Part 5: Trolls, Berserkers and Fish Oh My!


Lina and Zelgadis continued their search for Naga and her bodyguard. They backtracked to the town where the bandit group, The Dragon Fangs had been terrorizing. To both of their surprise, the town that once stood was now nothing more then a large pile of rubble.

"Holy that dragon did all this?" Lina mused out loud commenting on all the damage.

"Oh no the dragon wasn't the sole cause of this..." An old man said grumbling walking towards them. "You might as well just go away and not bothering staying in this town. We are in no condition to take in any travelers." The old man glared at them.

"That's fine we wont be staying anyway. We're just here trying to find someone. Do you by chance know where we could find the mayor of this um town." Lina nervously laughed.

The old man's eyes narrowed at them further. "I am the mayor of this town. What business do you have here?"

"We are looking for two travelers that might have came through here. One is a tall blond swordsmen with long hair. And the other is a tall lady wearing a skimpy black outfit with a black cape and she has long black hair -- "

"And an extremely annoying laugh?!" The mayor spat out.

"So you have seen them then?" Lina asked with a smile.

"Have I seen them?! Oh yes I've seen them! That stupid girl is the reason why this town was destroyed!" He screamed out.

"Oh boy... looks like Naga that idiot has really done it again." Lina muttered under her breath.

"Say you wouldn't happen to be friends of them now would you?" The mayor glare intensified.

"Us? Friends with that annoying brat? No, no, not at all! We're not friends with them." Lina laughed nervously starting to back up. She grabbed the back of Zelgadis' cape to get him to back up too.

"But didn't you say that you were looking for them?"

"We just want to buy something that she has that's all. Just for business!" Zelgadis insisted.

"You're lying! You are friends with that Naga!" The mayor screamed out loud. Suddenly hundreds of townspeople appeared right behind the mayor holding those makeshift weapons again.

"Zel you know what is good to do in a situation like this?" Lina said to Zelgadis in a quiet voice.

"What?"

"RUN!"

Thus the two of them sprinted off with the townsfolk chasing after them.


Gourry and Naga made their way into a town with the intensions of going to get some food and wine. Naga didn't know what town they were at know did she care to know, all that mattered to her was whether or not she could get wine.

"Ah now this looks like a fine establishment! OHOHOHOHOHOH!!! One fit enough to satisfy the Great Naga the White Serpent's mighty thirst! OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!!!!" Naga commented on the restaurant and laughed out very loudly and people walking by her cringed at the sound.

"Naga why do you always have to laugh like that? Doesn't that hurt your voice from laughing so loud so often?" Gourry asked thoughtfully.

"Silence infidel!" Naga commanded while dragging Gourry inside the restaurant.

Once seated Naga ordered her wine and dinner and Gourry ordered his dinner. Which left the waiter in a daze on how big the order ended up being.

"Naga don't you feel even the least bad at all about that town you destroyed?"

"Now why would I Naga the White Serpent feel bad about that puny little town from before?! OHOHOHOHOH!!! And what do you mean that I destroyed?!?! I did nothing of the sort!!!!" Naga glared at Gourry.

"Yeah you did Naga. You summoned that big headed thing that squished the town flat along with the other dragon."

"Well if someone had irresponsibly let that dragon loose on the town I wouldn't have needed to summon my beautiful stone dragon. OHOHOHOHOHOH!!!! Where's my wine?!?!"


After a lot of running Lina and Zelgadis had finally out rang the townspeople.

"Geeze that was tiring... That stupid Naga always screws up everything she does!!!" Lina snorted sitting herself down on a log.

"What could she have done to destroy the whole town like that?" Zelgadis asked in wonder.

"Well Naga specializes in summoning magic so chances are she summoned a creature to fight the Dragon Fang's dragon."

"But she would have to have summoned a large creature in order for it to fight the dragon properly."

"Yup."

"But that would be insane! Having two large creatures fight each other right in the middle of a town populated with people! What was she thinking?!" Zelgadis exclaimed.

"Yeah well that's Naga for you, very little thought going through her brain at a time. She really doesn't think that far ahead."

"So where do you think she is right now?"

"Probably at the next town by now drinking herself drunk. But I have no idea which town that would be though." Lina said with a sigh. "Of course if Naga hadn't been such a brainless idiot we could have asked the people at that town that just chased us out on where they went. And it's a little on the late side to go traveling off to the next town."

"So are you suggesting we camp out tonight and continue traveling tomorrow? But wont that put us really behind on catching up to them?"

Lina stretched. "Nope. She'll probably will be so drunk that she'll be asleep for at least a day."

"How can a person drink that much?"

"Honestly it's just a pain to try and figure out that girl. So do you want to get the fire going? I'm going to see if I can get us some fish for dinner."


Hours later after they had eaten Lina was asleep and Zelgadis was taking first watch. It was a calm night with the sky clear of clouds overhead and littered with tones of twinkling stars. Zelgadis sighed and looked over to Lina.

She was sleeping so peacefully despite the fact that she was literately traveling around with a stranger to her. She said that she was a good judge of character, but how did she know that he wasn't some bad person who planning to something bad to her. Her trust in him unnerved Zelgadis.

How can she just blindly trust me? Zelgadis thought to himself looming over Lina.

Even before he was turned into a chimera he wasn't used to having people trusting him right from the start after meeting him. People usually thought he was strange person and they didn't want to trust him. But yet here was a person he freely trusted him even though she barely knew him and he was chimera too.

She's a very odd person. He grinned and went to sit back down when he heard the sound of a twig breaking.

Zelgadis froze in place. He listened closely thinking it might just be an animal. But then he distinctly heard the sounds of soft footsteps coming towards them.

"Lina." Zelgadis whispered.

Lina mumbled in her sleep but didn't wake up.

"Lina!" Zelgadis whispered a little louder.

Lina still didn't wake up.

"Lina!" Zelgadis said louder this time but she still didn't wake up. Great... Zelgadis got himself ready for oncoming attack.

"ATTACK!" A voice screamed from the woods.

Suddenly a rush of berserkers, trolls and goblins came rushing towards Lina and Zelgadis' camp. This woke Lina up.

"What the hell is going on?!" Lina yelled.

"We're under attack Lina." Zelgadis said while slicing a troll with his sword.

"Oh hell couldn't they wait till morning?!" Lina whined while still in her bedroll.

"No Lina it looks like they couldn't. Now are you going to get out of bed and help me? Or am I going to have to do this all by myself?!"

"Do I have to? I'm tired!" Lina whined.

"Yes!"

"Alright, alright!" Lina got up slowly and drew one of her swords and went to help Zelgadis.

Within minutes they had all the creatures killed on the floor.

"Now will you explain to me on why we're being attacked for?" Lina asked Zelgadis with a grumble.

"Because my master wants you dead." An ominous voice said emerging from the woods.

"Delgire." Zelgadis narrowed his eyes at the wolf/trollman.

"So I take it you two know each other?" Lina said tiredly.

"His name is Delgire and his master is my great-grandfather."

"Yes that's right. I've come here to kill the both of you. My master knows what you are trying to interfere with his plans. He's very hurt that you would want to betray him like that."

"So because he's hurt he wants to kill Zel. Boy does that guy need anger management."

"Zel? Oh so that's how it is huh? Here I thought you picked her up to help you get the statue. I had no idea that you were sweet on her." Delgire said with a sneer.

Lina just rolled her eyes. "You know you can go away now. I'm tired and I want my sleep."

"And what are you going to do about it you short little flat chested brat?" Delgire dared her on.

Lina's eyes flamed with an angry glare. "You Are SO DEAD!!!!" Lina screamed brandishing two of her orihalcon blades. But this time it was a water and a lightning sword. With one swing Lina sent Dilgere flying backwards with a large splash of water.

"HAHAHAHAHA!!! Is that all you've got?! A little bit of water is not going to stop me!" Delgire declared.

"Oh yeah you think so?" Lina grinned. And with one swing of her lightning blade many volts of electricity were sent through Delgire's wet body.


After being pretty much forced out of their camp Lina and Zelgadis went running through the woods trying to get ride of whatever tail they might have.

"Gosh those guys never give up now do they? You know you really should have outlined exactly how much danger you were putting me in when you asked me to do this job." Lina said sitting down at the lakeside once they had finally lost those chasing them.

"Well when I asked you to help me I didn't think I would end up with this much trouble. Up until then I hadn't really gotten any trouble from them." Zelgadis looked around the woods nervously. He didn't like the sudden silence. It had been too easy to loose them.

"Before your great-grandfather didn't know what you were planning to do. Which means he probably has someone spying on us."

"Or he's spying on us himself from afar."

"Then he really must be good at magic to do that."

"Yes, yes he is. Can we get going? I don't know if we lost them yet." Zelgadis said impatiently.

"Alright, alright I just want to get some water first." Lina went to drink some water when she saw a pair of large eyes staring back at her in the water. But before she could scream she was pulled straight into the water.

Zelgadis heard the small splash and looked over to Lina. But to his surprise she was nowhere to be seen. Now where did she go? Then he saw the air bubbles forming in the water. I just hope it's not that thing... Zelgadis sighed as he put up a barrier and went into the water.


Lina tried to get free of the fish that was dragging her to the bottom of the lake but she couldn't. The fish ended up being this fishman creature bigger then Lina with arms and legs.

What the hell is this thing?

"Aren't you privileged, you get the honor of being the queen of I, Prince Noonsa the beautiful!" The fishman declared to Lina as he pulled her to the bottom of the lake.

Lina facefaulted.

"Hey I'm the best looking guy in my tribe. You're lucky to get a fish like me."

Lina shuddered. He's got to be kidding. If he's the best looking I'd hate to see the ugliest. Ug I need air! Lina went to start swimming up to the surface when she was almost impaled by a spike.

"Oh no you don't you wont leave me! I'll be devastated to be stuck alone!" Noonsa declared sending wave after wave of spikes from his back.

Oh great a flounder with feelings... I need air! Lina thought desperately.

Zelgadis came up behind her, enveloping her in his barrier.

"Air! Sweet air!"

"Are you okay?" Zelgadis raised an eyebrow.

"Yes but is there anything you can do about the fishman?"

Zelgadis rolled his eyes as Noonsa came towards them. The two of them took a step back in the water just as Noonsa went into the barrier.

"Flireball." Zelgadis sent a fireball into the barrier making Noonsa a fried flounder.

Once back on dry land Lina rung out her clothes. "Ug I hate being in wet clothes. Stupid fish just as annoying as Naga..." Lina muttered.

"Shall we get going?"

Lina just sighed and they continued trekking through the woods.


Part 6   |   Fanfiction