Chapter Five


Lina couldn't understand what was going on. L-sama was Zel's MOTHER!? How could that be? Just what was going on?

"Lina it's alright, calm down." L-sama called to her. "There is nothing to be upset about." Leaving Zel's side a moment she went over and gently took Lina by the shoulders. Guiding her over to a chair she had Lina sit and then looked her in the eye. "Lina you still there? Yooo hooo." L-sama chuckled at the sorceress supreme spacing out. "Zel you try and get her attention." Standing up she went back to the bed.

Zel came out of hiding (so to speak) and looked over at Lina. She looked like she was in her own little world and Zel knew of only one thing he was sure to bring her out of it.

"Mom come here, I have an idea." Whispering in her ear, two evil grins blossomed.

"That's mean, but it should be fun. Okay lets do it." L-sama walked over to Lina. Placing a hand on her head she focused her thoughts on food. Lots of food, lots and lots of yummy food and all of it being consumed by Gourry because Lina decided to space out. Needless to say Lina woke up and started yelling at Gourry to leave her food alone. Only to find no food, instead she found two people looking at her. One was grinning the other was doubled over in hysterics cause she had never seen one of Lina's flares ups before.

"What's so funny. I don't find anything funny about this. Now whose idea was that?" Stomping her foot she looked at them with fire in her eye.

"It was Zel's idea, but..."

"ZEL! I didn't think he had such a mean streak in him." She now focused her glare on him.

"Lina don't worry about it. Listen to make it up to you, I can whip up something really quick. Besides Zel needs to get some rest."

"I'm fine. Besides I have to many other things to do right now." Raising himself up he started to get up out of bed. L-sama quickly went back to the bed and pushed Zel down.

"You, young man, are going to get some sleep!" Before he could protest more, she concentrated and Zel quickly fell back onto his pillow, sound asleep. "Well he will be out for a while. Now lets go and get you that food I promised you." Leading Lina out of the room she started down the hall. Checking Gourry's room, they found him awake as well.

"Mr. Gabriev, I see you are awake as well. Would you like to join us for breakfast?"

"Sure great, I'm hungry."

"Then follow me."

Gourry quickly took his place behind the women; anywhere there was food to be had Gourry was right there.

"What about Xelloss? Is he awake as well? Should we check on him?" Lina asked.

"No." said L-sama looking at Lina quickly. They continued down the hall until they came to a set of double doors. Opening them L-sama showed the pair to the large table. "I will be back I a few moments. I'll get you something to eat." Walking into a little kitchen in the side, she created enough food to feed a large army.

"Well that should do it." Dusting her hands on her apron she walked back out. "Lina, Gourry here it is." Materializing the food in front of them, she watched as the pair inhaled the food. "Oh my, she really does pack it away. Thank goodness I can create all this. How can Zelgadis stay with them so much?" She watched as they continued to eat and eat and eat and EAT. "Oh yes, this will be interesting."


Zelgadis groaned himself awake. He did feel better, but he hated it when she did that. It always made his body feel all rubbery. "Oh well hopefully she was nice enough and took care of my back and foot." Sitting up he spotted his crutches. "Damn it she did it again!" Looking at his foot he found that it was still swollen and sore. Grabbing his crutches he preceded to his Mother's study. It was late and he had a shrewd guess that she would be in there at this time of night. Panting a little at the exertion he knocked then opened the door.

"Mother you in here?" He asked as he hobbled in.

"Yes dear, why don't you come join us."

Us? Zel came into the study proper. He spotted Lina munching on some crackers and Gourry was eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. (He just seems the type.)

"Zel you foots still sprained, Why? I thought L-sama had healed it, like she did your back?" Asked Lina.

"No and she's not going to." He half snarled.

"Why?"

"I'll tell you why." He continued. "Its because she wants me to stay longer. As long as it is hard for me to take care of myself and if I just happen to be here she won't let me go until I am better."

"Son, you visit so rarely and you leave as soon as your better, that I have to do something to keep you here a little longer." She said contritely but her eyes twinkled smugly.

Glaring at her a little longer, Zel then limped over to a chair and sat down. Placing his foot on a footrest he waited to get started.

"Okay Lina, what's you first question?" L-sama asked

"Your Zel's mother. How is that possible? Does that mean that Zel is actually a God like you? What are we doing here?"

"Do you have a problem with me being Zel's mother." Her tone was cold and her eyes were stone.

"No, not at all." She stammered thinking she had earned her anger.

"Good, now give me a reason why I should tell you about my family life?"

"Because Mother, if you don't, they are going to bug me until I tell them. And we are going to be here for a while." He snapped.

"Oh all right just for you dear. I'm not really his mother; I'm his adoptive mother. However, I have been the only mother he has ever known. His mother died while giving birth to him. She was all alone and she had no way of getting her newborn son to her only living relative. So with her few remaining breaths she prayed to me, she asked that I take care of her son whom she had names Zelgadis. She died at that point and a few moments later I showed myself to the young one. Picking him up I prepared to deliver him to Rezo. As I started to, he looked up into my eyes and gurgled happily. Well for some reason I never delivered him. Instead I kept him as my own. I did let him know when he was at an age to understand that I wasn't his real mother. And I showed him parts of his real mother's life.

"Yeah and don't worry about me being spoiled because of who she was. Half of all my problems have been because of her." He said seriously, jerking his thumb at her, but his eyes were teasing.

"True I never put up with brats. Can't stand them. And I made sure Zel had friends. NO one knew whom I really was when we would go into town. But I also had fun raising him because it gave me a chance to feel like a real mother."

"So how come Zel was turned into a chimera by Rezo?" Gourry asked.

"Because when he was 15 he felt it was time for him to be out on his own more. He joined up with Rezo until that little incident, as you know. But Rezo never knew I was his mother, otherwise he never would have changed Zelgadis."

"Well can't you change him back?" This time Lina was asking.

"I can but when Rezo changed Zel he had been possessed by Shabranigdo. And that's when my hands became tied. I had promised to stay out of the lesser lords business. So when they changed Zel I couldn't change him back because I would be breaking my word to them."

"That sucks." Mumbled Gourry.

"Tell me about it." Said Zel.

"The best I could do was place a cure on the world for him. I can't tell him where it is but I can tell him there is one."

"That is why I am continuously searching. I know there is one."

"Well at least you know there is one and you will find it." Lina said at last.

The group lapsed into silence. Each thinking about what L-sama had just told them. Well actually just Lina, Gourry had already forgotten all about it and was wondering when was breakfast. Zel and L-sama already knew about it. What brought them out of their brooding was the door to the study opening. Turning they looked to see a frightened/shy young man looking around the door. In his left hand he clutched his staff tightly.

"Umm excuse be." He asked meekly.

"Xelloss your up. I didn't think you would be." Lina smiled while she rose from the couch to go over to him.

"Ah...umm... but I think you have me mixed up with someone else. My name is Michael, not Xelloss."

Everyone looked at Michael dumfounded.

"Umm did I say something wrong?"


Everyone continued to look at Michael as if he had grown another head. Glancing nefariously at the group he walked over to a chair and stood behind it. Not knowing if he was welcome or not he moved the staff a little closer to his chest.

"You say you name is Michael but we know you as Xelloss." Taking him gently by the arm Lina led him into the chair he had been hiding behind.

"Michael does Xelloss sound even remotely familiar to you?" Asked Zel

"The ring of it does, but the actual name doesn't."

Sighing a little, Zel began to introduce everyone.

"Okay listen to me. My name is Zelgadis Greywers she is Lina Inverse, That person sitting on the couch is Gourry Gabriev and over there is The Lord of Nightmares."

"THE LORD OF NIGHTMARES?!?" He screeched flinging himself to the floor and bowing before her.

L-sama looked at the figure bowing before her. Within a moment her eyes began to glow. Glowing in rhythm to her heartbeat, she stood before Michael and raises a gentle hand.

"Rise young one, do not be afraid. Show respect but do not show fear which you do not feel in your heart."

Gesturing dramatically she presented a picture to them all. They looked up in wonder to see all the beautiful things she was conjuring. Well all of them but one, Zel was slouching in his chair with his head resting on his hand. He was wearing one of the most bored expressions on his face. Finally before she could really get into the act he ask a very simple question.

"Mother just what is it you're doing?"

"Hmm oh just felt like being silly. Anyway, Michael it's all right go ahead and sit down. We have a lot to talk about.

He stood but gave her another deep bow before returning to his seat. Looking at the others he studied them. Starting with the blonde one he noticed that he didn't seem to notice anything. He was just leaning on the couch and staring at the ceiling. Well that's what it looked like he was doing, actually he was sleeping and enjoying every minute of it. Sliding his gaze over to the woman he recognized her as the one who tried to kill him. Gulping at the memory of her power, he noticed that she was very well endowed, with red hair. Everything else seemed to be lacking the proper dimensions. She seemed like a nice person but he couldn't quite shake the feeling that you did not want to make her mad. (You know with all the stuff she blows up and how often she does it. Do you think she could be Irish? She has the hair for it) Finally his gaze rested on the strangest of the three. What Michael noticed first was his blue skin (duh). Inlaid in his skin was what looked like little pebbles while his hair was a light sky blue. He was dressed in shorts and a tank top, both of an off white color. Just as he was about to look away. Zelgadis turned his head and stared into Michael's eyes. Michael started and quickly looked away.

Zelgadis could feel Michael's eyes on him. It made him just as uncomfortable here in his mother's domain as on his own world. So he turned until he made eye contact, he saw Michael start and drop his eyes.

Lina seeing the exchange decided it was time to change the subject. Returning to her seat she addressed Michael. "Well now that we are all introduced. Why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself."

"Well umm... I really don't know much about myself. I woke up about two months ago under a tree. I was hurt bad but somehow I survived. I found a branch where I was laying and I used it to help myself walk around. I haven't let it leave my side yet. Well I was able to find a cave that I could call my own and started to live a life like a hermit. I would hunt and gather my food, but for the FEW things I couldn't get or make on my own, will I would... umm... kinda... steal what I needed. Then I saw you guys and was going to rob you for some of the things I needed but well you all know how that ended up."

"Yeah I know, but I wonder..." Zel went into his own little world and began to think of the possibilities.

L-sama choose that moment then to draw everyone' attention. "Well that enough for tonight. It's time for bed. We can talk about this tomorrow, in the morning." Shooing all but Zel out of her study, the others looked at each other then started down the hall to their rooms. As they went they heaved large yawns and walked into their rooms. L-sama went back into her study and sat back in her chair. Steepling her fingers she thought about what Michael had said.

"Mother that is Xelloss. I know it is. I removed a mental block from his head and Xelloss did break free!"

"I don't doubt that, but something more is going on." She said seriously.

"Oh like what?"

"I'm not to sure. I have to think about it more. But be ready I will call you if I need you."

"Don't you always." He asked smiling at her.

"Hump..." Suddenly slapping her hands, she changed the subject. "But like I said it can wait until tomorrow. Not its time for you to go to bed." Standing she went over to Zel and kissed the top of his head. "So off with you now." Flicking her wrist, Zel found himself in his own room.

"Damn it, why me? Why does this always happen to me? Why do I always seem to hang out with overly affectionate females?" With out really thinking about it, he got up and started pacing in his room. About ten minutes later he realized he was doing it without his crutches. Smiling at his eccentric mother, he fell on his bed and decided to get some sleep.


Chapter 6   |   Fanfiction