Different Sides to One Soul


Zelgadis sat in the noisy room glaring at his drink. He felt like throwing the glass against the wall. He was lonely, more than he had ever been in his life. It's not like he couldn't find someone to talk to or go out on a date with, he had practically every woman in the room was eying him with desire. Yeah he didn't have his hood or mask on, in fact he wasn't even wearing the ivory outfit that he had worn in the past. Why wasn't he wearing it now? What was the need, he wasn't even a chimera anymore. Zel had found his cure but to quote a phrase from a story that I can't quite remember, 'sometimes the cure is worse than the curse.' I bet I have you confused don't I? Perhaps I should start at the beginning...

As usual the slayers gang was traveling around searching for treasure and more leads to a cure to Zelgadis' curse. But like they had done so many times in the past Lina had lead them to some famed restaurant so that she can pig out.

"Lina don't you think you've eaten enough?" Zelgadis asked impatiently tapping his fingers on the tabletop. Lina had already eaten over twenty plates worth of food and was working on her twenty-first.

"What's wrong with you Zel? Why are you in such a hurry?"

"Because I want to go find my cure! You said that there might be a cure around here and you only brought us all here so that you can feed your stomach!" Everyone was staring at them.

"Why the hell are you yelling at me for?! Damnit the only thing you give a damn about is your cure! And yeah I did say there might be a cure here, and I wasn't lying!" Lina matched Zel's evil glare.

And what was their traveling companions doing during this little spat? Xellos was watching with great interest, Amelia and Sylphiel were trying their best to ignore them and enjoy their meal and Gourry wasn't really paying attention to the fight but he was stealing food from both Zelgadis and Lina.

"You weren't lying huh?! Then where the hell is my cure?!"

"Up in the mountains next to the town!"

"Alright then I'm leaving!" Zelgadis packed up his stuff only to have Lina grab him by the arm.

"What do you mean, 'I'm leaving'?! You aren't going to go there without us are you?! Can't you just wait for a moment till we are done eating?" Zelgadis just shock off Lina's hold on his arm and stormed off. Lina wanted to scream at him. Why is he acting like such an idiot?!

"Miss Lina just leave him be. He's been a chimera for so long that he's desperate."

"But he shouldn't go up their alone! He could get himself killed Sylphiel!"

"I'm pretty sure that Mister Zelgadis can't take care of himself." Lina sat back down at her seat but she found that she just wasn't as hungry as she was before.


Zelgadis hiked up the mountain grumbling all the way. "All she cares about is herself! Probably doesn't even care that I'm cursed one bit."

"Who doesn't care?" A whispery voice spoke from above. Up in a tree a little ahead of Zelgadis a small black creature spoke eying Zelgadis with a cold grin. The creature could easily see that the ivory clad man was a chimera. Looking for a cure hmm? Are you willing to pay the price?

"I was told that there might be a cure to my condition here. Do you know where I could find it?" Zelgadis didn't like the way the creature was looking at him but since he was in such a rush getting out of the restaurant he didn't find exactly where his cure could be from Lina.

"You're a chimera right? And you wish to be human? Do you see that cave over there?" The creature pointed over to a cave farther up the trail. The cave's entrance wasn't very large but it was big enough so that Zel could fit through. "You can find a cure in that cave. Go if you wish..."

And the creature disappeared after that.

Zelgadis didn't like the look of the cave. It doesn't look all that stable. It could probably collapse at any moment but I have no other leads... So against his better judgment he went in the cave. The first he noted when he entered was that dark and musty.

"Ah-Choo!" Zelgadis spun himself to see Lina standing behind him.

"What are you doing here!" Zelgadis spat out.

"I came to help you. You don't think I'd let you come here all alone do you?"

"I don't need your help. So just go back to town and feed your stomach."

"I lost my appetite because of you! I was too worried to sit back there to do nothing. So come let's go see what's in this cave." Lina said no more and marched past him deeper in the cave.


The farther in the cave they went the darker and colder it got. Lina could barely see a thing and even Zelgadis with his chimera vision was finding it hard to see. Maybe that's why neither of them saw the dark creature watching them.

Time to see if you are really willing to pay the price for your cure.. The creature mentally cackled.

"So I see that you made the decision to seek out your cure. Tell me are you willing to give up anything for your cure?" The creature's whispery voice startled both Lina and Zelgadis.

"I - "

"Zelgadis wait! Think this over. Remember how you asked for power and Rezo gave it to you by cursing you? How do you know that this guy's offer might not be what you really want?"

"If I except this offer of yours, will there be anything bad that will happen to me?"

"I promise you no."

"Alright then I am willing."

"Perhaps you should have listened a little more to your red head friend or at least said good bye to her..." An energy spell of some sort shot right through Lina. She screamed in pain as the creature kept the spell going killing her.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?! LIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNAAAAAA!" Zelgadis tried to stop the creature but he was thrown back against the cave wall.

"You said that you were willing to give up anything for your cure. So I'm taking your friends life."

"STTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!" With whatever strength he could gather up Zelgadis tackled the creature ignoring the pain of the deflection spell. He forced the creature to stop the spell and Lina fell to the ground with a sickening thud.

"Well no matter her life will be gone soon. But since you attacked me you will not get your cure..." The creature then disappeared.

"Lina? LINA!" Zelgadis screamed at her picking her up in his arms.

"(cough) Zel... I'm s-sorry... that... you couldn't..."

"Lina please save your strength! I'll help you!"

"It-it's too...late...but...you'll get...your cure...(cough)I can give...it to...you... I lo - ..." Lina's eyes closed, she was dead. Zelgadis was about to scream in anger when a strange light enveloped them both. It blinded him and he shut his eyes from the brightness. When he opened his eyes the light was gone and so was Lina.

With very little strength Zelgadis forced himself out of the cave. He felt strange different somehow and he didn't feel whole. There was a profound emptiness in side of him and he couldn't explain it.

The light outside the cave was much too bright but it was there that he first got a glimpse of himself. His hands were pinkish, flesh not stone. He looked at himself he wasn't a chimera anymore...


Indeed Zelgadis was not a chimera anymore, but he wasn't human. He didn't know what he was. His skin may have been flesh but his ears were still pointed and his eyes slanted. Though his eyes remained the blue that they were before but his hair was a different story. It was now red instead of the blue that it was supposed to be. It was almost a sick reminder of what happened. His friends had tried to help him but Zelgadis pushed them all away. He felt like a monster, maybe he was one now he really didn't know. He ate though he didn't know if he needed to, he slept not knowing if it was necessary and drank even though he wasn't thirsty. But you see there was a little side effect to his transformation. Besides the fact that Lina had to die in order for him to lose his chimera form, he gained immortality to a certain degree. After that day Zelgadis stopped aging while almost everyone around him aged and died. Amelia, Gourry, Sylphiel... they all died long ago after living long lives. How many years had it been since Lina's death? Hundred? A thousand? Zelgadis lost count. Time was meaningless to him and was lonely. He couldn't stand to let himself care about those he would dramatically outlive.


So now here we are at present time. Zelgadis was developing a headache from all the chatter in the room and he needed to get out. Outside, the town was far worse. Damn it's way too noisy! I guess I'll leave and head over to... to where am I anyway? What town is this? He was confused but he really didn't care. Towns were built and destroyed; it was just pointless for him to keep track of them all.

The silence of the woods was a welcome to him but he felt the familiar stab of loneliness. He sighed and looking back at the town and walked forward ramming into a short girl.

"OUCH! That hurt!" The girl looked up at Zelgadis with her ruby red eyes. The man somehow seemed very familiar to her but she didn't know who he was. He stared into her eyes with an intense gaze. She could see a spark of recognition in his eyes. Does he know me? "Who are you?"

Zelgadis was taken back. When he first glanced into her eyes he could have sworn that it was Lina. The same ruby red eyes, but now he looked a little more clear headedly. Her eyes were slanted, she wasn't human or not fully and her long hair wasn't red, it was blue. Though she appeared to be in her late teens she was probably much older. What was I thinking? She's dead. He got up and walked past the girl.

"Hey! I'm talking to you! Answer me!" She demanded grabbing his arm. Zelgadis froze on the spot. Her voice it was just like Lina's. But then it had been many hundred years since she died. He hadn't heard her voice in such a long time that he really didn't know what her voice sounded like anymore. Damned head is playing tricks on me.

"Hello! Anyone home in there?!" She knocked on his head.

"Leave me alone." He growled at her. She backed off and he continued walking.

"What if I don't want to?" She challenged him. The girl kept up with his pace and was walking right next to him. What am I doing? It's clear that this guy wants me to go away, but I can't. I feel drawn to him some how.

"..."

"Well you aren't going to get rid of me for a while so you might as well talk to me. My name's Iris, what's yours?"

Zelgadis just glared at her. Can't she get the message that I don't want her around? He chose not to answer her again.

"Well maybe if I talk a bit about myself you might talk. Okay what can I say about myself? I guess you did notice that I'm not fully human. You see my mother was either half monster or a full one. I really don't know because I never met her. I don't really know my dad that well either. He was never around when I was growing up. He's probably dead now that I think about it. I may not look it, but I'm about 200 years old. Don't know how long I'll live for but from what a priest told me I'll live for a very long time. But you probably don't care about that. Let's see what else can I say?"


Iris went on for a long time chatting away but still Zelgadis didn't say anything to her. Even when they walked into the next town and she commented on everything being very annoying he still kept his mouth shut.

"Aren't you going to order anything?" They were now in the restaurant and Iris had just finished order more than 15 people's worth of food. While Zel on the other hand just sat there glaring at her.

"Yes, sir are you going to order?" The waiter's voice did express some fear but still he had to ask.

"..." Zelgadis was actually a bit speechless. He hadn't seen anyone order that much food for a long time. Just like Lina... What am I thinking?! And why is she even here?

"He doesn't talk that much. Um let's see now what would he like? How about this, this, this, and that." She pointed at a few items on the menu.

"Yes Miss I'll be back with your food later." Their waiter left with a very worried expression.

"Okay Mr. Personality this is just getting ridiculous. Do you hate me or something? You can't even tell the waiter what you want to eat in front of me! All I've got from you since I met you is 'leave me alone' you know you really have to work on your people skills."

"Why are you here?"

"Egad he speaks! I'm here to eat."

"That's not what I meant."

"I really have no idea, but I hate it when I'm ignored."

"Zelgadis."

"What?"

"You wanted to know my name, it's Zelgadis."

Iris smiled. Zelgadis? Well I finally know your name.


Almost a month later Iris was still traveling around with Zelgadis. She was determined to get him to open up to her. And for the most part she was winning the battle.

"So Zelgadis where are we going now?"

"I don't know. Whatever town is past this trail."

"God Zelgadis! All we do is travel aimlessly! Have you always done this?!"

Zelgadis' expression turned grim. It didn't take her long to realize that she said something she shouldn't have.

"Yes Zelgadis what did you do?" A man in tan and black asked smiling like cat.

"Xellos! What do you want?!" Zelgadis glared at the trickster priest.

"What is wanting to have a chat with an old friend a crime? And who is this lovely lady? Hmm?" Xellos' smile disappeared from his face. She's part monster. But why do I sense her only having half a soul?

"This is Iris, now scram!"

"No really Zelgadis could I speak to you alone for a few moments?" Iris fumed about this but did leave the two alone, even though she was annoyed.

"She's cute. When did you start traveling with her?"

"About a month ago."

"Actually I'm a bit surprised that you are traveling with anyone. Is there any special reason why you would make her exception? I guess she being part monster would be a good reason. She'll live a long time."

"I don't really know why I'm traveling with her. She refuses to leave. I don't know why she wants to travel with me but it's a bit odd, she reminds me so much of Lina..."

Xellos couldn't deny it, Iris did have some resemblances to the great Lina Inverse of the past, but he was worried about Zelgadis. He kept himself isolated for so long and only now does he start to talk to people again but to a woman who is like Lina whose death had caused this emotional breakdown.

"How much do you know about Miss Iris?"

"Enough to know that she's Iris and not Lina if that's what you're asking."

"Well Zelgadis be careful." Xellos phased out leaving Zelgadis with his thoughts.

"Is he gone yet?" Iris poked her head from out of the bushes.

"Yes Iris."

"Good because I don't like that guy. Okay I'm going to make a compromise when we get to this next town how about we make a traveling plan of some sort? Would that be fine?"

"Okay Iris."


Upon reaching the town Iris felt a strange sense of déjà vu. She felt like she had been this town before, but she for certain that she hadn't. This is Golwinda, I know I haven't been here before... but why do I feel like I have?

Zelgadis on the other hand wasn't experiencing déjà vu, he knew that he had been there before. Right next to Golwinda was a small mountain, the very same mountain that Zelgadis had sought a cure and where Lina had been killed. He shuddered.

"Zelgadis what's wrong?"

"Nothing let's go to the next town."

"We can't it's too late to!"

"Fine then let's camp out in the woods."

"What?! What's wrong with you?" This was something Iris had never seen before. Zelgadis had always been rational and fearless only now he wasn't making any sense and seemed a bit fearful. What is he afraid of? Does this place have some bad memories for him?

"Nothing is wrong with me!"

"Then what is wrong with staying in this town?!"

"..."

"If you just give me a straight answer then we'll leave okay? Just tell me what is wrong!"

"... Nevermind let's just go to the inn..."


Once inside the inn Zelgadis went straight to bed without even eating. This bugged Iris quite a bit. There was something very wrong with him. She just fiddled with her food not eating much of it. She was worried about Zelgadis and it was affecting her appetite.


Up in Zel's room he just sat on his bed with his hands buried in his hands. "My damned cure! Why did I care so much about it! Yeah I got what I wanted but why did she have to die?! WHHHHHYYYYYY!!!!!!"

"Zelgadis?" Iris knocked lightly on the door.

"..."

"Can I come in?"

"..."

Rather than wait for him to answer Iris just came in with a few plates of food.

"Since you didn't go for dinner I though I'd bring some up just in case you got hungry later..."

"What are you doing here?!"

"I came here because I thought I could help you."

"I don't need your help! Just go back downstairs and feed your stomach!"

"I lost my appetite because of you! I was too worried to sit back there to do nothing! So - "

"SHUT UP! This, this...is just like back then..." Zelgadis did something he thought he would never do, he broke down crying.

"What happened to you Zelgadis?"

"I-I used to be a chimera... I wanted a cure so badly... And she died because of me..."

"Who?"

"Lina... Why was I so stupid?!" He fell to his knees on the floor sobbing. Years of repressed turmoil were finally catching up with him and his grief was profound.

"Zel..." Iris wanted to help him but she didn't know what to do.

"I want, I want..."

"What do you want Zel?"

"I want Lina back!"

"Did you love her?" It was now that Iris finally realized something, something that had been bothering her ever since she could remember.

"I-I-I don't know..."

"She loved you..." Zel's sadness suddenly turned to anger.

"And how do you know that?!" He glared at her in the eyes.

"Because Zel," She placed her hand on his face, "I remember..."

Everything about Zelgadis' vision blurred and suddenly he was where he was when Lina died. She was in his arms and dead and light enveloped him and Lina.

Zelgadis do you remember this? Iris' voice spoke softly to Zelgadis from the vision.

"Yes, this is when Lina died and I got cured..."

Do you know how?

"No..."

Then watch.

Zelgadis watched what happened in the light before. He didn't know before how long he was surrounded in the light, he figured about a few seconds. But now he realized it was a lot longer. In the light he felt everything around him become warm.

Do you know what is happening?

"My soul... it's becoming one with Lina's..."

Yes that's right for a brief moment the two of you shared one soul.

"It cured me..."

Yes and since she was dead her body disappeared right then.

"And she took half of our soul with her..."

What have you felt since then?

"I've felt empty..."

Because half your soul was gone.

"..."

What do you feel now?

"Whole."

Do you know why?

"I'm with my other half, but how?"

Zelgadis open your eyes.

Zelgadis opened his eyes and what he saw was Lina looking at him. Her hair was the same fiery red that it was before. Sure her eyes were still slanted but it was Lina.

"Lina... But how?"

Iris or Lina took her hand from his face and her hair turned back to it's blue color. But it didn't matter to Zelgadis, it was Lina even if she looked a bit different. He knew it was her because he could feel it.

"I was reborn as Iris, but before I was Lina. When I died and was reborn I felt empty inside, like part of me was missing somehow. Then I met you and I felt drawn to you somehow. It took me a little while but I finally remembered who I am..." Lina turned away from him only to have her be wrapped up in Zel's arms.

"Lina I'm so sorry... All I cared about was my damned cure..."

"Zel please don't apologize."

"No I have to! I got you killed..."

"It wasn't your fault!"

"But it was... how can you ever forgive me?"

"Because I love you..." She looked into his eyes lovingly.

"I love you too." And he kissed her. The different sides to one soul, reunited at long last.


Fanfiction