Surface 5: Aftershocks


A low, easy whistle came from the hearth of the fireplace and Filia went to get the kettle off the flame. She poured the steaming water into waiting mugs filled with tea leaves creating a sweet aroma. Then stirred in some sugar and handed the warm brew to her redheaded guest.

Lina took the cup and sipped tentatively, careful not to scald her tongue on its contents.

"How does it taste?" The Gold asked.

"God, thanks," the sorceress said. She curled up a bit on the couch and made Val more comfortable as well. The little ancient had decided to lay his head on her lap with a small blanket tucked around him. The child's closeness an intuitive sympathy was comforting to Lina as she came back to herself.

"Where are the others?" Filia continued.

"At the palace, except Bubbles and Daisy. They were sent back to Briseral, but I think they'll be back soon."

"And Zelgadis?"

"He's alright, still part chimera though but he's handling it well. It looks like he changed but not completely"

"What about - "

"Why don't you just ask the quest you really want to?" Lina interrupted, and took a sip of tea.

"Lina?"

"I know you're trying to make me feel better since I wasn't acting normal, but I think I'm ready to talk."

"Alright then," Filia nodded. "What did you mean about Gourry?"

"He's been under some lose of intention spell since the day we met. Kaifuku washed away the spell. He was sent to me by his grandfather. I helped the guy out with a mazuko problem a few years back."

"A loss of intention spell and he was under it for that long?"

"Zel and Amelia explained a little about it and some side effects."

"I'm familiar with it slightly, not the mechanics of the spell but the side effects."

"In a nutshell the person I thought was my friend never existed," the redhead said and set down her tea.

"How did this happen? Why didn't you mention knowing Gourry's grandfather before?"

"I didn't know the two were related. Gabriev is a common name in the region where Mipross Island is. And the how I don't know. When I found out he'd been like that since we met I zoned out for a few seconds, left and ended up here."

"And how do you feel about things know?" Filia asked.

"Angry," Lina answered through clenched teeth, "Very angry."


"You said you were sent by your grandfather to protect Lina from some threat he saw?" the Crown Prince asked.

"Yes. Lina helped save my grandfather's love from Joyrock by going back in time to the first moment he attacked." Gourry asked.

"But why place you under such a spell?"

"The nature of the threat, my grandfather said it was ... bad So much so that it would know if someone knew of its presence."

"We've been in situations with Lina that were life, even world threatening. Why didn't wake up before?"

"Because whatever it is it's worse then any of the other things you've faced," Xellos smiled.

Zelgadis looked at the trickster and fought back a retort. As much as he hated to admit it, the mazuko had a point.

"I can't imagine anything that's worse the Darkstar," Zelgadis said.

"Obviously there is because Gourry didn't wake up for that," the Crown prince said.

"And it means you didn't find out about Kaifuku by accident," Zelgadis added. "You needed to go there to free yourself from the spell, right?"

"No that's not it. I didn't use you as an excuse," Gourry cried. The spell was supposed to be lifted when the threat finally revealed itself. At least that what I was led to believe."

"Yu let someone do this to you and you're not even sure about how it comes undone?" the chimera asked.

"It some things are consistent about you Gourry, spell or no spell," Xellos laughed.

"It was necessary. I had to!" Gourry said.

"To help your grandfather repay his debt to Lina?"

"It's not his debt it's mine too."

"I don't understand, how is it your debt?" The Crown Prince asked.

"In the process of stopping Joyrock Lina saved Mellyroon, the woman my grandfather loved and eventually became my grandmother."

"I guess I can understand why you felt the risks were worth it," Philionel said.

"Even if he risks losing a good friend?" Zelgadis asked.

"Lina may be shocked but I don't think - ," the Crown Prince started.

"She's angry, it just hasn't come out yet," Zelgadis interrupted.


Amelia made it through the city as quickly as she could. She didn't know where Lina could have gone but figured Filia could help her cover more ground searching.

Especially since the only other people are unavailable," she thought. She knew Gourry was the last person Lina wanted to see. The news was too new and obviously Lina hadn't taken it well. She considered asking the guards to help search for Lina but decided that would give people the wrong idea and make the situation worse.

The princess got to Filia's shop and entered. She closed the door behind her and locked it, then headed up the stairs t the Gold's living quarters.

"Filia?" she called.

"In the living room," came a voice.

Amelia made it up the stairs and into the living room where she saw Lina curled up on the couch with Val snuggled on her leg with the Gold sitting across from her.

"Lina, thank goodness. How do you feel?" the princess asked.

"Fine," the redhead smiled, "You guys are treating me like I'm an invalid or something."

Amelia looked at Filia and the Gold smiled. "I've been kind of babying her since she got here. Lina told me about what happened."

"Sorry about Zoning out on you," Lina said.

"It's all right. We can talk later after we get back to the palace," the princess said.

"I don't want t go back," Lina blurted out. "I may feel up for talking but I don't want to see him. You could have some property damage on your hands."

"You can stay here then, right Val? The Gold asked. The little ancient smiled brightly and the hugged the sorceress's leg a little more.

"This guy's just too cool for me," Lina smiled.

"Zelgadis is still at the library with Gourry finding out exactly how this all happened. He offered to help look but I figured he was the last person you'd want to see," the princess said.

"Well you figured right. The worst part is aside from this mess I still haven't found out what Xellos knows about what attacked us." At the tricksters name Filia frowned and Val giggled. "I was going t come and have a little chat with him, as soon as I found my mace."

"Filia you have tons of maces," Lina said.

"This one's special. It has little spikes on the large spikes of the mace head," she smiled with a wicked gleam.

The sorceress and the princess stared at her uncertain of what to make of the Gold's fondness for her maces.

"I'm sure you'll have the chance soon," Amelia said. "Zelgadis is finding out information about Gourry's situation so maybe he's found out something from Xellos."

"You think that Namagomi's still around?" Filia said, then shook her head, "Of course he would to gouge the knife in a little more," she mumbled.

"He said our interests parallel," Lina stated, "Whatever attacked us he wants more info about it just like us. And right now I do want to focus on that more then ... the situation with Gabriev."

Amelia and Filia both noticed the cold detached way she uttered the swordsman last name. Amelia made a mental note to talk with Filia privately and try to fully understand where Lina's thinking was. She knew her friend was upset and angry but her mention of property damage made the princess concerned about the dark turn the redhead's emotions could be taking.

"We can figure out things with Xellos in the morning," Amelia said, "Right now breathing room is something we could all use."

"And maybe some sleep," Filia smiled, watching as Val as his eyelids grew heavy.

"I think I should let Zel know that everything's all right," the princess whispered.

It's too late to go back to the palace. Maybe a night patrolman can take a message back for you?"

"You really don't have to stay Amelia. I'm fine really," Lina said.

"I know but I love slumber parties," the princess smiled. She went over to a table that had paper and ink and scribbled a note to Zelgadis then headed outside. It took a few minutes to find a member of the nightwatch to take her message back to the palace.

"I just hope Zelgadis is doing well dealing with Gourry."


"Lina may act carefree at times but this ..." Zelgadis sighed.

"I think it would be best if you kept your distance with Lina," the Crown Prince said. "Give her time."

"We may not have a lot of it," the swordsman said. "What attacked us at the falls could be what I was supposed to protect Lina from."

"Is that all you can think about? Your mission?" The Crown Prince cried. "What about Lina? I don't think really understand exactly what you've done."

"Of course I have. There's a huge part of me that she doesn't understand. But Lina's my friend even if she may no longer consider me hers. We didn't think about the effects this would have on her. We don't even know them yet, but something's coming and its not going to wait for us to sort this thing out and if we aren't ready we may never have a chance to."

"Things are going to be tense for a while," Zelgadis said.

"I know, but there's nothing I can do about that except give her time like Philionel said."

"We only have the experiences you've had at the falls with the creatures and Xellos's knowledge to work with," Zelgadis said.

"Is it possible that another attack could happen here?" Philionel asked.

"I don't know, but they were at the falls for a reason."

"To keep you away from them," the trickster said. The three men looked at him as he twirled his staff. "If you remember they were firing at us, they didn't pay any attention to Kaifuku," He continued to Gourry.

"When I arrived you all seemed pretty boxed in. They attacked from a whirlwind in the sky that the creatures flew out of," He explained to Zelgadis.

"Like a chip unloading soldiers in battle," the Crown Prince murmured.

"And it sounds like they were using the astral plane to make there appearances," Zelgadis said.

"No they weren't," Xellos said. As I mentioned to Lina before she left they appear when they feel like and leave the same way on this plane. Wherever they are it isn't the astral plane. It's been checked more then once."

"Basically we have an enemy that we don't know who or what they are or where they come from," the Crown Prince reasoned.

"And no way of stopping their attacks unless you call teleporting a plan," Zelgadis snorted. A guard entered the library just then and approached the chimera.

"Sir," he nodded and handed him a small folded slip of paper.

Zelgadis opened it and read, then turned to the others. "Amelia's found Lina. They're at Filia's."

"Are they coming back here?' Gourry asked.

"No, I don't think so. Which is probably for the best right now."

Zelgadis took a sheet of paper from the Crown Prince's desk and wrote a brief reply then handed it to the waiting guard.

"Please take this to the princess, Zachary?"

"Sure thing sir," he smiled then left.

"On a first name basis with the guards are we?" Xellos smirked.

"He's helped me with researching and errands a few times," Zelgadis explained

"In the meantime I think we should make a night of it since it's so late and there's nothing else we can do til everyone's here," Philionel reasoned. "I can have you shown to a room Xellos."

"That's so nice of you," the trickster beamed.

"I guess your right Phil. Maybe with everyone here we can come up with something we've missed," Zelgadis said.

"What about Lina-chan?" Xellos asked looking at Gourry.

"We'll just have to wait and see."


Zachary delivered the message to Amelia while Filia made sleeping room for her extra guests and Lina busied herself in the kitchen with Val fixing snacks.

Amelia thanked Zachary and went back to the living room where Filia had finished rolling out sleeping bags and pillows by the fire.

"Where's Lina?" the princess asked.

"In the kitchen with Val?"

"So how do you think Lina's handling this?" Amelia whispered.

"In shock still, not as bad as before. She's trying to distance herself from him too."

"I noticed," Amelia said recalling the redheads use of Gourry's last name.

"I d think its good she realizes how angry this is all making her and what her anger could do if unchecked. Other then that I can't say. What's the word from the palace?"

"I'm meeting Zelgadis tonight to talk."

"The corridor?" Filia asked. Amelia nodded recalling the one word message that Zachary had delivered.

"I guess its too much to write down. I'll be able t tell you something in the morning."

"All right guys I've got munchies and crunchies," Lina said entering the room with a tray full of fruits and cookies done up in dessert sandwiches with sweet toppings. "Okay dive in."

"I can't believe you found all this in my kitchen," Laughed as they settled on the respective bedrolls and started eating.

"Sure, you just have to be creative," Lina smiled eating. "Some f this stuff the little guy thought up, right Val?"

At his name the little ancient smiled and munched on a dessert, his wings fluttering delicately.

"Is it too late for him to be up?" Amelia asked.

"Not really. I'll just let him sleep late tomorrow and maybe a longer nap. He never gets cranky, that always amazes me," the Gold smiled.

"Well its not like we're having an all night party. We eat some goodies and then we get some sleep," the redhead smiled. "Besides its nice to be able to do something to take your mind off ... things," she whispered.

"If you not ready t go back to the palace tomorrow-" Filia started.

"I'm not going to let my ... personal problems interfere with things. I'm not going to be bratty, even though I wish I had the luxury. What happened at Kaifuku is just the edge of something bigger and we need to be ready for it."

"We're here for you if you need it you know that," Amelia said.

"Yeah I know. Now lets finish off this food and get some sleep."


The scene she walked into was that of nighttime; a full moon overhead with pale roses moonbeams shining down n a endless garden of roses the same color. As she looked around the roses parted creating a path for her to follow. She walked it slowly until a gazebo with a chaise lounge in the center came into view. There Zelgadis reclined, head back eyes closed humming lightly.

"Have you been waiting long?"

"Not really," he smiled looking at the princess for the first time. "Don't you want to slip into something more comfortable?" he asked taking in her appearance. Amelia looked and realized she dreamed herself in the same traveling clothes she'd been wearing at the falls. She smiled and with mere thought vines from the rose bushes snaked over to her covering her. When they pulled away she was dressed in a light gown of a pale luminous color that came to her knees and brightened the color of her eyes.

"Better?" she asked.

"Much," he smiled as she settled down beside him on the lounge.

"I would have been here sooner but Lina had a dessert craving and a little dragon conspirator to help her in the kitchen."

"How is Lina?"

"Angry with mentions of property damage."

"Which is why you didn't come back to the palace?" He asked and she nodded.

"I thought it was best considering. She wants to try and keep this from interfering with our current situation. We really won't know until we come back tomorrow. Did you find out anymore from Gourry or Xellos for that matter?"

"Gourry's grandmother was the woman Lina saved from Joyrock so he feels his grandfather's debt is his too. He wasn't sure how the spell would be lifted. Apparently he thought it would dissipate when the threat he was to protect Lina from surfaced."

"So going to the falls was an accident not just part of the spell?"

"That's what he says. He doesn't want me to think that he was using me t get what he wanted.

"But you do feel used?" she said, more as a statement then a question.

"A little," he conceded. "I don't know this Gourry. Before I would have believed but now ..."

"We don't know what part of the Gourry we knew was really Gourry or the spell," Amelia said.

"I understand why Lina reacted the way she did. However, Gourry didn't realize the full extent of it all."

"He wanted to go find her? How could he not have seen something like this coming?"

"Because they didn't think about hat the effects f lifting the spell would have. I don't know how his grandfather could have done this without keeping that in mind."

"Maybe they didn't realize how far ahead in the future this threat would appear. Thee motives are understandable but they could have found another way," Amelia sighed.

"And Xellos isn't helping any?" the chimera sighed. "These creatures have been popping in from somewhere and going back for some time."

"The astral plane maybe?"

"I thought that too but no. Xellos says they've searched the astral plane and come up with nothing."

"Another world like Darkstar?"

"Possibly and if the gateway is moveable they'll be a lot harder to find," Zelgadis said and held the princess close.

"Is this really the threat that Gourry's grandfather?"

"I wouldn't rule it out. These sort of things work in strange ways. I'm concerned about Lina seeing Gourry tomorrow."

"Lina's grown a lot since we first met her. She's angry but she realizes what kind of damage she could do if she loses it. And I' think she'll want to avoid dealing with him for a while."

"And us the problem with Kaifuku as a diversion," Zelgadis finished.

"I know Lina's hurting and I hate not being able to do anything."

"We can only do what we can when the time comes. The rest is up to them."

They spent the rest of the time in the garden in silence, with caresses and kisses of comfort.

"Maybe tomorrow we'll have the chance to figure out how much your body has changed," Amelia whispered, breaking the silence.

"In all the things that have happened I almost forgot," he smiled. "But my hearing and sight seem to be as sharp as when I was a full chimera. My speed and strength are what I'm concerned about."

"If those things have changed you'll adapt over time even regain then through training," Amelia said.

"Time is something we don't have. If we have another confrontation it's not going t be the time for me to field test my body. I need to know what I'm still able to do and I fast I can do it. I didn't even think the corridor would still work."

"The corridor is in the astral plane and we don't if Kaifuku's power extends that far."

Zelgadis leaned over and kissed her then, running his fingers through her dark hair. The pale rose of the moonlight making his skin twinkle.

"I think we've done enough talking about all this. Nothing can happen until the morning," he murmured. Amelia smiled as his lips played with her bottom lip a little; grateful for their moment of tenderness. There was a lot to worry about she knew but for now she wanted to enjoy her shared dream of her loved ones kisses.


A snarky smirk.. A big snarky smirk. That was the only think you could call it. Three pairs of eyes stared watching that smirk widen, and stifle a giggle will keeping a death-grip like hug on a pillow.

"Should we wake her up?" Filia asked. Val tilted his head and shrugged as Lina laughed quietly.

"Give her a minute more then we can embarrass her?"

"What's she dreaming about that could be so, so - "

"She's probably using that dream corridor with Zel, who knows what they do in there," Lina said and the Gold blushed.

Amelia opened her eyes and jumped back a bit on her bedroll at the sight of three faces looking down at her. Val and Lina laughed and Filia blushed a brighter red.

"Did you have pleasant dreams?" the redhead asked.

"Very. But not before Talked with Zelgadis about a few things," Amelia answered.

"What did he say?" Filia asked.

"Xellos is still around and annoying him other then that not too much has changed. If we hurry we can make it to the palace for breakfast and talk t the others."

"I can loan you guys some fresh things for the day," Filia offered.

They each took turns washing up and getting ready. Lina went last insisting on washing her hair wanting to be thoroughly clean. She braided it back into a thick long ponytail. They decided levitating to the palace would be quicker and the three with little Val in tow headed over to met with the others.

A calm kind of nervousness twisted in Lina's stomach as they came closer to the palace. Her plan was simple, deal with the creatures disregard Gabriev. The time for him would come later.

They landed on one of the palaces many balconies and headed for the small dining hall they normally used when everyone got together. Amelia opened the doors and found the others waiting with breakfast already set. Lina took a deep breath as she followed but couldn't bring herself to exhale as she saw Gourry.

His hair was loose around his shoulders, his ears peaking out through the corn-silk cascades. His eyes watched her intently, expectantly and suddenly all her feelings of the last few weeks and all her anger of the last day mixed together in a jumbled ball. And it occurred to her what she planned was going to be easier said then done.


Surface 6   |   Fanfiction