Episode Three


Zel walks onto the stage getting ready to start the show. As he was about to say

"Welcome to my show, today we have..."

A group of disgruntled audience members rush Zel and before he can say anymore they put a blade of light to his neck. Lina sees all this and immediately blast them with a wind spell. Then Chaos reigns supreme. (Whoa how did I get in this?) (Author snickers) Finally they tied up the would be terrorist and begin to question them. (Lina doing the questioning. Zelgadis doing the wincing.) It is finally brought forth that they are members of a military cult. The grand title they have given themselves was this.

The HTHDLAZGM and each letter is pronounced singularly. They are not the brightest of people. Oh are you by the way interested what all the means here it is.

How the hell did Lina and Zel get married?

Sighing Zel looked at Lina.

"Well Lina, guess we have to tell them."

"Oh alright. But first I am going to get a few munchies."

Definition of Lina "munchies" translated from the Lina to rest of the world food translation book.

Lina definition.

"Munchies."

Rest of world.

Enough to feed 5 people.

As oppose to normal 12 person meals.

Anyway back to story. Zel goes and sits at his desk with his feet up on it. Lina comes back with "munchies." With little regard to Zel she pushes his feet of the desk so she can put her food on it. Then sitting next to him a Curtain was pulled down. In addition, ladies and gentlemen let the flashback begin.


Thrusting his sword deep into the ogre, Zelgadis turned quickly looking for Lina. She had been separated from the group a while back and he was worried, frantic even. Slashing across the belly of a winged demon Zel spotted Lina. She was pushed up against the cliff trying desperately to hold off a dozen-winged demons. Moving at full speed Zel was at her side in an instant.

"Lina look out!" Zel pushed Lina out of the way as the ground gave out from under her.

Lina was pissed. She couldn't use any large spells with her friends around, and the ground wasn't that stable. If she didn't move it would go out from under her soon.

"Lina look out!" Suddenly she felt herself being thrown across the clearing. Looking back she saw Zelgadis falling over the cliff and 3 of the winged demons following him down, attacking him at every opportunity.

"Zel no!" Lina tried to rush towards the cliff but was intercepted by a half dozen other monsters. Lina killed them with one shot. Nevertheless, they kept on coming. After 15 minutes of trying to fight her way back to the cliff. She stopped and put her sword away.

"Okay that's enough. I'm tired of this and it's going to end NOW!"

Gathering her power and cupping her hands she began to chant

"Darkness beyond twilight

Crimson beyond blood that flows

Buried in the flow of time

In thy great name I pledge myself to darkness

Let all who stand before us be destroyed

Bye the power you and I possess

!!!!DRAGON SLAVE!!!!

Needless to say the monsters were gone. Lina didn't pay any attention. She just ran up to the side of the cliff and looked down.

"Zelgadis!!!" She screamed.

At that moment Gourry came running up, sheathing the sword of light. "Lina what's wrong?" Panted Gourry.

"Where's Mr. Zelgadis?" asked Amelia breathless

"He's down there somewhere. He saved my life. The ground gave way and he threw me to safety." Lina had the shakes and was still excited from all the action a few minutes before.

"Man that's a long way down." Stated Gourry. Looking over the cliff the fall was over 500 feet. The cliff then ended in a small box canyon. "Well Lina guess we have no choice, we'll have to climb on down and try and find him."

"Gourry you're dumber then dirt if you think I'm going to climb down."

"But Lina?"

"Amelia take Gourry. Rei wing." Jumping, Lina flew down quickly. Scanning the ground for any sign of the chimera.

"Damnit where is he?!? Wait, what's that?" Flying low she spotted what looked like a blue rock amid a bed of pink flowers. "Zel! Thank L-sama." Landing next to the prone form she went to check him out. Bending down she checked his pulse. "He's alive, barely." Starting from his head she worked down to his toes. Checking out all the injuries he may have incurred on the way down.

"Cracked skull, that's something. Shit it's still bleeding!" Grabbing her cape, she ripped it up with no hesitation. Wrapping his head in the makeshift bandage she continued her exam. "His unconscious that's for sure, black eye badly swollen. Must have got hit right in the face. His neck looks okay not broken or anything. Now for his chest." Ripping off what was left of his tunic she continued her exam.

"Chest has a few gouges one still bleeding not life threatening." Ripping up another part of her cape she applied another bandage. "Left arm looks a little banged up but nothing major. Right arm broken above the elbow and the wrist is twisted something awful." Moving lower still she started to look at his legs. "Left one is okay not much damage a few scratches really, but right leg is a mess. Must have landed on his right side!" Gingerly she picked up his broken leg. A low moan escaped from Zelgadis's lips but he didn't wake up.

"Looks like your leg is broken in 2 spots along with your ankle. Knee is twisted pretty good too." Looking down on her good friend she thought about what needed to be done. Standing she went into a nearby grove of trees and broke off the straightest branches. Going back to Zel she knelt and began to stabilize his broken limbs.

"Lina? Are you around here"

"Miss Lina?" shouted Amelia

Lina looked up and saw Amelia and Gourry running towards her.

"I'm over here, I found Zel. He's in bad shape. My guess would be he never had a chance to put up a shield spell and hit the ground full force."

"Anything we can do?" Asked Amelia

"Yeah, get Gourry to build a good shelter. We're going to be here a while. Amelia get some water and start to boil it. We need to clean his wounds before they get infected."

"Okay don't worry just will prevail and help those who fight for the cause of justice!"

"Amelia shut up and get the water going."

Amelia went.

Lina decided to leave Zel in the bed of flowers until Gourry got the shelter built. While Gourry was building a very sturdy shelter, Lina and Amelia worked on Zel. They bandaged him up properly and cleaned his wounds. Amelia had found some yellow herbs she knew were good at stopping and preventing infection. Mixing up a special poultice, she spread it across his head and chest. Anywhere he had a wound that was bleeding. Then taking some of the solution and spreading it on an especially large leaf, she applied it to his eye to help the swelling.

"Gourry how are you doing on that shelter?" Yelled Lina.

"Almost done. I'm putting the roof on now."

Now at this point you apply one of the laws of anime. When given a short amount of time and a dumb enough person who has to build a shelter. They always seem able to build a palace. Well Gourry had just built a fully furnished log cabin.

"Is this okay Lina?" Asked Gourry as he dusted himself off.

Sweatdrop please

"Ah yeah. Now help us move Zel in"

With Gourry taking Zel's torso and Lina and Amelia each taking a leg, they were able to move their fallen friend into the (ahem) shelter.

"Man is he heavy." Puffed Amelia. Laying Zelgadis onto the king size bed, Lina pulled up the sheets to his waist.

"I know, now Amelia think you can cast recovery on him?"

"Sure" getting to her knees she placed her hands on his chest. Muttering to herself she then cast recovery.

"Well that should do it." Clapping her hand she looked down. There was no change in Zel's condition.

"What the? It should have worked."

"Try again." Commanded Lina.

Amelia again placed her hands above Zel and cast the spell with the same results.

"Why is it not working?" Moaned Amelia.

It was mid afternoon when they found Zel and they worked late into the night trying to make him comfortable. Every recovery spell they tried had no effect on him. Lina was very worried. It was not natural for healing spells to not work on Zelgadis.

As night fell, clouds began to gather and the trio could smell the storm that was coming. Bringing more wood in they tried to make the shelter a more comfortable place. As the wind began to howl the door to the shelter was blown open and a figure stumbled in. Closing the door quickly the figure then turned around and stared at the other occupants of the shelter.

"What who are you? What are you doing here?" asked the figure.

"We could ask the about you!" snapped Lina.

"I live here. I saw the storm and thought this was one of my shelters."

"Well it isn't. So you can be on your way now." Lina snapped again.

"I am sorry and I will... who's that?" pointing at Zelgadis

"A friend, he was hurt bad saving my life."

"May I see?"

Lina looked at the figure. From the sound of the voice she guessed the person was female. She was dressed in a soft lilac colored cloak with hood. Her hands were encased in gloves of silver. On her belt she carried three items. A golden dagger, a bronze pouch and a scroll that looked older them time Her boots were knee high and made of silver fur. After careful considerations, Lina nodded consent. First she asked.

"But first who are you?"

"Oh I'm sorry. I should have told you before." Stepping back the figure removed her cloak. What she reveled to the group was a woman of astounding beauty. Her hair matched her cloak; in fact it looked like they were one in the same. Her face was angular but not so sharp to be considered a hag. Her ears were slightly pointed and one could see. The woman's lips were full but an icy blue and her eyes. Well her eyes looked they could see into the future. They had no pupil's only bits of light that gave one the impression of stars.

"My name is Destiny. I am a guardian of sorts." She stated.

The threesome stared until a groan issued out of Zelgadis.

"Zel? Are you awake? Come on wake up its time to eat. Or as you like it drink coffee." Coaxed Lina

"He's not going to. Something is terribly wrong with him. I could feel the pain in the woods a mile away and was coming to investigate the what could cause such feeling."

"What do you mean, he's not going to get better?" asked Amelia with suspicion.

"That's what I said. I'm not sure what is wrong that's why I was coming to investigate the disturbance. Now if I may could I please be allowed to look at him?"

Glancing from Destiny to Zelgadis. Lina debated again then finally consented to the request. Amelia eyeing the stranger still moved out of the way.

Examining the young Chimera, Destiny noticed many things that were wrong with Zelgadis. Not only his physical hurts. Also his anguish in his mind. The torment he felt in him everyday to the bottom of his soul.

"What? Oh my his shin is stone?!?"

"You have a problem with that?" Lina bristled instantly.

"No but it might explain a few things." Sitting back on her legs she though a moment. Finally she asked,

"Where did you find him laying? Its really important!"

"Lina was the one who found him." Said Gourry. He just happened to be leaning against the doorframe nonchalantly. His eyes hooded and sleepy looking. However, if you looked a little closer you would see a very alert gleam underneath. Moreover, the way he was leaning left his sword arm with complete freedom.

"I found him at the base of the cliff."

"Was he laying in anything?" Destiny continued to look into Zel's eyes. She did not like what she was seeing, but she was careful not to let her thoughts reach her face.

"Um I think he was laying in some flowers?"

"What color were they."

"How the hell should I know? I was to worried about Zel to care what color the flower were." Snapped Lina

Switching to a formal tone.

"Miss Inverse it is vitally important."

"Fine! I think that the majority of them were pink, but when we lifted him up there were a couple of blue ones"

Nodding her head. "I thought so. Listen if you want to save your friend then you're going to have to move fast." Standing straight now she looked Lina right in the eye

Holding her hands up in the classic symbol of the time out. "Hold it, wait a minute! What's wrong with him?" asked Amelia.

"He has been poisoned. In a very painful way, It has to do with the flowers your friend fell into."

"What do you mean?" she asked again

"Those flowers are called stone eaters. From the look of your friend and the fact that he was bleeding into them, I would say he doesn't have much time left."

"What are you talking about?" demanded Lina

"Those flowers are known as stone eaters. They normally grow near cliffs because they eat rocks and turn them soil. They spread their pollen like other flowers but when it lands in a grove of rocks that is when it starts to grow. Then it blooms into the flowers you saw earlier."

"But why would poison Zelgadis?" asked Gourry.

Lina immediately hit him in the head.

Destiny blinked a bit but took it in stride.

"He is part stone and also part living being and I would suspect something else. Therefore his blood is moving the poison around his body. His blood does go to his stone skin up to a point. Well the poison is attacking the stone and beginning to slowly eat away at it. So now he is slowly being dissolved from the inside out.

"My God is there anything we can do?" asked Amelia; panic was beginning to creep into her voice.

As Destiny is explaining to Amelia. Lina is looking more and more hopeless. Zelgadis is dying and it was her fault. If she had been quicker none of this would be happening.

"Zel I am so sorry. If there was anything I could do to prevent this I would. It was my fault. I should have been the one to fall over the cliff!"

Placing a hand gently on her shoulder, Destiny quietly said, "Miss Inverse, none of this is your fault! If Mr. Greywers had to do it over again knowing what would happen, he would do it again in a second. Without hesitation!"

Sighing and not taking her eyes off Zelgadis's face she asked. "How long do you think he has?"

"Hmm let me see." Peering at his eyes for a third time and taking in the fact he had groaned a couple times, his physical condition and a few other factors. She calculated his time.

"Well how long does he have" Lina asked starting to sound peevish.

"I'd say 4 days but with one already gone it would now be three."

Lina gulped and looked back at the Chimera. Destiny looked at Lina very closely. Finally she made up her mind.

"Miss Inverse may I speak with you outside for a moment?"

Lina looked at Zelgadis again then nodded. Standing she followed the guardian. Once outside Destiny turned and faced Lina.

"Do you want to save him? Think carefully, for once you answer, your life will be forever changed once you do!"

Lina being Lina didn't stop to think for a second. This was Zelgadis after all.

"Yes I do."

As she said this, the wind howled and the rain began to come down in torrents.

"Then come with me we don't have much time. I have heard of a special potion that can save him. I can help you get it but, it is totally dependent on what you do."

"What potion? Where is it? Who do I have to steal it from?" asked Lina breathlessly. If there were a chance for Zel she would take it.

"You don't steal it from anyone. You are going to have to make it."

"Alright what are the ingredients?"

"First it would be wise to tell your friends you are going. That way they don't worry to much about you."

"Alright"

Walking into the hut again, Lina told Gourry and Amelia that she was going to go get the antidote she hoped would heal Zel.

"But Miss Lina..." sputtered Amelia

"No buts, take care of Zel while I'm gone. I will be back in 2 days." Marching out the door Lina stood next to Destiny. "I'm ready, where to first?"

"Come with me. Walking into the field she pointed to the wind blown flowers at the base of the cliff. Is that where he landed?"

Lina just nodded

"Alright take this basket and put a blue and a pink flower into it"

Lina kneeled and did as she was told.

"Now follow Me." and walking into the storm tossed night the two started their journey. The smaller one occasionally stooping to pick up an item.


"I hope Miss Lina will be alright." Sighed Amelia. Taking a cloth from a basin next to the bed she applied it to Zel's forehead.

"So do I Amelia, so do I." Said Gourry looking our the window


They had been traveling for a day and a half collecting the necessary ingredients

"Alright Miss Inverse, you have just one more ingredient to get before you can save Mr. Greywers.

She is always so formal oh well "What is the last ingredient I have to get?"

"Up on that mountain is a grove of wild flowers. You will have to climb up there. Don't try to use magic it doesn't work up there. You have to climb up there and pick as many as you can. Take this basket since the other is so full. Now hurry you don't have much time left."

Lina grabbed the basket and ran as fast as she could to the base of the mountain. Once there she looked up and hooked the basket to her belt.

"Well Zelgadis this is for you."

Grabbing a rock she started to climb. As she climbed higher and higher the air became thinner. Lina could barely breath. At times she wondered why she was doing this. Then she would think back at the young man whose life depended on her so much

"I'm almost there Zel. Just hold on a little longer and we can be together again." Lina climbed higher until it came to a point that she thought she couldn't go on any longer. However, each time she would think back to Zel and continue up. Then at last she came to her goal. Climbing over one last ridge she spied acres of purple flowers.

"Oh wow they're beautiful."

Walking into the fields she began to pick her fill. Quickly filling her basket she still yearned to pick more. Sighing she turned to go. As she began to walk away she felt a force calling her, telling her whispering to her to pick her fill and that the lone basket she had brought wasn't even close to being filled. Suspicious of the voice but willing to believe, Lina looked into her basket. She discovered the voice was right. So she continued to pick the flowers and before she knew it she had pick every flower in the field. Still feeling like it wasn't enough but better then when she had tried to first leave, she started the climb down the mountain. When she reached the bottom Lina saw Destiny standing where she had left her and walked up to her.

"Can we go back yet. I can feel Zel dying as we speak." Lina asked

"Yes." Destiny nodded

Taking Lina's hand is her own she opened an invisible gate and transported them to the clearing.

"Now Lina this is where you have to figure out what doses of what to give to Zelgadis. Look to your heart and believe what is there."

"But what are you going to be doing?"

"There is nothing more I can do. Like I said before you have to prepare it. The only things I can offer you are these.

  1. If you feel that something should not be included, don't include it.
  2. Preparation is the key. Both the potion and the way you give it to him.
  3. Don't allow anyone but you to touch the ingredients. When you give him the potion you can be the only one to touch him at that time. And
  4. If you head says one thing but your heart says another. Follow your heart

Lina gulped but nodded.

"Fare thee well then young one. Let it all work out as you wish it would." Destiny then walked into the woods without looking back.

Wow that was some speech. "Follow my heart? What does she mean by that?" Walking towards the shelter she felt something from all the flowers she had picked.

Spread us on the ground here Looking at the sky Lina saw the storm clouds receding, leaving behind a clear shy painted with the hues of coming sunset.

Doing so she began her preparation.

"No this one doesn't feel right." Tossing a black flower into a discard pile. "This is a good one." Puts in pot. Picking up a particular red flower she put it to nose. "Oh this is smells so nice." She threw that one into a special pot she had prepared for the potion as well.

About 1 hour before sunset Lina walked out to the shelter. Knocking, Gourry opened the door. When he saw her he was about to say how glad he was to see her. Then he saw her expression.

"Lina what is it?" He asked instead.

Ignoring him, Lina walked into the room. Looking down she saw Zelgadis had not improved. In fact he looked worse. His skin was a dull blue. His normal spiky hair lay drooping on his brow. His breathing came in shallow gasps his chest barely moving.

"L-sama I hope I'm in time." Taking Zel in her arms and using a large amount of levitation spells she carried him over to the mountain flowers she had laid out earlier on the ground. Placing him gently on the bed of flowers she arranged it so that his back lay against her chest.

"Oh man I feel like I'm forgetting something all of a sudden." Thinking hard she looked everywhere. Finally her eyes spied some of Zelgadis's dried blood.

"Blood, that's what I need. Both his and mine." Hating to do this she called forth a dagger of fire. Nicking his skin she was able to draw a little of his blood. Next she took out her own solid dagger and cut herself then placed a few drops of each other's blood in the potion.

"Almost time. But not quite."

Looking at the setting sun, she watched until only a few seconds remained of daylight. Putting the cup to Zelgadis's lips she poured it down his throat. Then she took the cup and placing it at her own lips she drank the rest. Turning she looked and watched the sunset.

"Oh please let this work! Please I've followed my heart all the way up to this point. Don't let me fail here. Not now!"

"Hmm funny Lina, I never heard you beg like that before."

"!!!ZEL!!!"

"Yes Lina. You followed your heart to this point, and now I have to follow mine."

At that point he turned and kissed her. She was so startled at first but she quickly lost her startlement and settled down to enjoy it. Sadly it didn't last very long. Breaking away before she wanted to Zel turned around and leaned back against her.

"Zel what are you doing?" Asked Lina even as she put arms around him.

"As little as possible. My head hurts something awful and I don't even want to start in on my leg!"


Some how Lina was able to cast levitation the Rei wing. She did it in such a manner that she could get then back to the cabin, without moving either one of them from their positions. It also helped that Zel had fallen asleep from all the pent-up exhaustion he had.

"Lina are you two alright? We couldn't see what you two were doing." Asked Amelia in a worried tone.

"Amelia." Placing Zelgadis on the bed again she pulled the covers up to his chin. Siting next to him she bent down and kissed his forehead. Then looking up she addressed Amelia. ' I hope you'll forgive us but today at sunset we found each other." Said Lina a little hesitantly. She didn't now how she would take it and she didn't need any more stress in her life right now.

"Forgive? What's to forgive? I've known for some time now. In addition, I have learned to accept it. In fact I was starting to worry because you two had yet to discover each other."

Lina just stared a moment then hugged her. Crying "Amelia thank you!"

"Um Lina what about me?" Gourry asked shyly

"I'm sorry Gourry I see now that it could never be." Looking downcast she avoided his eyes.

"I wasn't talking about that. I maybe dumb but I'm not always dense. I could also feel your love for each other. I just want to know something?"

"Yes?"

"Can I give the bride away?"


End note

The foursome stayed in the little valley for another month. Recovery still didn't work worth a damn on Zel thanks to the stone eaters. Seems like they don't like those kinds of spells. What did work on him was sleep spells so he spent much of his time asleep. It was deep enough that he needn't fear bad dreams or the pain of his injuries. Whenever he was awake Lina was by his side, helping him to eat sit up or she would change his bandages. Many a night they would stay up talking or just resting in each other's arms. Finally on the fifth week Amelia was able to cast recovery on Zel. With a slight limp Zel was able to walk out of the valley on his own. Though one could tell he was still affected by his injuries, for he would lose his balance often and lean on Lina to recover. She in turn give would give him all the support he needed for the rest of their lives.


"Well Sir Knight, did all work out as you could have wished?"

"Yes much better in fact. You couldn't see it but I did. She was able to pick every flower there was on that mountain."

"That is amazing Sir Knight, she must have loved him truly to be able to pick all the flowers in the fields."

"Yes I thought as much. To be able to pick the flowers out of that field at al shows her love for him. But being able to pick all of them is truly a wondrous thing."

"As you say Sir Knight."

"Destiny you are good but even you need help from time to time."

"As you say Sir Knight"

"Well Destiny I shall leave you now. If you have need of me and the need is great. Call me and I will come." Walking away the Knight disappeared into the fog.

"I will, My Lady Knight." And Destiny went to continue its timeless rounds.


Episode 4   |   Fanfiction