Part One: In Which Large Amounts of Food is Consumed


Author's Prologue

Shira: Buenos dias, minna! Here it is, at long last my Lina/Gourry 'fic! It's about time someone put those two in the limelight.

Gourry & Lina: (look at each other, scared) What are you going to do to us?!

Shira: (evil chuckle) Oh, you'll see! And what I'm going to do to Zelgadis will be particularly entertaining.

Zelgadis: O.o;;

Lina: We never should've let her use the computer.

Gourry: Yeah, no kidding!

Shira: Quiet, blondie, or I'll let my friend write that Prince Phil/Gourry fic she threatened me with!

Gourry: (turns several shades of green and shuts up)

Shira: Now, onto Part One!

Zelgadis: (sweatdrops) So it begins.


Breakfast time is never a quiet time, as long as you have Lina Inverse traveling with you. Or so Zelgadis had discovered with the red-haired sorceress. In fact, her sword swinging, air headed companion Gourry wasn't much better.

They were both seated at the table, shoveling food down their throats at an alarming rate. Then came the controversy: both Lina and Gourry reached for the last slice of ham at the same time.

Lina glared at him. "Hands off, Gourry! This is MY food!"

"No way!" Gourry shouted. "Besides, you could afford to lose some weight!"

Lina gave Gourry a Death LookT, grabbed him by the collar, and turned crimson in rage. "Are you calling me FAT?!"

"Yeah, I am." Gourry continued calmly. "And if you keep eating like that, you'll bust everywhere except, heh, your bust!"

That was the last straw. Lina clenched her teeth. "Crimson fire burning bright, gather in my hands and give me power." She grinned at Gourry, who was starting to regret his previous comments. "FireBALL!"

Zelgadis hastily threw up a shield to protect himself from the brunt of her attack. The smoke finally cleared, revealing the ruined remains of an inn, and Lina grinning triumphantly.

Gourry emerged from a pile of rubble rubbing his head tenderly. "Ouch, Lina, that hurt!"

"At least you didn't hurt anything important." She said smugly.

"That's true." Gourry agreed.

Zelgadis groaned and rested his face in his hands. "Every morning."


The three wandered down the dirt road briskly, when Gourry stopped Lina.

"Lina, where exactly are we going?" He asked intelligently.

Lina hit him on the head. "I've told you a thousand times already! We're going to the Poison Fang's hideout to get a lead on Zelgadis' cure!"

"Poison Fangs?" He asked with a vacant look.

Lina rolled her eyes and gave an exasperated sigh. "Only the most well-known bandit gang in the world! If anyone can give us a lead, they can!"

Zelgadis sighed. "Can we just get going?"

Lina nodded and the three continued down the tree-covered path.

Violet eyes twinkled from a branch above the three travelers. The mazuko residing in them leapt down and landed in front of the startled group.

"Well, it seems as if you are off again on one of your little journeys!" He said from behind a suspicious smile.

Lina gritted her teeth and glared at the mazuko. Xellos merely laughed and planted a firm kiss right on the sorceress' mouth. Lina flew back a few steps, flustered, and Gourry managed to catch her before she lost her balance and fell.

The blond narrowed his eyes at the mazuko. There were very few things he was sure about, but he knew that he didn't like Xellos one bit. He didn't like the way he always popped up whenever it was convenient for him. He liked the way he treated Lina even less.

Zelgadis looked ready to slit his throat at any second. He hated Xellos, possibly more so than he had hated Rezo. And now, after all he had put them through, he had the gall to show his face in front of them?

"What do you want, Xellos?" Zelgadis demanded from behind gritted teeth.

Xellos blinked innocently. "Who, me? I simply wish to travel with you! I know the way better than any of you, and besides - "

"We can do it on our own, thanks." Lina interrupted coldly. "And we aren't stupid enough you know. We're not about to let you travel with us, especially after all the grief you've put us through."

Xellos laughed. "Very well, then, the choice is yours to make."

Gourry narrowed his eyes further. "Why are you letting us off so easy?" He may not be too bright, but he did manage to catch on every once in awhile.

Xellos winked at him. "Sore wa, himitsu desu!" With that, he vanished as quickly as he had appeared.

Lina shook her head and picked herself up from Gourry's arms. "Well, obviously we're on the right track."

Gourry scratched his head. "What makes you say that?"

Lina took a deep breath. She wasn't going to kill him, she wasn't going to kill him. "Because if Xellos wanted to use us again, we were obviously headed in the right direction. He seems to know what he's doing before he manipulates us, and apparently we're close to something he wants."

Zelgadis nodded. "Like my cure."

Lina shook her head. "No, I don't think he's after your cure. It seems that he's after something else, but I'm not sure what." She looked up at Zelgadis. "But something like that, yeah."

Gourry blinked. "So, are we still going to the Poison Gangs or what?"

Lina couldn't resist. She smacked him on the head. "That's Poison FANGS, you yogurt brain!"

Zelgadis shook his head. Why did he even try to hold an intelligent conversation with those two? Every once in awhile, when he was alone with Lina, it was possible. But for some reason, whenever Gourry was in the room she was distracted. He shrugged. "Let's get going, you two. I'd like to get there before Xellos."

The two stopped beating on each other (or rather, Lina stopped beating on Gourry) and followed the chimera down the winding dirt road.


Author's Epilogue

Zelgadis: (shrug) That wasn't so bad. You didn't do anything to me.

Shira: (grin) YET! Don't worry, hon, I will!

Xellos: (appears) Yes, indeed she will!

Lina: And how would YOU know?!

Xellos: (laughs) Sore wa himitsu desu!

Shira: (smirks at Xellos) Read ahead?

Xellos: (sheepishly) Yeah.

Lina, Zelgadis and Gourry: (sweatdrop)

Shira: You may have noticed that I have not included a certain princess or air-headed idiot (Not Gourry, the other one) in this story. I may include

Amelia sometime in the series, but I'd prefer to pretend that Sylpheel never existed, thank you very much.

Lina: (bats eyelashes, impersonating Sylpheel) Oh, Gourry dear.. Gourry: What's wrong with Sylpheel?! She's the greatest cook in the world!

Lina: Yeah, she also happens to be an air head!

Gourry: Well, she's a better cook than you!

Lina: Oh yeah?

Gourry: Yeah!

(Lina and Gourry jump on top of each other, punching, kicking, and generally hurting each other.)

Zelgadis: (sweatdrops) I'd better turn this thing off before it gets too graphic. (clicks off the monitor)


Part 2   |   Fanfiction