so it continued all the way down the hallway, until he reached the very last room.

At first glance, the room appeared to be dull and seemingly empty. Gourry almost moved on, but a flicker of azure caught his eye. He peered closer into the room, taking a few strides inside. The blue color glinted off some glossy surface at the back of the room, behind a variety of odd carvings and the like. He stepped closer and realized that the shiny color belonged to a large blue jewel...a sapphire, perhaps. It was mounted on the hilt of an ornate-looking sword embedded in an oddly-engraved lump of plaster. He immediately thought, Jackpot! and pulled the sword from its rock-like home, not bothering to read the inscriptions on it.

And the room exploded with light.


Xelloss's head snapped up as the walls around him began to shake with a frightening speed. He heard several of the Miwagi women shriek in fear, no longer paying attention to the ceremony. Ignoring their terrified cries, he reached out with his Mazoku senses and enveloped the quaking walls, searching for a reason. He felt power, enormous power that appeared to radiate from every inch of the temple. His eyes went wide as he realized the kind of power he sensed. He'd felt it before. It was the same level of power he'd felt when Dark Star appeared. The power of another world...

His lover stiffened beside him, somehow drawing the same conclusion he had. She watched with horror as tongues of fire swept through the room, consuming the priestesses who were lined up at the water's edge. "Masaka..."

Youthful laughter filled the air as the temple's destruction took place around them. A small child, freckled and red-haired, walked out of the billowing smoke and stood mockingly before the troupe of humans and Mazoku. "The scent of charred flesh is so delicious, isn't it?"

Kaltier's eyes widened with shock and surprise. "T-Trichere-sama???"

Amelia snapped her head around to look at him. "You know her?"

The Mazoku Trichere threw her head back and laughed, an odd thing for a child to do. "Ah, my traitorous servant. Do you think that your punishment has come so soon? From your failure to gain me the Knight of Shabranigdo? Do you, Kaltier?"

Amelia blinked and stared at the black-haired man. "....what?"

The childlike Mazoku continued to speak. "You see, I no longer have use for you. You've done your job by leading them here, to this place where gods can be summoned." A wicked smile crossed over her face. "And the seal that separates our world from the next has been lifted."

Xelloss opened his mouth in shock. "You can't possibly..."

The look in her eyes was wild an uncontrolled. "Since I have failed to gain more power from Shabranigdo, I'm looking elsewhere. To someone just as powerful." Her smile widened frighteningly. "Chaotic Blue."

Rawnie began to tremble with fear and disbelief. From what she remembered about Slayers, Chaotic Blue was one of the "yon-kai no ma-ou", the four lords under the Lord of Nightmares. He was the devil on one of the other staffs of existance, like Shabranigdo was on this one. Has she summoned Chaotic Blue to this world? How? How could she be able to do that?

Before she could even react, the entire temple began to crumble and fall. Dark power coursed throughout the area, strong winds of magic knocking her back into the walls...or what was left of them. She let out a half-strangled cry as she finally saw the dreaded monster, a nasty mass of teeth and power. It raged on, leathery wings beating against the vulnerable earth and devouring all in its path.

Trichere looked up at the beast and smiled as it opened a gaping mouth. "So, you want to consume me first? Go ahead," were the last words she ever spoke.

Zelgadis swore under his breath and leaped for Amelia, pulling her out of harm's way. The two tumbled into Somei, causing all three to fall in an unruly heap on the ground. The red-striped girl was crying out for her fellow spellcasters, none of whom she could see. The destruction seemed to have no end.

The green-haired girl was in full panic mode. What do I do?!! WhatdoIdowhatdoIdowhatdoIdo???!!! her mind screamed over and over. None of them could stop a being as powerful as Chaotic Blue. Heck, the only one in this world who might possibly match the devil was Shabranigdo.

Rawnie's head snapped up. Shabranigdo. That's right, I can call on him! Shabby! Hey, Shabby!! If you can hear me now, answer! I promise I'll never bother you again! Just answer me this once!!

To her relief, His presence filled her mind, also sensing the destruction that raged on around her. You wish to stop him?

Yes! she pleaded desperately. He's killing everyone! I can't let him hurt my friends!

Nor your lover? He asked in an amused fashion.

This is no time to be cracking jokes! Just stop him!

You ask too much. I cannot fight Chaotic Blue if I do not exist in a tangible form. I have no body to inhabit.

Then...then...then use mine!!

Xelloss dodged a blast from the raging beast and turned to shout a warning to Rawnie. But his words caught in his throat as he saw her glow red and her body begin to expand...


Lina rushed through the temple's remains, flames biting at her ankles. The smoke was simultaneously choking and blinding her. "Gourry!" she screamed frantically as she ran, eyes peeled for any sign of the blond swordsman. "Gourry!!" Gods, if anything happened to him, I don't know what I'll do...I'll never forgive myself... "GOURRY!!!"

The sound of a weak cough stopped her in her tracks. She turned quickly and peered through the smoke, searching desperately for the source of that cough. "Lina?"

"Gourry??" The sorceress ran to his side. He was sprawled against a crumbled wall, clutching a blue-tipped sword in his hands. He looked a bit bruised, but otherwise okay. "What happened?"

He shook his blond head in confusion. "I don't know. I pulled this sword out of that rock over there, and everything went boom!"

"This sword?" She took it from him and looked at it for a moment, noticing the inscriptions on it. Her eyes widened in disbelief. "Gourry n-no...no...BAKA!!!"


Two luminous beings, one blue, the other red, grappled with each other on a battlefield of air. Their struggle was pure savagery, a contest of will and strength. Both beings were nearly featureless and looked like unidentifiable masses of power. Heaving back and forth, they raged on at each other like wolves, each fighting to subdue its opponent. It vaguely resembled the convergence of two storms, both equally strong yet still willing to fight to the death. The battle continued for some time, not quite avoiding the other beings involved. They had to continuously duck out of the way to keep from accidentally getting killed.

Amelia leapt behind a fallen pillar, saving herself from a painful fate. She sighed with relief, only to look up and see a chunk of burning material flying straight at her. She froze.

"Amelia!!" a sharp cry cut through the noise of the battle. She saw a darker shape phaze in front of her just as the burning material struck.

"Ka...len..." Her eyes widened in horror as he collapsed on the ground, his chest obliterated by the supernatural blow. "Kale-Kaltier, no!! Why??"

"Because," came the weakened reply. "Because, I could never...let you get hurt..." He coughed violently, his breath coming only in shallow gasps. "It's all I can do...I would never be worthy of your...your company...it's all I can do, protect you..." he murmured absently, his eyes beginning to close of his own accord.

"Kaltier..." she whispered in horror. "Kaltier!!!"

Behind her, the world almost seemed to split as an ear-piercing scream echoed throughout the skies. Shabranigdo's blazing red form recoiled in agony and fell from the air. The Dark Lord screamed again as Rawnie's body pulsated and writhed back into its usual form, throwing him out.

Rawnie, back in her body, moaned and sat up, feeling rather battered. She quickly found herself in Xelloss's arms; he was holding onto her tightly. "We lost...we lost..." she said in a monotone voice, as if still shocked. "There's nothing we can do." She clung to her Mazoku lover as Chaotic Blue descended upon them, jaws gaping and claws extended. She closed her eyes and clung tighter, knowing that both their lives were about to end.


And then all was silent. She could no longer hear Chaotic Blue's roaring, no longer feel Xelloss's arms around her. It was oddly lonely...and cold. She was lying on something cold. Rawnie opened her eyes timidly, not knowing what to expect. Cement? She sat up quickly and scanned the area around her. Hats. Pails. Wood. Posterboard. Books. Costumes.

Nani?! She was inside a room. A familiar room...it was the prop room back at school! In her own world! Her brow furrowed in confusion, a million questions filling her mind. Rawnie started to stand up, but tripped over a pile of...'paint buckets?!' And setpieces. And brushes. Rawnie's mind raced. She never left the prop room. She never went to the stage. She never saw Zelgadis and Xelloss fighting there. It was...a dream? The thought hit her hard. It was all just a dream? No, no, that can't be right! She ran out and down the hall, pushing open the stage door and hoping to see her lover waiting for her on the stage.

And saw nothing. Nothing but the cold, hard stage. It was just a dream... Her legs trembled and she collapsed onto the floor, unable to believe that the wonderful adventures she'd just experienced never really happened. "Just a dream..." she mumbled, tears beginning to fall from her quivering eyes. It was all a dream. Now she was back in reality. No swordfights. No magic. No adventures. And no Xelloss.

She burst into sobs at that revelation, burying her head into her hands. "That's not fair...that's not fair..." she cried in desperation. "It can't have been a dream!! That's not fair!! All my hopes...all my happiness...gone...THEY'RE GONE!!" she screamed, tears running down her face. "NO!!!"


Xelloss awoke with a start, sweat dripping off his face. His mind was still focused on the battle, Chaotic Blue towering over him and threatening to devour everything. He blinked a little, realizing he was back in his domain...the one he and Rawnie had shared. The Trickster felt beside him for his lover, confused when he realized that she wasn't there. Had he...had he imagined it all? The battle, the Miwagi, Kaltier, Trichere...........Rawnie. Had it all been a...a dream?

He didn't dream. Ever. But here he was, back in his domain. There was no Rawnie. No anything. It had all been a dream. A stupid, happy dream. He felt a huge wave of disappointment wash over him and clutched his sheets in anger. Does L-sama hate me this much? he wondered bitterly. To give me a dream like that and then to bring me back to reality is...like tearing my heart out.

But Mazoku didn't dream. Ever. And the knowledge of this did nothing to help the excruciating pain of loneliness...of having to be alone once again.


The Lord of Nightmares watched the Mazoku and the human through a dim piece of glass, feeling a momentary stab of guilt at having separated the two. They seemed so hopeless now...so alone. She almost couldn't bear seeing Her children in such emotional anguish. But it was necessary to separate them. To get rid of Chaotic Blue. If the Knight of Shabranigdo had stayed in that world, He would have killed her. "It is better this way. At least they are alive."

Neither would have survived. Nor would have the rest of the world, so L-sama was forced to step in. Much as She hated doing so, she didn't want one of the staffs of existance to be obliterated. The Lord of Nightmares walked away from the vision of her two children. "It is better this way." She paused for a moment, turned back to look again at the piece of glass, feeling slightly troubled. "I think..."


Part 9   |   Fanfiction