No You Don't


Notes

The song is stolen from Nine Inch Nails again. Bless ya Trent me boy you provide me with such loverly inspiration!


Smiling in their faces
While filling up the hole
So many dirty little places
In your filthy little worn out
Broken down see through soul

His footfalls echoed like dropping boulders as he crossed the room, unhooking his cape to sling it over a chair. Xelloss yawned heartily, his mind logy with a desire for sleep. He sat down on the bed, springs squalling in protest, and was in the process of taking off his shoes when the hand fell on his shoulder. He whirled immediately, mind berating him harshly. Baka! You should have sensed there was someone in the room!

"Beastmaster's highest ranking servant isn't as on top of his game as one would have thought," chuckled a voice he placed all too quickly. "You're lucky you're not dead right now."

"What do YOU want?" he asked with a grin. "You don't usually bother me with your presence."

His visitor's voice was thoughtful. "No, I guess not. How long has it been?" she asked.

He shrugged. "A long time," he said without interest, years did not concern him much anymore. "I was beginning to think maybe you'd shut up for good."

"You wish."

"So how are things?" he asked with savage good humour. "Pretty boring I'd wager."

"Not like YOUR life, huh? I see you've found another group of unfortunates to plague with your irritating antics and phoney smile."

He pointed to his mouth. "You mean THIS thing? Real as can be, my dear."

"Yeah right." Her voice lowered, becoming a sadistic whisper. "You can't even remember the last time you really smiled, can you? And I don't mean one of those giddy grins you make when you're feeding off of pain and suffering. I mean a real smile, one of happiness and joy."

He glared at her. "You don't know what you're talking about."

Baby's got a problem
Tries so hard to hide
Got to keep it on the surface
Because everything else is dead on the other side

"Don't I?" she whispered in his ear. "Face it Xelloss, I know you better than anybody. Even your mistress hasn't seen into your soul the way I have."

"Yare, yare. You certainly talk a lot for somebody without vocal chords."

"You can't feel anything anymore," she continued on, ignoring his interruption. "Not really. All you have now are these pathetic hungers and delights that pass for emotions among Mazoku. You just don't want anybody to know." She paused. "You don't even want to admit it to yourself."

Xelloss yawned again. "I swear, if you ever chose to voice your silly ideas more than once every few centuries I'd go perfectly insane."

She snorted.

Teeth in the necks of everyone you know
You can keep sucking until the blood won't flow
When it starts to hurt it only helps it grow
Taking all you need
(but not this time)
No, you don't

"These people you take such pleasure in tormenting, they don't trust you," she told him. He laughed.

"Like I didn't know that? They know what I am. What I'm capable of."

"They think they do," she muttered bitterly and Xelloss smiled broadly.

"Was that a little hint of bitterness I detect in your voice, dear? Hmmm?" He leaned closer, eyes glittering above his predator's grin.

"Parasite," she spat.

He nodded. "Right."

She sighed, the sound of the wind on a winter's night. "I keep forgetting that you usually enjoy being what you are," she said almost sadly. "It's a shame. You could have been so much more, something better, instead of just another gods-damned psychic vampire."

Xelloss nodded slowly. "Maybe. Maybe not. All I know for certain is that I also would be dead by now."

"Are you that scared of death?" she asked him. "You would rather spend every waking moment leeching off the miseries of human beings just so you can possess your coveted immortality?!"

And just for the record
Just so you know
I did not believe
That you could sink this low

"Yup," he replied cheerfully. She sighed again.

"Why do I bother? You don't have a scrap of humanity left in you, Xelloss."

"Nope," he replied, just as cheerfully as before.

You think that you can beat them
I know that you won't
You think you have everything
But no, you don't

"You're looking a little transparent dear," Xelloss remarked with delighted malice. "I think perhaps you have overexerted yourself. Maybe you should return to where you belong."

"Bastard." Her voice was weak. She lifted her eyes to his, cobalt blue blazing with determination. "But I want you to remember that while you may think you're so high and mighty this girl you're so taken with could very easily turn on you and kick YOUR fruity little ass if she sees reason to."

Xelloss hook his head. "Lina-chan? I doubt it, I really do." He smiled at her brightly. "Besides, you'll be there to help me if she ever gets it into her cute little head that I'm a personal threat."

She sighed wearily, her form drifting back to its eternal prison. "I guess we'll see," she said.

"Mmm-hmm. See you in a couple centuries my dear."

"You don't own everything, Xelloss," she cautioned, fading completely into ruby depths.

No, you don't
No, you don't
No, you don't
No, you don't

Xelloss smiled and caressed the globe set atop his staff, amethyst eyes glimmering in the half-light. "But I own YOU, Phedra darling. You'd do well to remember that."


Notes

This songfic makes more sense if you've read Xelloss.


Fanfiction