Untitled


I watch from my safely hidden spot in a tree as she walks by.

She is so beautiful... beyond compare.

She's gentle and kind, she wouldn't hurt a living thing if possible, but she'll defend her friends. How I wish I was one of those friends.

A slight breeze blows by and rustles her long dark purple hair.

I'm hardly able to stop myself from going down there and telling her my name.

She doesn't know me. She probably never will. I have watched her from before she became a shrine maiden. I have watched her from the shadows as long as I knew she existed.

But I can only watch her from the shadows. For I know she will never love me.

And if I ever heard her turn down my love... I would die. Literally. I've devoted my entire being to her.

She will never love me. I know that. She will never love me because of him.

Gourry Gabriev.

How I loathe him. I'm so jealous of him.

He has her love, and yet... how can he not notice! I would give my life just to be called her friend.

They are almost out of hearing range. I watch her and her friends, Lina Inverse, Gourry Gabriev, Zelgadis Greywers, and Amelia Wil Tesla Seiyruune.

I use all of my skill to silently jump from tree to tree unnoticed.

She's talking to Gourry about how she wants to someday get married to someone who is kind and caring, and live in a nice house and have children.

My sweet priestess, I would give you that house, I would change anything about myself for you, and I would give you as many children as you wanted.

I'd give up forever just to touch her.

My sweet Sylphiel...

I know she will never love me, so I dare not become her friend. For to be that close to her... but still so far... I'd go insane... or die.

So I am content to watch her from the shadows. And yet...

No. Stop wishfully thinking. It's not worth it. Give it up. I tell myself. Just protect her from the shadows. Nothing more.

Sweet Sylphiel. By all the winds, I promise you, by all the oaths there be... I will protect you from harm. I'll be the protector from the shadows that comes with the wind, then disappears just as quickly. I will go to the ends of the earth to get you all that you desire.

My dear Sylphiel...

The moon is nowhere... almost time for the sun.

I'm sitting on the roof of the inn Sylphiel and her friends are staying at.

I'm in the habit of being alone, but when I'm around you, my darling Sylphiel... I never feel alone.

I silently drop down to the balcony of the room she's in. There's a window that I can see into. She's asleep. Her pure, angelic face is smiling.

What are you dreaming of, my darling? I think. Name anything... anything at all. I'll do everything within my power to get it for you.

I touch the glass by her face and I feel a tear slide down my cheek.

She's the closest to heaven that I'll ever be...

Another tear falls as I realize something... it's Gourry you're dreaming of, isn't it? I think. I clench my teeth and make one hand into a fist. Gourry. Gourry Gabriev. Then my anger subdies and I manage a weak smile while a few more tears come.

If that's what you want, my Sylphiel... then I'll do what I can. If it makes you happy, no matter what it is, I get it for you. I promise.

She stirs in her sleep. She'll wake up soon. I jump into the tree by her window and carefully hide myself from view.

She looks like an angel when she's asleep... and when she's awake.

By all the winds and oaths there be, my Sylphiel... by all the winds and oaths.


Fanfiction