Part 2: Reasons


Lina's dessert turned out to be a buffet's worth of sweets and Lina ate all of it. Zelgadis just sat there shocked. He never knew someone could that much at once, let alone a girl. Of course if he had seen what she had ate prior to his arrival then he would have thought, well how knows what he might have thought.

"Mmmm... that was good..."

"How can you eat that much?"

Lina looked at her new employer with a cross look. Well at least he's not commenting on my appearance like some people do.

"It's a family gene disorder that I've inherited from my dad's side of the family. Basically we have to eat large amounts of food or we die."

"Oh."

"Before we go I have to get some things from home."

"Far enough are you ready to leave the restaurant?"

"Hmm I guess I still have room for -- "

"Lina!"

"Yeah I'm ready lets go!"

Zelgadis followed Lina while she zigzagged around town. First she went to a food mart and picked out some supplies. Then she hit the general store to get traveling gear (Relm: I guess that I should mention that because Zel hired Lina he's paying for all this stuff ^-^) and she finally went home. Even though Lina invited Zelgadis inside her home he just stayed outside refusing to come in.

Lina got whatever else she felt she needed, including two more of her orihalcon swords. She made sure that the rest of them were in the rotation circle. Whatever swords in that are in that circle are swords that Lina can use even if she's no where near home. All she needs to do is hold out one that she has with her and imagine which on she wants to use. Then that sword in her hand will switch with the one she wants. Also the circle acts as a barrier that protects them from any thieves.

While Lina wasn't looking both Gavin and Luna placed their swords in her bag. Why did they do this? Well I don't know and neither do they. They did it without really knowing why. (Relm: Well I actually know why, but I'm not going to say.) Also Lina went downstairs to a dark room and pulled out some things and stuffed them in her other bag. Lina did this in the darkness so that no one could see what she was doing. Back upstairs Lina was ready go and she went outside to meet Zelgadis.


At first Lina and Zelgadis traveled in silence, neither one daring to start a conversation. This really started to bug Lina. What's with him anyway? Talk about anti-social. Funny he didn't seem that way in the restaurant. But he promised to tell me if I went with him, so damnit I'm going to find out why!

"Say Zel, didn't you say that you would tell me why you want this item if I went along with you?"

"Hmm... I suppose I did..."

A short silence filled the air.

"Well?"

"Oh you want me to tell you now?"

"That would be nice..."

"(sigh) Okay, well the item I want is actually in the item that your friend -- "

"Don't you ever call her my friend!"

"Okay your old acquaintance, Naga posses."

"The item is in an item. Okay what does the item that Naga has that your item is in look like?"

"It's a small orihalcon statue of a woman."

"Heh, she probably thinks that it looks like her... Oh boy if that's the case then maybe my secret weapon wont work after all," Lina considered it for a moment, "What am I saying? This is Naga here! It will definitely work."

"You have a way to get the item from her?"

"Yeah, but it's a back up. Hopefully I wont have to use it."

"What is it?"

"Never you mind! Also you haven't told me what the item you want really is! And what you want it for!"

"The item is about this size," he said picking up a small rock, "The Philosophers Stone."

Lina facefaulted.

"The WHAT?! Are you telling me that, that freak Naga has the Philosophers Stone, the most ultimate magic amplifier in the world?! AHHHHHH!!!!! That's insane!"

"Yes it does seem odd to have such a powerful item fall into her hands now doesn't it?"

"How did she get it in the first place?"

"Well originally I had one of my men infiltrate the 'Dragon Fangs' a low class bandit group. The statue ended up in one of their treasure holds after they stole it from a wealthy noble."

"So you were going to steal it from bandits... gee there's no shame anymore is there?"

"You should talk. Wasn't stealing from bandits the way you and Naga made your money when you traveled together?"

"(nervous laughter) Um, that doesn't matter. Anyway continue on. Your man was going to steal the statue when?"

"When Naga came in and started to blow up the base."

"You mean she had enough magic skill to do that? Wow I'm impressed, she used to be such a ditz."

"She still is. She casted spells such as 'Diem Bomb', 'Flareball', and the weirdest of all 'Sea Cucumber Slave'."

"(sweatdrop) Well that's Naga for you..."

"Yeah. So she blew up the base, took their treasure and left with her bodyguard."

"Funny you'd think with a bandit group name like the 'Dragon Fangs' that they would have a dragon..."

"Oh they did."

"What happened to it?"

"Last I heard it was flying around terrorizing villages."

"For pete's sake! At least Naga could have done was deal with the dragon as well as the bandits... But you haven't answered one question yet. Why do you want the Philosopher's Stone in the first place?"

"Well you see body wasn't only like this..."

"Go on."

"My great-grandfather once asked me if I wanted power to be stronger. Blindly I accepted his offer. I shouldn't have taken his words so lightly, because the next thing I knew I was turned into the hideous freak I am now."

"Um, Zel, you don't look that bad. If fact you look kinda cool and plus all of the advantages you must have now!"

"Yeah I have a lot more abilities. He made me into a chimera of 1/3 golem, 1/3 demon and 1/3 human. With my golem part I've gained strength and defense, my demon part upped my magic power and my human part just keeps me from looking worse than I already am."

All Lina just did was rolled her eyes as Zel continued.

"I was given this power under one condition, I was supposed to help my great-grandfather find the Philosopher's Stone."

"So you are looking for it for him? After what he's done to you?"

"No of course not! I want to make him suffer. He wants the stone to fix an imperfection of his body. But he's gotten so deranged that I'm pretty sure that he would much more with the stone if he had the chance."

"So you are doing this to stop him?"

"And to get revenge."

"Well I don't quite favor the revenge part, but at least you are trying to take the world or something."

"Why would some one want to do that? It would just get boring if they achieved that goal."

"Yeah but it's such an impossible goal that some people just do it for the challenge."

"Hmm... I guess so. What would you do if I was planning on taking over the world and just not telling you?"

"But your not trying to take over the world, I can tell that."

"How?"

"I'm a pretty good judge of character. I can usually tell if someone is lying to me."

"Oh is that so?"

"Yeah. So where is Naga anyway?"

"Not too far from here, about a day or two's worth of walking."

"Provided she hadn't decided to go somewhere you hadn't expected."

"..." Zelgadis' face got noticeable darker along with his expression.

"I'm sorry I mentioned it. If we hope real hard then maybe she wont. Either way I'm pretty confident that I can find her. Hell I have a harder time trying to get away from her most times."

"..."

"Hey would you just lighten up? She probably stuck with the route your figured."

"..."

"You are really starting to bug me..."

"..."

Lina got right in front of his path so that he had to stop and look at her in the face.

"Okay I'll stop it Lina."

"Thank you. So what do you do for fun?"

And they continued their conversation as they went in pursuit of Naga the annoying.


Rezo smiled wirely. Well Zelgadis it looks like you are going to do all my work for me. Though it interesting that you picked her of all people to help you get the Philosopher's Stone. This just made things a bit more... interesting...

Rezo started to laugh like your typical villain while Dilgere and his lackeys just looked at him funny.


Part 3   |   Fanfiction