A Cute Little Nightmare


Lina bent and tasted the broth she had scooped from the stewpot. It needed just a teensy bit more pepper... so she took the pepper mill and ground a few. Mixing the stew again and tasting it, she smiled in satisfaction, seeing as it was perfect.

The doorchimes rang. "Dear, could you go see who that is?" Lina asked.

"Hai, Mama-chan!!" sang a high silvery voice. The pitter and patter of tiny feet was heard as the owner of the voice ran to get the door. The chimes rang again, just before Lina heard the door unlock.

"Otosan!! Waiiii!" the little girl cried, and was trailed by a grunt and chuckle.

"Lian-chan! How many times have I told you not to pounce on people when you open the door?" a laughing male voice chided.

"Oh, but I knew it was you, Daddy!" Lian replied, laughing.

"Mmmm... but what if it was your Neechan, Lixa?" Daddy said. "What would you do then?"

The littlep girl laughed. "That is a secret!" she piped.

Lina turned as her husband and daughter came into the kitchen. Lian jumped from her father's arms and ran to her mother, who bent and tousled the little girl's fiery curls. "Go and check on your baby brother Zel for me, hmmm?" "Okay!" Lian's bright ruby eyes danced with glee as she scampered off. "She's almost as energetic as you are, dear." Daddy said, setting his briefcase on the counter.

"Was I ever that bad?" Lina asked as she stepped into his embrace and tipped her face up for a kiss. Then she stroked his shoulder length straight purple hair.

"Well..." Xerross cocked his head as though thinking about it. He laughed when Lina pinched him through his business suit. He bent and kissed her again.

"How was your day at the office, love?" Lina asked, gazing up into his hidden eyes, eyes that seemed always to be squinched up in laughter.

Xerross made a face. "The usual." He heaved an annoyed sigh. "The firm wants another hostile takeover, and frankly, I don't want another. I mean, I don't need any more companies." He grumped.

Lina smiled at him coyly. "Well, if you feel up to it... I'll help take your mind off your troubles... later...."

To her delight, Xerross opened his eyes, revealing his alluring amethyst irises. They danced with mischief as he bent and grinned at her. "As if I could ever get tired of you..." He bent and nipped at her ear, making her giggle as he pulled her against him.

"Mama-chan! I'm home!" rang out another girlish voice. The two separated a little to greet their eldest child. Lixa, Lina thought, looks, acts and sounds like Neechan. Indeed, their eldest daughter was practically a carbon copy of her aunt, Luna. Unlike Luna, however, Lixa's bright sapphire eyes were easy to see, and were shaped like her father's when he opened his eyes, slanting exotically and making her look positively elfin.

"Hi, dad!" Lixa greeted, standing on tiptoe to kiss her father on the cheek. "Home early." She noted.

"Yep. Had enough of the rat race for one day. Studying hard in school, I hope, young lady." Xerross replied.

"Natch. Aced my exams. Filia, Valtierra, and Dynast want me to go with them to see a movie. Can I?"

"After you finish your homework and after dinner." Lina told her.

"Got no homework. Finished it all in study period. Phibby's treating us all out for dinner at the mall. Can I skip dinner for once?"

Xerross looked at Lina, who shrugged and nodded. "You're young. Go out and have fun, sweetling."

"Thanx, Ma, Dad." Lixa kissed them both before grabbing her schoolbag and disappearing upstairs.

Just then, Lian came back in, carrying a sleepy-eyed, tousle-haired baby Zelgadiss. "His nappies are wet." Lian reported solemnly.

Xerross bent and relieved her of her burden. "I'll take care of it, love." He told his wife with a smile. He kissed his only son and wondered at the shaggy mop of blue hair that covered one blue eye. Lina grinned in thanks and kissed him again. Snagging his briefcase en route, Xerross climbed up the stairs and into the master's bedroom....


"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" Lina woke with a start, clutching at her chest and gasping, soaked in cold sweat. "L-sama! That was some nightmare!" she breathed, running her hand through her long red hair. Already the last wisps of the dream were fading away... something about being married... with children... to Xerross?! "The day I marry that jerk is the day I lose my mind!" Lina swore. Punching her pillow a few times to make herself feel better, Lina Inverse snuggled back down into the coverlets and closed her eyes.


In the next bedroom, Xerross gazed up at the ceiling. "I don't know, Lina-chan..." he mused softly. "That would be a dream come true." He grinned at his own joke. With a smile on his lips, he closed his lavender eyes and wrapped the blankets around himself....


Fanfiction