Epilogue


Notes

I had planned to end the One Single Wish series with Part 8, but since so many people complained about the ending, I wrote an epilogue for it. The song used in this is In His Eyes from the Jekyll&Hyde musical. Enjoy!


I sit and watch the rain
And see my tears run down the windowpane...
I sit and watch the sky
And I can hear it breathe a sigh...

I think of him
How we were...
And when I think of him
Then I remember...remember...

The wiry girl with the dyed-brown hair worked diligently on the rather large setpiece before her, brush thick with red paint. She wore a pair of tight canvas shorts and a tank top, both of which were spattered with various colors. The paint also covered her arms and legs, and was streaked across her face. A rather messy job it was. Her left wrist sported a dirty watch and her college identification card hung from a colorful woven belt, tied carelessly at her waist.

She wiped a bead of sweat from her brow, further smearing the paint on her face. But she wasn't the only one who looked like that. The rest of the members of Drama Central's technical crew were situated on the stage, making the set and putting various special effects setups in their places.

It was what she'd always wanted to do: work for a college drama company run completely by students. She'd been chosen as director of the tech crew, much to her great joy. Being in charge gave her choice in what actually went on the stage, gave her creative freedom.

In his eyes I can see
Where my heart longs to be!
In his eyes a gentle glow
And that's where I'll be safe, I know!

Safe in his arms, close to his heart...
But I don't know where to start...

Sometimes she wondered exactly how she'd been able to pick up the pieces of her shattered life and keep going. How she'd gotten to where she was - after all that - was a complete mystery. Somehow she'd gotten it all back together, somehow had been able to push it out of her mind.

Even after she'd found out it all hadn't been a dream. And oh, the lies she'd had to tell... Explaining to her mother - who ironically had recently informed her that she was adopted - why she was no longer a virgin had been quite a trick, especially after the shock of finding out that information herself. It hadn't been a dream at all! She'd actually gone to the Slayers world, actually had met the characters and actually lived an adventure.

But that knowledge hurt her even more and nearly erased the emotional repair she'd previously done. Xelloss...how she'd struggled to get on without him...

By looking in his eyes,
Will I see beyond tomorrow?
By looking in his eyes,
Will I see beyond the sorrow
That I feel?

Will his eyes reveal to me
Promises, or lies?
But he can't conceal from me
The love in his eyes!

"Rawnie! Hey, Miss Director! Where do you want these to go?" The tall, gangly looking boy haphazardly waved around a series of halogen lightbulbs.

I know their every look
His eyes!
They're like an open book
His eyes!

But most of all the look
That hypnotized me!

"Just leave 'em in that corner for now. And be careful!!"

"Rawnie, what do you want me to do with these picket-fence pieces?"

"Stick them in the prop room after they dry, out of the way. Krager! Quit fooling around over there and get back to work!"

If I'm wise,
I will walk away,
And gladly...

It still hurt to think about him. It hurt to think about ever falling in love again, about forgetting him and finding herself someone else. She hadn't found herself someone else. She couldn't bring herself to do it. No one could compare to him, no one could make her feel the way he did. She missed him so much.

But, sadly,
I'm not wise
It's so hard to talk away
The memories that you prize!

"Um, Rawn?" Her assistant was at her elbow, gesturing to the double-doors at the front of the auditorium. "There's someone here to see you."

"Tell them I'm busy."

"Well..." the girl hesitated. "I don't think this is the sort of person you can tell that to."

Rawnie raised an eyebrow at her. Curiosity piqued, she put down her paintbrush and stood, dusting off her hands as she strode off the stage and towards this strange visitor. "This had better be good," she mumbled, making her way down the center aisle between the seats. Halfway there she stopped short and gaped, raising a hand to her mouth. "My God..."

Love is worth forgiving for!

"Konnichiwa, Ra-chan." The man smiled at her and opened his usually closed eyes, which were glowing with violet warmth. The breeze from outside ruffled his thick purple hair and made the tails of his dark trenchcoat billow.

She said it again. "My God."

Now I realize -
Everything worth living for
Is there, in his eyes!

He eliminated much of the distance between them, standing a mere two inches from her, that smile still tugging at the corners of his lips. He looked odd in her world's apparel, though still devastatingly handsome. But how had he gotten here?? Why was he here?? These questions were forgotten as his hand reached out to caress her cheek. She leaned into the soft touch, feeling tears of both relieve and sorrow welling up in her eyes.

"Xelloss..."

Love is worth forgiving for!

Now I realize
Now I realize
Everything worth living for
Is there, in his eyes!


Fanfiction