Part 1


"Greydwers."

"Yes, sir."

"The general would like to see you in his office."

"Thank you, sir."

The accomplished military soldier saluted and exited the room formally, shutting the door firmly behind him. Top of his military class, Zelgadiss Greydwers excelled in both the use of magical force and physical combat. His aim with machinery was close to 'perfect', not that machinery was of much assistance in a world of magic. His name was infamous among military ranks, as he completed every mission assigned with much satisfaction from his seniors.

One might believe him to be a blood thirsty killer, if having heard of the rumors spread concerning him. He had certainly ridden of many rioters and their violent protests, by simply: killing them, and not to mention; SINGLE HANDEDLY. In short, he was certainly feared by many, even those of higher ranks. It was a good thing, they knew, that Greydwers was on the military's side, otherwise the militia and the rest of Japan might just undergo chaotic slaughter.

But those who knew 'Zel', and few did, knew him to be somewhat different from his reputation. Killer, he may be, but blood thirsty? That word didn't describe him too well.

In fact, he was a polite young man, someone who respected all, both seniors and juniors. He couldn't care less who he killed - he was assigned to wipe out something or someone, so he did. That's why they paid him, wasn't it? One mission after another became simply repetitive, or an everyday thing for him, thus, emotion didn't play too large a part in his work, although it didn't seem to a play big part in his social life either.

Anyway.

Zelgadiss strode silently to the general's office, wondering what he might want - not that he really cared. Probably just another, 'little matter to be taken care of' thing.

He knocked solidly on the door.

"Who is it?" bellowed a loud voice.

"Greydwers, general."

"Mm. Come in."

Zel entered the room with a small gesture of salute, and moved to stand in front of the large wooden desk in the center of the room.

"I received message on your request to see me, General Shabranigdo."

Shabranigdo nodded slowly. "Yes... There is a serious matter I'd like to raise, concerning a small group of rebels."

Zelgadiss sighed inwardly. It was another 'job to be taken care of'. But he remained still.

"I see. And you would like me to rid of them?"

The general looked thoughtful. "Actually, no." He ignored the surprised expression. "I'd like you to investigate further into this group. I've heard that they indeed are powerful, small number that they are, and they could be of great assistance to the Japanese government."

Zel narrowed his eyes. "So, you are asking me to capture the rebels, and not to make any advance in killing or destroying them?"

Shabranigdo leaned forward, and rested his chin on a palm. "With the exception of killing any minors that get in your way, that is.... Here." He tossed a brown envelope on the desk, which immediately reached Zelgadiss' fingers. "This is a basic profile of the information we have collected so far on them, which isn't actually very much."

Zel opened the envelope and began to leaf through the papers.

"But something we do know, Greydwers; there is a meeting tonight at midnight at the shrine of the sea goddess in Sailune."

"Sailune, sir?"

"Is it a problem?"

Aside from the fact that I've never been there, "No."

"Then I expect you to be there tonight."

Zelgadiss nodded and turned to the door.

"Greydwers?"

"Yessir?"

"I take it you won't need any men to accompany you."

Zel opened the door. "No," he replied with a touch of irritation.


L-sama, he thought. Of course I won't need any men. This is a piece of cake. All I have to do arrest all the bloody rebels. So, I'll fireball them all, and bring back their unconscious bodies? That would work.

But then, the general HAD said that they were powerful, and worthy of joining the Japanese militia too. Was it going to be so easy after all? He wondered. He shook away his doubts.

It was going to be a piece of cake, he thought again.


"Val, put that down!"

Lina angrily marched toward the playful four year old, and grabbed the spatula from his hand. "How many times do I have to tell you not to wander around the place?! Especially the kitchen, it's dangerous in here!"

She placed the spatula back onto the bench and picked up the giggling child at the waist, striding out of the kitchen.

"Why does Filia always have to leave you with me?" she grumbled to Val, not that he could comprehend the redhead's words. "I've already got a restaurant to run, and her calligraphy class can't demand that MUCH attention..."

Actually, the calligraphy class was doing well, and the restaurant barely had customers during teaching hours, so of course Filia turned to her. She gently set Val out in the garden. "Don't go anywhere," she warned half in mock irritation.

She sighed exasperatedly, returning to the restaurant connected with her home. She had received message earlier that morning that at midnight tonight, she was to meet with Philiolel and Amelia, the leaders of the White Flower Society. (see notes 1). Yes, they were living in a time of corruption and turmoil, so they had formed the rebellious group to fight against it. However, world peace wasn't exactly the utmost matter in Lina's mind. She wanted to destroy the government, but a reason other than their corruption.

Ten years ago, when Lina was about six years old, she had lived with her older sister Luna, seventeen years. They lived contentedly together, even if they were orphaned at an early age. One day, however, a group of men, soldiers rushed into their home, burned it down, then raped and killed her sister. Lina saw all this happen from beneath the bushes in the garden. It was Philiolel who reached under the leaves and found her crying. He took her home, and raised her with his own daughter Amelia. Her new adopted father encouraged her to forget all that she had seen, and she tried to, she really did. But the memories wouldn't leave her mind or dreams - it was as if her sister was asking her to avenge her. As a result, Lina decided to learn martial arts and to destroy the Japanese government along with it's emperor.

Now, Lina Inverse (she had kept her original surname) was an accomplished ninja, through much sweat and blood, whose expertise was in the uses of poison and magical force. Her powers were extraordinary for a ninja, even if she had only studied the art for nine years. Even her master was amazed at her abilities. She was quick, and her sense of aim was excellent. She had worked to become this, and together with the White Flower Society, she would overthrow the militia in order to avenge her sister.

Lina was depressed again, remembering all these thoughts and increased her walking pace. As she reached the restaurant, she noticed someone already standing near the entrance, shutting the door. She quickly rushed to the customer, and bowing in greeting, she led him to a nearby table.

As she waited on him, she sneaked a good look at her customer. He was dressed rather casually, though his clothing revealed the curves of his muscular, yet lean body. His hair was violet, and softly touched his neck. A tuft of hair leaned over one eye, causing the other sapphire to appear all the more unique.

"Excuse me, miss?"

She shook her head slightly. "Gomen, gomen..."

He raised his eyebrows, and pointed to a wooden plaque on the wall. "I'd like that, please?"

She nodded hastily and left for the kitchen.

Zelgadiss leaned back on his chair, relaxing comfortably. He wasn't hungry (he never was). To tell the truth, he was a little lost. He had come in to ask directions of the shrine. But then, he had come in, and all of a sudden, a girl ran up to him and led him to a table. She had looked so flustered, he thought it would've been rude to protest.

But as soon as she comes back, he thought, I'll ask. Suddenly a little toddler rushed out from behind a door running playfully around the small restaurant. He saw Zelgadiss and trotted over to him giggling. He tugged lightly on Zel's pants, and looked up, smiling widely. Zel nearly smiled as he picked up the green haired child, and set him on his lap. Val began to frown as soon as he was seated comfortably, and began to beat on Zel's stomach.

Lina suddenly appeared in the doorway, holding a bowl of soup.

"L-sama," she muttered under her breath, and hurried over to the table, setting the bowl down. She looked apologetically at her customer and pulled Val off his lap and set him on the floor. Val, happy to be free again, ran out of the room.

"Sorry about that," she murmured sheepishly, "he's very ...frisky."

Zelgadiss shook his head, and picked up the dish. "He's your son, I presume? He takes after you."

She narrowed her eyes. "He's my friend's son," she replied bluntly. Was this idiot saying she was acting like Val, or what?

He looked at her from the corner of his eye. Why did she seem to be irritated? He was trying to compliment them both being ... cute. Oh well.

"Oh... By the way, miss could you tell me where um, the shrine in Sailune is?"

She relaxed visibly. "There are several shrines in the city. Which one do you refer to?"

"Sea goddess?"

She looked taken aback. Was it a coincidence that this stranger was looking for the same shrine they were using for a meeting place? "Are you a new comer to Sailune?" she asked.

"...Ye...s..."

Must be just a coincidence. "Well, the one I know of is by the beach, to the left of the Torii."

"Beach?"

"Well, when you leave here, just keep left on the road, and you'll see it. You can't miss it."

"Thanks a lot." He finished his bowl of soup and set down the bowl along with a few coins for payment. Lina bowed in polite gratitude.

He looked around. "Is this place always so empty?"

She folded her arms, resisting the urge to fireball her customer. I hope he isn't dissing my cooking. "Usually, people come into eat at MEALTIMES," she retorted.

"Kinda surprising," he commented, not noticing her irritation. "I would have thought with the cooking here, that this place would always be full."

He stood up, and headed for the door. "Thanks again."

And he exited the small place, leaving her standing with a blush covering her face.

Val ran back into the restaurant again, and suddenly collided into Lina's apron, causing her to break out of her stare after the door. She shook her head, and blinked. She smiled down at Val, and he reached for her hand. She picked him up, and carried him back to her connecting home.


Notes

[1] Taken from the name, Red Flower Society. An ancient group of rebels in China during the Han Dynasty. They were against the emperor, and were among the best fighters and martial artists of their time.


Part 2   |   Fanfiction