Part 2


"She has magic powers that exceeds yours, and supposedly, from what has been rumored, even dragons are afraid of her. Her companion holds the sword of light, a sword that can rip even through your skin."

"I'll handle it," the chimera shrugged. "Where is she?"

Rezo thought a moment. "I don't know. But apparently, her reputation is so renowned for eating that if you enquire any "top class" restaurant in a city, they'll tell you she's been by."

"Really," Zelgadiss retorted without interest. "And her name is?"

"Lina Inverse."

His arrogantly crossed arms suddenly, slowly fell to his side. "...Lina Inverse?"

kotoshi mo hitotsu kisetsu ga megutte : This year, another season has passed
omoide wa mata tookunatta : The memories are fading again

"You sound as if you know her, Zelgadiss Graywords," Rezo said, his tone slanting innocently.

He turned away scornfully. "Never heard of her."


aimai datta yume to genjitsu no : dreams and reality
kyoukaisen wa kokunatta : the bounderies of them are becoming blurred

"Hey, Zelgadiss?"

Zelgadiss broke from his thoughts and looked back at Gourry in response. "What?"

Putting his fork down, he scratched his chin. "I've noticed something about you, recently."

Lina and Amelia looked up from eating, in surprise. "And what have YOU noticed about him?" Amelia asked doubtfully.

"Well, Zelgadiss never seems to smile..." Gourry said thoughtfully. "Perhaps he's depressed..."

"That's not true!!" Amelia cried defensively.

"You are such an idiot, Gourry," Lina agreed. "Zelgadiss has ALWAYS been like that."

"That's not what I meant, Lina-san... But then..." Amelia hesitated, letting what had been said get through. "Now that you mention it.... Zelgadiss-san, why don't you ever smile?"

All eyes were set on him, waiting for the response. He shrugged carelessly. "If there's nothing to 'smile'' about, then why should I? Anyway, I DO smile, it's just that none of you ever notice."

"Really. Some people smile all the time, Zel," Lina contradicted annoyedly. "Feeling positive or not."

"If you're talking about Gourry and his stupid, forsaken, happy-go-lucky smile, then I'd rather not-"

"I'm not talking about Gourry!!" Lina said angrily. "Gourry smiles all the time because he just doesn't know any better!! (gourry: umm''....) But some people!! they always..."

soredemo itsuka kimi ni hanashita : In the dreams I once told you about,
yume ni uso wa hitotsu mo nakatta : there were no lies

She trailed off. "they just... do..."

Gourry pet Lina's head playfully. "Zel was just sharing his opinion, Lina..."

"...But..."

La La-i


Lina knocked on Zelgadiss' door before entering.

Zel looked up from the map he was studying on the table. "... Lina?" He closed the leaflet. "What are you doing here so late?"

She bounced onto his bed. "I couldn't sleep... so I thought about what you said this evening..."

He raised an eyebrow. "What?... What did I say that was worth remembering...?"

She ignored that last sentence. "Well actually, I came to 'contradict' you about what you said about only smiling when you feel like it," she said, crossing her legs. "I just want you to know you are wrong."

He raised an eyebrow. "I don't understand. 'Wrong'?"

"You have spent these few years looking for a cure, haven't you? Becoming a human again would make you happy, wouldn't it?"

"I guess," he replied non-comitally. "But I don't see what that has to do with anyth -- "

"Okay then," Lina cut in. "Let me ask you a question. Why do you want a cure for your form so badly?"

He hesitated. "...What?"

"Why do you want a cure?!" she repeated impatiently. "Is it because you want to fit in?! Is it because you think you are being rejected because of your... 'unusual' demeanor?!"

"Both of those, of course," he said. "Think about it, Lina. Would YOU want to look like ME?"

"So... you're saying it would make you happy?"

"Yes..." he said with a confused expression on his face, "though not ultimately euphoric or anything."

"So you would smile all the time if you were human..?"

"Lina, you are annoying me."

"Am I really?" she retorted, slightly annoyed herself, standing up to leave.

"...No, but your naiivety really is stressing," he smiled lightly. "It's disturbing me."

"Is it...?" she said thoughtfully, "it would probably be nice if you smiled like you just did more often..."

"What are you talking about?" The curve of his mouth instantly dropped again.

kyou ga totemo tanoshii to : If today's so joyful
asu mo kitto tanoshikute : tomorrow will probably be the same

They both shrugged simultaneously, deciding not to bother with arguing about whether he did smile or not. Zelgadiss opened the door for her, and paused. "I've never really told anyone this before, but when I was still human, in a way it was like what you said... Life was just simple, and I didn't have a single worry... "

"You always smiled?"

"... That wasn't really my point, Lina," he said, vexed, "But I don't remember whether I did or not anyway."

"...But then....?" she prompted. "What happened? What happened to change that attitude of yours?"

"What do you mean 'what happened'?" he asked. He pointed to himself as if it were obvious. "THIS curse happened. Everything changed. Everything."

"No," Lina shook her head and laughed insensitively. "What REALLY happened? ... I mean, why did this...'curse' change things for you? Things couldn't just change like that."

sonna hibi ga tsuzuiteku : Such days would always continue
sou omotteita ano koro : that's what I thought anyway

"I don't understand, Lina," he said slowly. "And isn't it time you slept?"

Lina crossed her arms across her chest arrogantly. "I'm not sure whether you really don't understand, or whether you are just bluffing."

"Good night, Lina Inverse."

"Good night, liar," she said uncompassionately. She stalked off, and Zelgadiss closed the door behind her.

He picked up the map he had been studying prior to her visit, and after an attempt of trying to read it again, he set it down again.

kurikaeshiteku mainichi ni sukoshi : In the repeating days
monotarinasa o kanjinagara : if I felt a little uncomfortable from them
fujizen na jidai no sei dayo to : I went beyond them and gave up
sakimawarishite akirameteita : 'it's because of unnatural timing'

There is this girl, Lina. I love her very much. I couldn't forget her. And as the years go by, I think I've come to love her even more. She chose to accept me because I "looked nice" and because, perhaps, I was so persistent. But I didn't have the power to compete with her. So I had to leave. Train so that one day I could best her. And I have succeeded. My powers exceed hers. I can tell even without having to fight her. But, I can't tell her. She told me she would wait for ME to come back to her. How can I show her this? How can I tell her that this, this was what she has been waiting for to return...?

La La-i


"Xellos... I know you're following me."

"Oh..." The priest suddenly appeared out of nowhere, looking forlorn. "So you did know I was listening, Lina."

Lina shot him a deathly look. "Actually, I only sensed your presence approximately 3 seconds ago... You weren't actually eavesdropping on my conversation with Zelgadiss, were you?"

"... No..." Xellos remarked innocently.

Lina sighed, and continued walking. "I'm assuming that because you're still following me, you have something to ask me."

"Lina, you are so presumptous!!"

"Ask, or shut up."

Xellos thoughtfully crossed his arms across his chest, and floated after her. "I really don't have anything to ask you, Lina... though I do have a comment to make... Would you care to hear it?"

"Not really."

"I smile a lot," he said with a huge smile.

"...Xellos," Lina replied, unmoved, "it is ONLY when YOU smile, that I know you have some ulterior motive. In other words, I'm more apprehensive than glad when YOU of all people, are feeling joy."

"Oh," Xellos said with disappointment. "I thought you might have been touched if I said that..."

"Xellos. Is there something else you're meaning to say? This cover up isn't working either..."

"Damn, Lina!! Am I getting too predictable these days?... Or are you just tense and refuse to play my games...?"

They reached her room, and Lina stopped and turned to face to him. "Well?"

"Can I come i -- "

"NO," Lina said defiantly. "Say whatever it is you have to say here and NOW."

He looked defeated. "Well, you'd probably be better off not knowing what I know..."

"Okay then," Lina complied 'obligingly', opening the door and entering. "Good night."

"Wait Li -- "

His wooden rod prevented the door from slamming on him. "I really do have something to tell you!!"

"You had your chance," she sang. "So good night..."

"Don't wait for him any longer."

She was trying to push his stick from blocking the gap. "What are you talking about?" she asked distractedly.

"I'm telling you to cease your hopes of him returning."

kyou ga totemo kanashikute : today is very sad

She heard him this time, and swung open the door, causing him to stumble forward slightly. As she stared hard at the floor, Xellos wondered if he shouldn't have spoken. "...Lina?"

Lina's head tilted upward slightly to meet his eyes, and she angrily met his gaze. "Fireball!!"

He was flung back (singed) against the opposite wall. She stalked over to his fallen figure, and pulled him up by his burnt collar. "I," she said seething, "have no idea what you know, or HOW you know. But don't you EVER mention what you just so insensitively said to me just now again. Ever."

Lina released him her grip, strode into her room, and slammed the door behind her. Her heart felt like lead, and her head spun.

asu moshimo naiteitemo : and even if I cry tomorrow

I 'm waiting for you to come back to me.

Then perhaps you could show them all what happiness looks like.

Because there IS such thing.

You could teach Zelgadiss to grace the world with smiles like yours...

...I wonder if you've forgotten me.

It's been a long time.

I think... I'm ready.


sonna hibi mo atta ne to : There will come a time where I can think 'there were days like that'

"Go~od morning, Zelgadiss-san!!" Amelia sang, leaping down the stairs. As usual, they were both the first up.

"Good morning," he answered half heartedly before taking a second sip of his drink. "You seem cheerful today."

"Really!?" she nodded distractedly, hailing a waiter for a menu. "I didn't notice!!... But I guess so!"

"What do you mean, you 'didn't notice'?" Zelgadiss asked wryly, half expecting the answer. Lina's conversation with him last night was really biting him.

"Well, it's such a beautiful day!! I feel all wonderful and won't even mind if Lina-san destroys a few cities today!!"

Zelgadiss sighed inwardly. "That's not new," he breathed. "But not to change the subject Amelia, but I was wondering if I could ask you something?"

He was interrupted by a voice from behind him. "Isn't Amelia too young to get married, Zelgadiss?"

"Lina-san?!" Amelia exclaimed, raising her hands to cover her blushing face. "You're up~!! So... early!!"

"Yeah," Lina agreed, rubbing the back of her neck. "I think the weather is getting to me."

"But the sun is out and the sky is cloudles -- "

"Sorry I interrupted your question, Zelgadiss," Lina said hurriedly, cutting her off. "I didn't realize you were going to pop it so soon."

"Lina-san~!!!"

waraeru hi ga kuru darou : and laugh about it, someday

"Stop giving Amelia ideas, Lina."

"I'm helping you, Zelgadis, I'm helping you," Lina yawned tiredly and stretched. "And you know what I want to give you both as a wedding present?"

Zelgadiss looked angrily up at her. "Lina, stop it."

She disregarded him. "This might not seem like anything much, but Xellos appraised them for me a while ago. They are apparently worth quite a handful." She laughed. "I think I'm ready to give them up."

... I really am ready to give them up.

"I said, 'Stop it', Lina!" He was standing up now. He shot a glance at what she was holding, and froze.

Lina lowered her hands for Amelia to see, and immediately, Amelia's eyes flew to where Lina's ear lobes. "Lina-san... don't play such a c-cruel joke on us!!"

"Suuure, Amelia," Lina was continuing suggestively to Amelia, "I know what you're really thinking~"

ikudo meguri meguri yuku: how much time must pass

She placed the solid gold spheres into Zel's hands and closed his fingers around them. "There."

... I guess this is saying good bye. I'm finally ready to let go of you. Good bye.

"I can't take this anymore!!" Zelgadiss finally exploded. "What the hell are you doing, Lina?!"

The whole room was staring now, and both girls exchanged glances.

Lina laughed uneasily. "It was... just a joke, Zel..."

"Don't take Lina-san so seriously, Zelgadiss-san~!!" Amelia said, following Lina's lead.

kagiri aru toki no naka ni : in our numbered days?

"Then what's with your earrings?!"

You know?? You didn't even tell me your name. What a difference it would have made, if you only had...

"I... was just thinking of a cheap way to get rid of them!! They are huge, and quite heavy anyway... What, did you really think it was a wedding present?!"

Zel stormed out of the room, clenching tightly onto the little globes.


bokura ha ima ikite ite : We are living in the present
soshite nani wo mitsukeru darou : What will we find...?

I'm tired, Zelgadiss thought to himself. I'm just... exhausted.


Part 3   |   Fanfiction