Part 6


Xellos set his report on the table. As Shabranigdo quickly flipped through it, Xellos quietly awaited any further orders.

In fact, Xellos said happily to himself, I'm expecting a VERY particular order...

"Good, Xellos. In fact, this appears even more thorough than Zelgadiss Graywords'."

"Thank you," the mazoku saluted. Compliments done, he thought. Now, command me... to join Zelgadiss in Sailune.


"We aren't like that, Filia!! How many times do I have to tell you that!"

Filia narrowed her eyes. "Then what were you two doing last time when I came to get my mace?"

"Nothing!!" Lina groaned. "We were just kidding around."

"Valgarv, put that down. Now," Filia scolded taking the vase from him. She took a moment to replace before glaring at Lina again. "He..." she said in disgust, "was on top of you."

"And doing what?! Nothing. Filia," she pleaded, "what have you got against him anyway? It's not like he knows anything about the sect or our identities."

"But what if he's with the government? You don't even know what he does for a living, dammit."

"I know he's not with the government, and anyway, not like I would tell him anything. What's wrong with you, Filia?! Are you... jealous?"

Filia stared at her wide-eyed. "What the hell? Jealous of WHAT!?"

It was at that moment that Zelgadiss walked into the restaurant. "Lina?" he called.

Both women looked his way at the sound of the voice, one in surprise, the other in anger.

"H-hello Zel...gadiss," Lina managed. "What brings you here?"

"Yes, Zelgadiss Graywords," Filia hissed in a much different tone. "What brings you here?"

The chimera took off his coat and shrugged, smiling slightly. "Did I come at a bad time?"

"As a matter of fact, Yes, you did. Lina and I were discussing something quite private before you came in, and maybe it would be great for you to leave us alo -- "

Lina clamped her hand over her the dragon's mouth. "Zel..gadiss, why don't you wait outside a moment?"

"... Are you sure? I can come another time if you like."

Filia pushed away Lina's hand. "Yes, I think you should -- "

"Wait outside," Lina finished.

Zel shrugged. "Okay..."

Lina and Filia watched the "source of their argument" step out the door and shut it behind him.

"Filia -- "

"Forget it, Lina Inverse!! I'm only trying to give you advice, and you're refusing it. You're defending him, and I know you'll regret it someday."

"But Filia... I..." The redhead couldn't think how to finish. She silently watched her best friend pick up her giggling child, and roll the shut behind her. Hard.

...

...

...

...

The sound of the door sliding back open was heard.

"May I come in?"

The vase that Val-chan was playfully hugging, was hurled across the room. And missed Zel by only inches.

"Lina?"

She said nothing in return.

"...(umm).... Do you... want some rice-balls? I just came from down the street, and found some vendor selling them. They tasted nice, and I thought you might like some...So, I bought a few. ^^`"

Lina looked at him strangely for a moment, before she slowly nodded. "I guess... I am kinda hungry," she smiled.

Zelgadiss sighed inwardly, and hopped over the broken glass to Lina.


Part 7   |   Fanfiction