Chapter Three: Memories of Smoke and Fire


Notes

navy = flashback


Hot!!
Fire... fire everywhere!
Smoke!
Can't breathe!!
"FATHER!!"
No answer...
"LINA-SAN!!"
No answer...
"GOURRY-SAN!!"
No answer...
"SILPHIEL-SAN!!"
No answer...
"ZELGADIS-SAN!!"
No answer...
No... no....
"NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Amelia-san sat straight up in her bed, breathing hard and sweating. She swallowed and placed a hand to her forehead, finally catching her breath.

"Another dream..." she murmured and sat up, walking to the open window. She leaned out of it a little and closed her eyes, enjoying the feel of the cool night air on her face and arms.

"Some people will search their whole lives to get lost memories back... I'd give anything to forget that night..." Amelia-san choked back some tears, the memory of Seirunne's destruction still fresh in her mind, even after seven years.

Amelia-san smiled as some sakura petals floated by. On a better note, she had managed to get by Lina and the others without them asking too many questions. All she had to do was give them a fake name, and that was that. They'd even allowed her to travel with them for while, since they were going to Seiruune as well. 'The more, the merrier!' Lina had said.

"Too easy..." Amelia-san whispered, reflecting on the moment. "Lina... she's watching me, if only because of my magic. Gourry... he's as clueless as ever, I'm sure. Amelia-chan... she sees me as some sort of hero because I killed the demons. Zelgadiss... he suspects something. THAT I know." Amelia-san gave a half smile. "Always trust Zel to figure it out."

Amelia had long since gotten over her crush for the handsome chimera, now only viewing him with a silent admiration. When was it that she had caught the drift that he didn't have any feeling for her other then friendship, and, in all truths, neither did she?

"...the day... the day Seiruune was burned to the ground." she said, looking down, her ever-present sadness quickly returning, realizing that it had been slacking off.

Amelia-san coughed. She had no real reason to, but the memory of the smoke and flames always returned so clear in her mind. It was as if she was living it all over again. NOT a pleasant thing. She closed her eyes and tried to forget that day... forget the flames... forget the screaming of people slaughtered... forget everything.

But she couldn't. She couldn't forget. Not now, not ever.

Amelia-san sighed and walked back to the bed. Maybe some more restful dreams would follow, she hoped. But no, no restful dreams would come, only the memory of that fateful night when she died inside. The night she had lost everything.

The fires of the city raged around the two.

Lina, dead.

Gourry, dead.

Prince Phillionell, dead.

Sylphiel, dead.

The only ones left were Zelgadis and Amelia.

"cough I....can't breathe Zelgadis-san...." Amelia choked. The smoke didn't bother Zelgadis, being that he was 1/3 demon, but Amelia was full human.

Suddenly, SOLDIERS! surrounding the two.

"HAND OVER THE PRINCESS!!" The presumed leader yelled. Zel put himself between Amelia and the man.

"Not on your life." Zel said in his unusually calm voice. Zel stood calm, cool, collected. But Amelia knew better. He was terrified. Zel had been badly wounded and was near death himself.

"Zelgadis-san..." Amelia whispered. "Just give me to him, then run."

"I won't let you die."

"Do it! I'll be fine."

"You don't think I can tell when your lying? When I give the word, run."

"Zelgadis-sa - "

"Now!" He managed to shove her through the men.

"ZELGADIS-SAN!!!!" Amelia yelled, but the men were on top of him.

"RUN, AMELIA!" she heard him yell. Amelia hesitated, then ran. She ran, despite the pain in her legs. She ran out of Seiruune as it burned down to ashes. The fire raged around her, grabbing at her. Occasionally she tripped over a fallen beam of wood or a dead body, but she would just get back up and run. Finally, no flames were left. She got back a hold of herself and found herself at the top of a hill, looking down on the burning city.

Lina, gone.

Gourry, gone.

Daddy, gone.

Silphiel, gone.

Zelgadis.....

Amelia clutched her head. They. Were. All. GONE!!!

"Iie...iie..." she whispered as the tears came down the side of her cheeks. The tears fell to the ground, mixing with the blood that was coming from her unnoticed wounds.

All of them, dead.

Everyone she ever loved.

Gone.

Forever.

"Iie..." Everyone she ever loved.

"Iie!" Skies turned black and red over Seiruune that day. Black, for the blackness in the heart of one of the last survivors, and red, for the blood that had been spilled.

"IIIIIIIIIEEEEE!!!!!!" Lightning crashed all around her.

They would pay.

Those who had caused her pain.

THEY. WOULD. PAY!!


The soldiers laughed over their victory. They were in the palace courtroom.

WHAM! The doors flew open. The half dead Princess was standing there. Her hair was a mess. She had scars on her face and her cloths were ripped and torn and stained with blood. Her eyes were closed and her teeth were clenched.

"It's the little princess! Come to give us a taste of the mighty fist 'o justice? GWAHAHAHA!!" One of them laughed and the others joined in.

Amelia opened her eyes. The soldiers stopped lauging when they saw her eyes.

They were the unforgiving, dead eyes of a madwoman.

"There's no such thing as justice." she said with a voice that was scarred from the smoke. Even the soldiers could see her aura, it was pulsating with anger and lust for revenge

"SHI'NE!!!!!!!" she screamed as her aura flared around her and her attack launched. What was the attack? She would never quite figure that out, but one thing was for certain. It resembled the Giga Slave. The soldiers screamed in terror, begged her to stop the attack, but she didn't listen. She was dead inside.

Once the soldiers were dead, she turned around, and walked into the burning city.

After all, when everyone you love, everyone you care for is dead,

What's there to live for?


Author's Notes

Oya oya... I REALLY need to get these things out faster... C'MON PEOPLE! If you like the story (yeah right) then pester me! Or I'll NEVER finish it! T_T It's the truth. I never get anything done unless I'm constantly bothered about it. Just ask Shadowfire. ANYWAY, I AM starting to get some feedback. A big THANK YOU to everyone to sent me feedback. Nothing much happend in this chapter, you just get to see what happend to Seiruune and how the slayers were killed T_T. Well, I'm off to try to get depressed... I HAVE to be depressed to write a decent chapter...

Oh, and a bit of advice for the people out there: It is NOT a good thing to have the lord of all mozoku vampires- who happens to be a jerk and also shares a soul with your brother's boyfriend, so you can't kill him- after you. Not a good thing AT ALL.


Chapter 4   |   Fanfiction