Part 1


Hashiri tsudzukeru darenimo tomerare wa shinai
Mirai no jibun e to Give a reason for life todoketai

Lina sang this last part feeling her voice echo throughout the enclosed room. As the music ended, she took off her earphones to the applaud of Filia, her blonde manager. "That was great, Lina! Now we better head off to the 10.2 Radio Station quickly for your interview! We're gonna be late, if we don't hurry." Lina let herself be dragged out of the room.

Singing was her life.

She sung all day, all night, all the time. Not that she didn't have anything to show for it. A world-famous singer with a long record of cd's trailing behind her. Exit Running, Give A Reason, Just be Conscious... and a heap more! She had a very decent alto voice which brought seemingly unending groups of fans to her.

Which reminds me, she thought. I better get my sunglasses out. If this is like anyother da -

Lina stopped suddenly as they reached the front door. "Filia! I left my bag upstairs. I'm going to go get it, okay? Wait for me in the car." Without waiting for a reply she ran into an opening elevator.

"Sure...go ahead." Filia sighed to no one.


"THERE YOU ARE!" Lina stomped towards the pale blue bag, who was silently sitting on the sofa. She picked it up, and flung it over her shoulder. Stepping into the dark, empty hallway of the building, she glanced at her watch who told her she was going to be late. She hurried out, struggling a bit in her too tight pants. Suddenly, soft music flooded the hall and Lina stopped. Must be another singer... she mused to herself. BUT I'm late. No time to -

The thought flew from her mind as she heard a low, tenor voice begin to sing.

suki datta...hitori sora o miage
yuuyami no naka tasogareru no ga

She stopped walking and closed her eyes, letting the music seep into her.

hitomi tojiru to kokoro o tozashite
ikite kita jibun ga
tada yukkuri to toozagatte kiete yuku

oh lord... Lina thought. Only an angel could have such a sweet voice. She walked towards the room where the sound was coming from; the music showing her the way. She came to a door, and she opened it. She entered the vocal adapting room and saw Syphiel; one of her own voice mixers.

"Hello, Miss Inverse!" Syphiel smiled, fetching a chair for Lina. "What are you doing in here?"

Lina pointed at the glass window, through where a chimera was singing the song. "Who is he, Syphiel?"

"Hm? Oh, that's Zelgadiss Graywords. He's a lowly singer here, but he's finally getting his first single out this month."

"Lowly singer? How long has he been singing?"

Syphiel thought a while; her lips frowning slightly. "I'd say... about... two and a half years."

"Two and a half years?! How come I've never heard of him before?!"

"shh...They have to mix his voice. Well, he's a lowly singer as I earlier said."

"But with his voice, you don't even have to mix it..."

"LINA!" The said redhead whirled round to see a very angry Filia.

"Oh... Filia... I, um..." Lina stuttered.

"I've been searching for you for AGES! Now we ARE late! Come on! Let's go right now! I've already called them up to delay the interview, so hurry up!"

"But..."

But Filia would have none of it. She grabbed Lina by the hand, and dragged her out the door. Syphiel sympathetically looked after Lina and Filia, smiling lightly. She turned back to watch Zelgadiss finish his song.

Never say goodbye to my friends
Because I make our dreams come true
hontou no ore, dear friends forever.
uketomete kureta dear my friends forever.


"Where are we going? The exit is that way!"

Filia rolled her eyes. "You don't know HOW MANY people there are out there. We're going out the back door. The car's gonna be waiting for us there."

Sure enough, the white Mercedes stood outside ready to go. Filia practically threw Lina inside, and slammed the door.

"Ouch! Filia, you don't have to be so uptight..."

"Gourry! Get a move on! We're supposed to be there in exactly seven minutes! And Lina. I told you we were late, and STILL you were dawdling around in the building!"

Lina smiled apologetically.

"GOURRY! Why aren't we moving?!"

"Red light?" he answered meekly.

"Filia?"

"What!?"

"Hush... you're 'spazzing' (author's note; a term i used a lot as a kid...). Anyway, I was wondering. You know many celebrities out there, don't you?"

Filia shrugged. "I suppose s-GOURRY! The light is green now!"

"Filia! Listen to me!"

Her manager sighed. "Yes, I'm listening, Lina."

"Do you know someone called Zelgadis Graywords?"

"...Never heard of him. Why? Who is he?"

"You sure? He's a singer with a very nice voice."

"You're a singer with a very nice voice."

"He's a chimera."

"The world is full of chimeras, not to mention mazoku and dragons. Look, I haven't heard of him. Why? Where'd you see him?"

"... Filia. I want you to go and find out anything you can about him, and if he's interested in singing with me. Okay?"

"But..."

"Please, Filia. Just do as I say."

"...Fine. But I'm warning you, it's not a good thing if he's a chimera."

"Why?"

"Well. He's not a human."

"So?" Lina asked stubbornly. "Neither are you. You're a dragon."

"At least I can change into human form. Look, even if you aren't prejudiced against them, half the world is."

"Personally, I wouldn't care if the WHOLE world was."


Part 2   |   Fanfiction