Surface 1: Going and Doings of a Day


She stood looking around the city doing light stretches and idly rolling her neck, moaning slightly as she worked out the early morning stiffness in her muscles.

Amelia took a deep breath of the morning air, smiled then left from the palace to begin her morning jog. This time of morning she loved the most, when Sailunne was blanketed by fog with dew sparkling through. It made the city look mystical and enchanting.

She thought of the letter she had received from her friend Aya in Briseral, telling about her recent promotion at the Briseral medical center and how her daughter Joliet was finishing up school before the summer came and smiled.

She could hardly believe it had been almost two years since she was in the small town. Since she had been a patient at the Medical center and how so much had changed for her after that.

"All changes for the better," she thought, jogging along the quiet streets.


Lina watched from the window of her palace apartment as a figure retreated into the morning mists.

"There goes Amelia on her morning jog," the sorceress thought, pulling her robe tighter around her against the slight chill in the air.

The princess had invited her along for her morning runs, but Lina had declined feigning the excuse of not being a morning person.

A low whistle came across the room as a pot of water began to boil on her hot plate. She padded over the lush carpet across the room and prepared a mug of tea, hoping it would awaken her further.

"I'm definitely am not a morning person," she sighed, settling down on the sofa. She sipped her tea and looked over across the sofa cushions her eyes falling on the source of her early morning.

The script had come to her through her old friend Mr. Divine from Briseral. He had asked her about auditioning for a play he was working on saying that she 'would be the darling of the show' in his flamboyant manner.

So for the last few days she had read the script, memorizing the role in preparation for the audition later in the day. The first play she'd been produced unexpected results, but fun nevertheless. That was one of the things that she decided to do more of in the recent. Sure bandit stomping and treasure hunting were fun and she still went out on quests, but she wanted to try having fun at other things, thus the play. She had been in some smaller productions in the city that did well and brought her recognition for something other then her magical skill. That was the most refreshing thing of all.

Lina put her feet up and reached for the script. It was a really good play that intrigued her more then anything she'd done before. Not a lot of action but dramatic with a touch of romance.

"I still can't believe Divine wants me to audition," she whispered to herself as she flipped to a part of the play that had been plaguing her , the music. The play wasn't a musical per say but there were several musical monologues that her character had to sing. Lina knew she wasn't tone deaf, but not the best singer either.

"But I don't want to embarrass myself by missing a lyric, have someone laugh at me then fire balling the theater down around everyone," she laughed quietly.

That was another thing that had made things better for her, being able to laugh at the more extreme parts of her personality.

She ran a hand through her red-gold tresses and felt the light jingle of her necklace as she read the song lyrics. Lina looked down at the necklace, a gift from Gourry given in friendship that she treasured. It had been her private secret that she hadn't taken it off since he'd given it to her. People saw it once in a while put mostly she kept it tucker into her shirt. To her it had become a symbol of how much her relationship with the swordsman had changed. How close they had become as friends. She fiddled with her hair some more and marveled at how long it had become.

"Man I really must be half asleep, to be mulling over things so much," she sighed and focused on her script.


Xellos stared outward, eyes open into a pair of curious eyes and tilted his head to the side. The curious eyes tilted to the opposite side following his lead. They stared for several long moments until Xellos blinked. Then the owner of the curious eyes giggled gleefully into the trickster's face.

Baby Val sat on Xellos's lap, held in his arms all smiles and playfulness.

"What are you laughing at?" Xellos asked. The question made the baby only laugh more.

"You lost," a new voice answered. Filia entered the room with a warm bottle and got Val from Xellos, fighting to quill trembling hands.

"I lost?"

"The staring contest, you blinked first," the dragon explained as she fed Val his morning bottle. "What are you doing here?"

"Can't I drop in and say hello?" Xellos asked innocently.

"You can never just say hello," she countered. Xellos smirked and stared at her and Val with interest.

"So what do you think?"

"I asked you first," she said, setting down Val's bottle and moving the baby over her shoulder. She patted his back gently and after a few moments the little dragon let out a large burp.

"Do you do that a lot?" Xellos asked.

"Yes."

"Why?"

"To get the air bubbles out of his tummy, isn't that right Val," she cooed and the baby giggled, reaching his chubby fingers out to the gold's cheeks.

Xellos stared at the two as they smiled and shared affection. And found he wasn't turning green by it all. Which may have sounded odd to a normal person, but he was a mazuko, such displays should have made him weak in the knees. Being so close to a baby who in essence embodied innocence and purity should have been enough to turn any mazuko back a few paces. Even though he was no ordinary mazuko due to his ranking he should have at least felt something, instead of nothing. The same nothing he'd felt the first time the baby ancient had focused his bundle of play and giggles on the trickster.

"Well aren't you the happy little mother."

"Xellos, I ..." Filia started, but was interrupted by a squirming Val, reaching out to the mazuko. "He wants you to hold him," she finished, Val giggling to emphasize the point.

"Hold him while I get another blanket and his bear," she said handing the trickster the baby.

Xellos took Val wordlessly and sat down amazed at his instant obedience to the dragon's request. The baby smiled and pulled at his amethyst colored locks and reached out for his cheeks.

Filia looked at the pair from the closet filled with Val's things and sighed silently. When she had warmed Val's bottle she knew Xellos was there, not because she sensed him but because of Val's giggle. It was a giggle that only emerged from the little ancient when the trickster showed up. It had been that way over the last year since Filia had moved to Sailunne. At first Xellos popped in and out and she thought it was purely to annoy her. She still felt that way but as Val grew his focus seemed to shift to the charming baby ancient.

It frightened her at first, and she had taking to putting up wards around the house, to no avail. She had watched him a few times when bringing Val his bottle and could see a blend of curiosity and confusion in the deep purple of his eyes, as if he was studying the baby who in turn studied him.

It gave her the feeling that the trickster might not want to hurt Val, just thought the child was an odd little thing. After all, she didn't imagine he spent time around children, mazuko or otherwise.

And his behavior had changed as well. He still taunted her as always but not as frequently. On the same hand she had learned to check her temper for Val's sake. These slight differences gave her hope that he was indeed intrigued and nothing more, but at the same time she kept a watchful eye, just in case.

She finished laying out the second blanket and setting Mr. Tata, Val's brown bear on his pillow and went to collect him from Xellos. The mazuko relinquished the baby, still staring at the squirming, giggling bundle with fascination. Upon leaving the trickster's grasp Val fussed slightly as he entered Filia's embrace fully.

"You can play with your mazuko later," the gold whispered, to which the baby smiled. She had figured out early on that to him the mazuko was the equivalent of his bears and rattles, a toy to play with that played back. For this reason also she treaded lightly with Xellos in the baby's presence and there was no reason to upset Val unnecessarily.

The gold laid the ancient down in his crib and tucked him in. Val clutched his bear tightly and in moments was fast asleep.

"What did you mean by play with me?" Xellos said, approaching the crib.

"You haven't figured it out yet?" She laughed. "Your like a toy for him to play with. Now be a good little toy and put yourself away wherever you came from so I can get some rest before the day starts."

"You should treat your babies toys better then that," he pouted then disappeared, leaving the dragon maiden stifling laughter as she headed to her room for a few hours rest before opening her shop.

That was something else she had noticed. His jokes when least condescending and veiled in secret meaning and more funny in a normal way. They were actually civil despite all their differences in the last year. Although she did take a mace to his head a few times during the few heated disagreements they had, but only when Val wasn't present. She still didn't trust him and if anything the strangeness in his nature bothered her even more.

"Probably just the Namagomi's plan to bug me long term," she thought. "But for Val's sake I guess I can tolerate it," she mumbled into her pillow and quickly fell asleep.


Zelgadis sat outside and looked out over the lake as the mists danced over the surface. He leaned back in his chair and sipped his coffee sighing contently.

"Renting the lake house was definitely a good choice," he decided, enjoying the peace and quiet.

Inside he heard Gourry's faint snoring from the dining room and shook his head slightly in laughter. When he had heard about Lina's suggestion about university he had wondered if the swordsman was really committed to the work and effort it would take. Almost two years later he knew the answer was yes.

His friend had thrown himself into reading and did very well in his school work and exams. Which was the reason he was now in Zel's dining room snoring. The lake offered not only the chimera peace and quiet but the swordsman as well which he was currently taking advantage of to study for his upcoming exams.

As he drank more coffee he heard the steady rhythm of approaching feet and smiled into his mug.

He set down his cup on the small patio table beside him and turned to great his guest. She was dressed in her usual running gear of sweat pants and a T-shirt that showed some of her mid-drift, smiling at him. He got up, walked over and greeted her with a warm hug and a long kiss.

"I like the way you say good morning," she said.

"I'm glad," he smiled back.

Amelia looked into his smiling face as he curled a piece of her hair in his fingers.

"Come on, the lake is really beautiful this early," he said, leading her down to a spot by the water. They sat down on the grass and the princess moved into the chimera's arms as they both stared out onto the water.

"How was your run?"

"Invigorating," she sighed. "I really like being out this early, the city looks so wonderfully peaceful."

Zelgadis nuzzled her head with his chin gently and sighed.

"Has it really been almost two years?" He thought. Everyday he was awestruck at how wonderful he felt with Amelia and how good his life had been going, so much so it seemed unreal.

"Congratulations, by the way," she whispered suddenly.

"Mmmm," he murmured.

"On your appointment?"

"Thanks, I still don't know why your father thought I could help with Sailunne's dealing in Lebon.

"You've been there, know the customs and economics of the city state. Dad thought your knowledge would be a real asset in establishing merchant agreements and treaties.

"But he didn't have to appoint me officially," Zelgadis sighed.

"Dad would never ask you to put forth all the effort this is going to take without paying you like he would anyone else, you know that."

He did know. He didn't mind getting paid either, how much though had been a surprise when the paper work from the royal treasury's office was delivered to him. They needed his signature to confirm his appointment and the amount he'd be paid. When he saw the amount of his salary he almost fainted.

"I just didn't think Phil would make a big deal about this. He's even going to throw a banquet."

"Lina's excited about that part," she giggled. "But don't worry it's a private one just for us and our friends."

"But he's going to post an announcement today too," the chimera pouted.

"You poor baby," the princess laughed, kissing his pouting lips. "I know you don't like so much attention, but dad's been at a real lose with the Lebon government. Who would have imagined their customs and political affairs would be so different an complex."

"I know he's really happy to have some assistance with things. I just didn't realize how time consuming preparing all this would be for the both of us. We haven't been able to spend any time real quality time together in almost two weeks."

"We have our dreams," she smiled.

They had been using the corridor that connected their astral space to visit each other in their sleep. It was pleasant to spend their time talking and laughing about the days they had in whichever setting they thought of.

"It's not the same," he said.

"Sounds like you miss me," she whispered.

"I do," he whispered kissing her. "I miss sitting with you like this holding you talking to you, and I've been wondering if I should except this appointment at all especially since ..."

"Not too many people know about us," she finished. He nodded.

It had been a quiet decision amongst themselves. They had wanted privacy early on to let their relationship nurture and grow without outside influences. Only their close friends knew and Philionel, who despite his boisterous personality understood his daughter's wish for privacy.

"Don't let that discourage you from taking the appointment. I know how much you enjoy intellectual challenges and this is a great opportunity for that."

"That may be but this could bring about more of those rumors that have been going around about us."

"You mean by that magazine that opened up a few months back?" She asked. He nodded.

"Who would have thought the people behind the Briseral Babbler would set up shop here dishing out the same garbage, especially after what Lina did to them before. I'm just worried it might get worse then vague speculating once the appointment gets announced. I know how much the things they printed bothered you before," looking down at her.

"I can handle it, so can you," she said, kissing him lightly, "Besides its too early in the morning to worry about things."

He hugged her closer and kissed her in return.

"The sun should be rising soon," he whispered.

"Today's going to be busy for everyone. Let's enjoy the quiet while we can," she murmured.


Lina sat in the café anxiously looking around when she saw Gourry walk in. She waved her hands excitedly to signal him over.

"Hey over here Gourry!"

The swordsman smiled and waved in return, heading over to the table.

"Where were you this morning?" Lina asked as Gourry sat down at their table. "I knocked on your door and got no answer."

"I stayed at Zel's to get some reading done. His library has a lot of books I need to study," he said.

"That's right your finals start today," Lina smiled. "Do you feel up to it?"

"Yeah, these things are a lot easier then people say they are, but I still can't believe I got this far."

"Of course you got this far," she laughed, playfully punching his arm. "You love this stuff almost as much as you like swords."

"We'd better order, I still have to get to class and you got that audition with Divine today?"

"You remembered?" Lina asked surprised.

"Sure, I forget stuff but this is important to you Lina. I wouldn't forget that."

"Thanks," she blushed.

The waiter came and they decided to keep breakfast light and only ordered one of everything on the menu.

While they waited for the food Lina picked up her pack from beside her chair and pulled out her script. She opened it to a marked page and began to unconsciously mouth the passage marked. The redhead ran her fingers through the length of her hair, making it sway slightly as the script quickly absorbed her concentration.

Gourry watched her curiosity as she read and occasionally smoothed away strains of her hair. He also noticed that others sitting round them were drawn to the red-gold waves of the sorceress's hair.

"Is that the script for Divine's play?"

Lina looked up at Gourry and blinked.

"Yeah it is, sorry I got distracted," she laughed.

"Is it any good?"

"It's kind of dramatic with a little romance and singing."

"You're going to sing, Lina?"

"Going to try," she said as the food arrived.

They ate quickly since it wasn't their usual serving, paid and headed out.

"We're meeting everyone for dinner tonight at the palace," Lina said, as the pair stood outside the café.

"I remember," he smiled. "Good luck at the audition."

"Good luck with your exam," Lina said, and headed off in the opposite direction.

Lina slung her bag over her shoulder and headed to the Sailunne Royal theatre. She tried to stay calm and confident about the audition with everyone, but the truth was she really wanted the part.

On the other end of the street Gourry watched the sorceress's retreating form.

"Good luck Lina."


Zelgadis headed down the palace corridors walking swiftly clad in black pants and a green shirt that out lined his physique.

He caught the attention of several people as he passed through the palace. That was something he'd learned to get use to. Though in the past he had always assumed people stared at him because he was 'freakish'. He now knew that people looked at him out of normal curiosity and in some cases attraction. He'd even been on the receiving end of flirtatious advances, which he politely evaded.

Since his time in Briseral and he started seeing Amelia there were two things he'd stopped considering himself, a freak and single. He realized early on the extent of his feelings, the princess and though he found the change in his perception of self and the idea that woman found him attractive flattering, his commitment to Amelia stayed firm and strong.

He stopped at the large doors that led to the palace library and took a deep breath, shook out tense muscles and entered the room. By the large windows on the far end of the library that he found Prince Philionel staring out into the palace gardens.

"Isn't it beautiful," the crown prince boomed out, startling the chimera. "The flowers and the trees all bursting into summer bloom."

"Yes it is," Zelgadis said, joining him.

"This is the time when people are happiest and hopeful, on days like today. So Zelgadis, are you ready to begin your first full day as my consultant on Lebon?"

"I wanted to talk to you about that actually?"

"You're not refusing are you?" The crown prince cried. "You can't! Your knowledge of the country is exactly what Sailunne needs to ..."

"I'm not refusing," Zelgadis said. "But do you have to make a big production out of it with all the announcements and the official appointment, not to mention the banquet. And I know its only for Lina and others still the fact that it's a closed affair gives it even more notoriety."

"Of course I do," Phil laughed. "This is a wonderful occasion that could not only help Sailunne but the surrounding kingdoms as well. With the negotiations we could establish treaties that could improve everyone's quality of life. An its such a solitary country that very little is known about its inner workings which makes your wealth of knowledge invaluable. Surely you can understand why I'm so excited."

"Since you put it that way," the chimera smiled.

"All right then we should get started," the crown prince said. "Where do you want to begin?"

"The political structure would be the best place. The one thing you'll discover as we go is that Lebon is a country built on details, every little thing has significance and so patience will truly be a virtue you should keep in mind."

Zelgadis and Philionel sat down in a pair of armchairs facing each other and the chimera began the crown prince's extensive education.


Amelia dressed for the day in a pair of light colored pants and an off the shoulder blouse of a pale metallic blue. She sat in her study pouring through the latest reports regarding the cities various affairs. She had taken on a number of her father's responsibilities as he prepared for the conference with Lebon some months away. Learning about the country's extensive political and economic dealings was a time consuming task, much greeter then drafting the written correspondence and requests for the meeting itself had been. The reason for Zelgadis's appointment.

She was happy that he'd been given the position and hoped he would enjoy the challenge. A study similar to her own was being prepared for him so he could work with her father privately, instead of the palace library that had a steady flow of nobleman and scholars streaming in and out.

Amelia thought about their conversation at sunrise and understood Zelgadis's concern about opening more windows of opportunity for the tabloid in town.

The Sailunne Expose' opened its doors about six months prior and run by the same people who had been behind the Babbler. And as before no one was safe. Clerics, noblemen and even shop owners were all featured in its outrageous stories. At first no one paid attention until they resurrected the old articles about Amelia and Zelgadis. In the beginning it had been simply recaps of the Babbler articles to establish the idea that there was a lot more interesting things going on behind closed doors. It became a regular barrage of speculation on the princess's and the chimera's every action, whether together or apart. They generally stayed clear of Lina for obvious reasons and Gourry didn't appear interesting enough for scandal. The only reason why they weren't blown up by Lina again was because of the free speech laws the city held and the fact that Philionel and Amelia asked her not to, though at times even the princess became tempted.

Amelia didn't want the world to know about her relationship with Zelgadis through the mouths of the outlandish and neither did the chimera. It touched her deeply that Zelgadis had considered her when the question of taking the appointment arose. During her contemplation she stared at the clock on the mantel and noticed the time.

"I'd better stop for now if I want to make lunch with Filia and Lina," she thought, curious to know how the sorceress's audition went and see little Val. She took a few minutes to mark her place in the reports and organize a few papers.

She closed up the study and headed out. While making her way down the hall she saw Zelgadis walk up , head bent down, muttering to himself. She ran up to him and startled him when she grabbed his hand.

"Amelia!" He said as she pulled him into the nearest archway that wasn't readily visible. "What are you doing?" She answered him with a hug and a quick kiss on the nose.

"How's it going so far?" She asked.

"Okay I guess. I don't think Phil realized how complex Lebon society is."

"Do you think he'll be ready in time for the conference?"

"I think so. It's just a question of giving everything time to sink in, not pushing things."

"That's good," she smiled. "I'm on my way to meet Lina and Filia for lunch, have you eaten yet?"

"No, Phil and I are going to break later for lunch." She nodded as Zelgadis looked beyond the archway up and down the hallway. Once seeing that no one was about he took the princess into his arms and kissed her.

"I hope things settle down soon," he whispered, holding her closer. "I like seeing you in the afternoons."

"And I like being seen," she murmured into his chest. "Things are crazy now but once we get settled into this change in our routines I think we'll be fine."

"I hope so," he said as she leaned in and returned his kiss, then reluctantly releasing her hold on the chimera.

"I have to meet the others for lunch. I'll see you tonight at dinner, all right?"

At the mention of dinner he groaned and she giggled.

"All right," he said finally, smiling.

The princess gave him a gentle kiss on the curve of his neck then dashed off to lunch leaving the chimera staring after her.


"All right everyone, that's all for today. Make sure our personal assistant Corrine has your contact information correct before you leave. We'll be posting the call backs in a few minutes. Remember postings will be at the door for the final audition. Thanks again for coming sweeties."

Mr. Divine set down his megaphone and wiped his forehead with a handkerchief. He left the stage and went to sit down with the play's producers who talked amongst themselves about who to callback for the final audition.

All around Lina were men and women who'd come to try for a chance in the play. Lina sat down on the stage and opened her bag to put away and other things that she'd brought for the audition. As she did so she noticed a few stares from the other girls and a few men.

It was something that she noticed lately, people staring at her and not the way they use to. Before it was because she was 'Lina Inverse', enemy of all who live and the stares were born of fear and in a few cases mockery. The difference in the looks had been gradual and she didn't understand it at first until a few months ago when she'd been beating up a bandit gang that seemed anxious, even excited by her presence.

"Who wouldn't want to be taken down by the beautiful Lina Inverse," the bandit leader had said. Afterward she began to hear even more declarations of admiration about her looks and the full extent that the change in people's attitude had become toward her. And it made her realize that people were treating her differently because now they thought she was beautiful.

She then turned and saw her reflection in a mirror next to some props backstage.

"Have I really changed that much?" She thought. On the outside she had grown a few inches taller and her hair was now straight, something new she's tried a few weeks earlier that she liked. Other then those things she couldn't see much else. Inside she was still the same, loved to eat triple potions at every meal, beat up bandits and find treasure. Sure she was trying new things but the important things that made her who she was hadn't changed and it made her come to one conclusion. They were all hypocrites, something she truly hated. The same old treatment but with a new face.

Lina shook herself out of brooding, stood up slung her bag over her shoulder and headed for the door as Divine posted the callback sheet.

"Lina honey, I'm so glad you could make it," Divine smiled and gave her a quick hug.

"Thanks for inviting me to audition," she said looking at the call sheet. Her face visibly brightened when she saw her name among those posted.

"Congratulations hon, the producers really liked what they saw," Divine smiled. Lina nodded dazed. "Well I'd love to watch you frozen in shock but I have to go console the wounded pride of the others then eat lunch."

"Lunch," Lina said, snapping to attention.

"Yes dear, that meal after breakfast and before dinner."

"I know that! I just remembered that I have to meet Filia and Amelia for lunch," the redhead said suddenly and ran out.

"Say hi to Ami-chan for me!" Divine called after her.

The sorceress found a clear spot, cast Ray Wing and soared through the skies of Sailunne to Filia's shop. When she landed in front of the door she could see Filia inside arranging vases and on a counter she used to great customers she saw tiny hands wiggling chaotically out of a basket.

Lina smiled and opened the door, a bell attached ringing signaling her entrance. The gold looked up from her work, saw the sorceress and smiled.

"Lina, how did it go today?"

"I got a call back for the final audition," she shrugged, heading toward the counter.

"That's wonderful!" Filia cried joining her. "How many people auditioned?"

"Lots," Lina answered, peering in on little Val. "But I think I did well and the plays pretty interesting so that helps," she finished , letting Val grip her finger as he looked up at her from his basket. "Where's Amelia?"

"I think she's on her way know," Filia answered, turning the open sign in her window to closed.

Lina continued to let Val play with her finger and was amazed at how happy a baby he was.

"I still can't believe this little guy was Valgarv," she thought, but figured he deserved happiness in rebirth that he didn't have in his old life.

"So how's business?" The redhead asked the Gold walking toward her.

"Eventful, they've been lots of bazaars and festivals in the area. I've been able to move a lot of pieces not to mention the special orders I get for out of the way things. Jiras is away working one of those for me now."

"Hey if you need any help hunting down stuff - "

"I'll give you a call," the dragon laughed as Val began to coo excitedly. The happy noises he made reminded her of when Xellos had come earlier and a slight frown crossed her features. "I wonder if I'll see him again or - cut that out," she said to herself, vehemently shaking her head. "You promised yourself you'd be civil for Val but that doesn't mean looking forward to him coming over."

At the sound of gentle rapping on the window, Filia looked up and saw Amelia waving excitedly to them from outside.

"Are you guys ready for lunch?" The princess asked coming in as Filia opened the door.

"You better believe it," Lina smiled.

Filia went over to Val and bundled up the exuberant little baby along with his baby things.

"Now we're all set," the gold smiled. They locked up and left the shop, heading down the crowded streets.

Amelia looked at her friends and smiled, grateful to have some quality time with them.


The hallways were alive with people in small groups going to and fro discussing various subjects. Some of the groups were seated, flipping through books and examining notes. All were focused on the impending event of the day, exams.

University had been more then what Gourry had expected, but he enjoyed the books he read for classes and found it overall as fun as sword training. He sat in a large window archway reading a random book on talismans and looking through class notes. He'd already taken his morning exams and was taking a break before the afternoon ones began.

Other students walked by and said hello while others eyed him with envy. When he'd started classes many thought he wouldn't do well to say it kindly, but Gourry had surprised everyone with his enjoyment of the subject. The quickness and ease he read through books and understanding the topics and theories became a point of admiration for many of his classmates and professors alike. Even though he still had trouble remembering certain things he somehow managed to remember what he heard in lectures and read for class. Gourry was a good student and well liked by his professors who found it refreshing to have a student who showed so much enthusiasm, especially since he wasn't a magic practitioner.

"Gourry how are you today?" Someone asked.

The swordsman looked up and saw one of his professors smiling at him. Mr. Ozaki was short with white hair and beard that he kept neatly trimmed. He was also one of Gourry's favorite professors.

"Hey Professor Oz, I'm doing great."

"That's good to hear, exams treating you well," the professor asked as the two started walking down the hall together.

"Yeah, I've taken two this morning and I've got two more in the afternoon. The first ones were a little longer then I thought but its all the same thing, I read in the books and then I get asked questions and I answer. Except with exams they ask a lot more questions," he said scratching his head.

"Are you having trouble with the questions?" Gourry thought about it for a minute then laughed.

"Nah, its just more then I thought it would be and the questions are pretty creative now too so that makes it more fun then the last exams."

"Most students wouldn't consider exams fun."

"I do. I think if you think about them in a good way they don't seem so bad."

"I wish more students had that philosophy. Well Gourry I'm not going to keep you, I know you want to take a break before your next exam."

"Thanks Professor Oz, I'll see you later."

"Stop by my office whenever you finish I have something you may find interesting."

"Great, thanks," Gourry said heading outside. He stopped by a small restaurant by the school, ordered lunch and ate while returning to his book. After a few minutes of reading and eating his thoughts turned to Lina.

He really hoped her audition went well.

"She seemed really into the script at breakfast," he thought. He also noticed the attention people were paying her as she read. He knew he wasn't very observant when it came to certain things but lately he'd noticed the attention Lina received from people was different from when he'd first met her. People stared at her more especially her hair and the way it moved when she tilted her head or ran her fingers through it. Sometimes he even found himself staring at the red-gold length of her hair when they were talking or eating.

Their friendship seemed to gain a new closeness as of late and it even made him smile to see she still wore the gift he'd given her in Briseral. And it made him feel special that she still thought enough of it to wear it. He smiled and continued to eat and read, hoping that Lina was doing as well as he was.


They ate and talked with bouts of laughter at the baby ancients antics, surrounding themselves in a web of play that only came from the closeness of friendship.

Amelia was pleased to that Val was as healthy and buoyant as always. The baby dragon lit up the room with his unadulterated happiness. She was also glad to her about Lina's call back and truly hoped her friend got the role she sought. Thinking of her friends day brought about thoughts of Gourry and how his days was going and made her wonder how their friendship was progressing.

The princess was pulled from her thinking when Val reached out to her plate, spiriting away the last of her baby carrots.

Lina laughed as Val munched on what was once Amelia's carrot with his chubby little cheeks. And laughed harder as Filia tried to chide him for such behavior while desperately fighting her own brewing laughter.

"Filia just give up and have a good laugh," the sorceress said. The dragon maiden could hold back no longer and burst into a loud laugh that consequently encouraged Val to do the same.

Amelia caught her breath and had a sip of water as the others followed suit, settling down once again.

"I think it's a unique talent only he possesses," Filia said suddenly.

"Unique talent?" Lina asked

"In little Val, everyone becomes so happy and playful with him," she said, her thoughts again returning to Xellos and the special brand of glee his presence brought her baby ancient.

"It's a great talent to have," Amelia said. "Children are special that way, being so open t others. The fact that he inspires the same openness is really special."

"You make it sound like its some divine, mystical thing," Lina said between bits of food.

"You don't think it is?" Filia asked

"He's a kid they like to play and have fun. Sure they're open and excepting but at his age life's a big party. He doesn't have worries or other things that us big people do. Besides its his life with you that makes him how he is."

"What do you mean?"

"You play with him and talk to him and show him affection and that he's always loved. He feels that and is just returning it to those around him. You make him happy and that makes him want you happy and everyone else. You know, share the wealth."

"Simply put you're a good mother," Amelia said.

At this Filia flushed brightly and looked at her little ancient.

"You think I've been a good mother to him?" she whispered.

"Sure, everybody thinks that," Lina said. "Didn't you know that already?"

"I just wanted to give him all the affection he didn't have before but I wasn't sure I was doing everything right ..."

"Well you are," Amelia smiled. "My dad once told me that he didn't have any rule book on parenting so he might screw up once in a while. No one expects you to be a perfect mother."

"Besides who would want a perfect mother anyway, flaws are cool," Lina said.

"Thank you," Filia said to both of them and began wiping bits of carrot from Val's face.

The rest of lunch went by without anymore overtly funny antics from Val. When it was over the three said good bye and headed off for their other engagements.

"Remember dad's dinner tonight for Zelgadis," Amelia said before leaving.

"Like I'd forget a chance at banquet style food," the redhead smiled.

"We'll see you tonight," Filia said, and started back to her shop with Val smiling.

"They said I was a good mother," she whispered to the little ancient as she unlocked her shop door and went inside. Once through the door Val looked about anxiously then let out a loud giggle that stopped Filia in the middle of turning her store sign to 'open'.

"Xellos, where are you?" She called.

"You sound like you're not happy to see me, I'm hurt," he whispered close to her ear, startling her.

"Don't do that," she hissed as Val tugged on the trickster's cape, smiling. "Val let go." She removed his little fingers from the mazuko clothes and headed for her shop counter.

Xellos floated after her and noted Val reaching behind Filia for him.

"And how was your lunch with Lina and Amelia?"

"Fine, why?"

"Just asking?" He shrugged

She arched an eyebrow but said nothing, placing Val in his little basket that hung a few inches above the counter from the ceiling and set about reopening her shop.

Val reached out from his basket again for Xellos and this time caught hold of the mazuko's hand in his tight little grip. Xellos watched with interest as the baby moved his hand about and toyed with his fingers.

The child's fascination with him at first he found, unsettling. The baby ancient always tried to draw him into some game or other form of play with wide laughing eyes. And he always found himself in the midst of the little dragon's play.

Filia pulled the last of what she needed to reopen and returned to the counter where Val still held tightly to Xellos.

"So are you coming to dinner tonight?" She asked the trickster priest.

"Filia, a date? It's all so sudden. I didn't know you cared," he answered. Filia started to grind her teeth slowly, watching the mazoku bat his eyes in mock excitement.

"So where are you taking me," he continued. "Should I dress formal or not and if formal are you bring a corsage and ..."

"I'm not taking you on a date , you idiot," she growled, careful not to yell in front of Val. "What I meant was are you coming to the dinner at the palace with the others for Zelgadis ?" she finished in a controlled tone.

"Of course, I haven't seen everyone in a bit but are you sure you don't want to take me out? What do you think? He asked Val who now tugged on his sleeve. Val looked between his mother and the trickster and began to wiggle his legs excitedly. Xellos picked him up and Val laughed and tugged on his hair for the second time that day.

"See even he thinks you should take me out?"

Filia looked at Xellos with Val in his arms and did a slow burn inside. "Well two can play this game," she thought.

"Xellos," she smiled. "There's no reason to play all these games," she started, grabbing Val from him to calm the baby down while the trickster watched.

"I know how attracted you are to me. You can be direct, I understand."

"Attracted to you?" He said slowly, his eye twitching.

"Naturally, it explains everything. How good you get along with Val and the visits at odd hours. I think your little crush is kind of cute."

"I don't have a crush on you," he said, his eye twitching even more.

"If you're not ready to confess your feelings I understand," she said placing Val back in his basket and taking the tricksters hands into her own, her voice so sweet he thought his teeth would start to ache. "After all, we know how shy you are with all your 'secrets' and leaving without telling anyone. You don't have to be bashful Xellos, just say what you feel."

"I ... you,"

"Yes go on," she encouraged all too sweetly.

He was at a loss for words which didn't happen to him often. Finally he huffed in momentary defeat.

"I'll see you at dinner," he rumbled, silently vowing to get even then disappeared as Filia laughed uncontrollably.


Surface 2, layer 2.1   |   Fanfiction