Part 1


"Zelgadiss Graywords." Both words were annunciated clearly... and with a low tone of voice.

"Y-yes, Lina?" came the reply. Of course, since Zelgadiss was dating her, he shouldn't have any reason to be afraid of her; even if her voice was slightly intimidating. But something didn't seem quite so right today.

"Do NOT tell me you forgot what the date is today."

"The date? It's February 11th."

"Precisely. Zelgadiss," she snapped at him. "Does this date mean anything to you?"

The chimera thought for a moment. If he didn't remember what the occasion was, boyfriend or not, he was going to get killed. He shuddered, and decided to take an educated guess. "Today is..." he started.

"Yes, yes?!" Lina prompted happily. So maybe he did remember...

"...your birthday?" he finished in almost a whisper.

Silence filled the room suddenly.

...

Zelgadiss swallowed hard as he noticed the redhead tighten her fists at her side. Oops, he thought horrified. Maybe I was --

"FIREBALL!!"


"At least you know how I feel when Lina does that to me, Zel," Gourry smiled. "Though I do feel kinda sorry for you... But remember, love does hurt," he smirked.

Zelgadiss sighed, trying to smooth his charred hair. "Do YOU know what the big day is?"

"You think? I'm not dating her."

"You wouldn't know even if you were, you dolt. Oh forget it. I've got to do something. She's incredibly pissed at me, you know."

"You honestly don't know the occasion?"

"I wouldn't be talking to you if I did. Hell." Why did he come see the dumb blonde anyway? Maybe he should try find someone else to help him out.

"Maybe you could try Sylphiel," Gourry suggested. "I will be meeting her soon!!"

Zelgadiss pricked an ear up. "Do you think she'd know?" he asked hopefully. Only realizing he was talking to Gourry and that of course he wouldn't know.

"No. But it's worth a try, of course!"

True... "Where's she meeting you?"

"Well," Gourry said looking at the time, "right here, right now. Good timing, yes?!"

"Yeah, whatever."

Just at that moment, the door to the inn opened and in walked Sylphiel. Beside her was another female. Zelgadiss' stomach did a sharp turn inside him.

"Gourry. What is Lina doing with Sylphiel?" he whispered angrily.

"Oh... Damn. I completely forgot Zel!! Sylphiel arranged to meet me here With Lina!!"

"What?!"

"Hello Zel-san, Hello Gourry-sama!!" Sylphiel smiled pulling out a seat. Zelgadiss inwardly groaned. It was too late to run and get out of this now.

"Hi Gourry," Lina greeted.

"...hi." Gourry returned uncomfortably.

Tension floated around the table. And increased another notch as Zel tried to smile at Lina whilst she turned her head the other way.

"So..." Syphiel started uneasily, "is ...mm... what were you and Zel-san doing just now, Gourry-sama?"

"Oh. Zel and I?" Gourry said, thinking he might help ease up the feelings by conversing, "We were just talking about Lina and how she was pissed at Zelgadiss because of something he wasn't so sure of. So he came here and as -- "

"FIREBALL!"

Said Zel before Lina could. And blushed and excused himself to the restroom.


Part 2   |   Fanfiction