Part 6


The clink and whoosh of billiard balls greeted Rezo at the door of the gaming room. He paused, watching, as the two eldest sent the brightly-colored spheres spinning and ricocheting off green felt. He knew his relationship with them was odd, to say the least. Stepfather to one, grandfather to the other, father to both ... strange indeed.

"Zelros, Xeadis, it's time to go."

Neither even bothered to look up, just continuing to rack up points. Zelros snarled, sounding more than a little annoyed. "I don't see why we have to come."

"Because, younger brother, Mother has a 'surprise' for us. Something to do with who we were, I believe." Xeadis leaned over, carefully eying his shot. A quick twist of his wrist, and the ball was spinning off to it's destination ... Zelros's head.

"What was that for?!" Zelros winced as he rubbed the spot where the ball hit.

"Doesn't it have your curiosity up at all? To find out who we were, so long ago?"

"And what if we want to kill ourselves again? Did you think about that, elder brother?"

Xeadis sighed, leaning against the pool table, arms crossed, pool cue dangling from one hand. "I don't know about you, but I'm beginning to wonder what could drive us to such desperate extremes .... and how to avoid it happening again."

Xeadis glanced at Rezo, then grinned at his twin. "Forewarned is forearmed, and I'm not talking about the need extra sleeves on your coat type."

"All right, all right. Let's go."


Firia sighed in exasperation as Lina raced on up ahead to look at one of the other booths. Luna had taken over their spun glass booth so that they could go festival-walking and take in the sights ... and the competition. Lina came charging back with a scornful snort, beckoning Firia to lean down so she could whisper in the taller woman's ear.

"They're charging almost twice as much as we are for worse quality! It'll be a shoo-in to beat them in the competition. And none of the other comes anywhere near as good as our own wares!" Lina grinned from ear to ear, thinking about how much they would earn this year. She would be able to buy plenty of paints! Firia tapped Lina's shoulder to get her attention.

"Hmm? ... Oh, it has been that long already?"

Firia nodded.

"Then we definitely need to check up on Val and Luna."

They quickly made their way through the crowds, dodging people with the ease of long practice. The next half-hour passed peacefully, both of them playing with little Valtiera, and chatting with Luna when she could come into the back of the store.

Across the street and utterly bored, a little girl with bright orange hair scurried off in search of her mother.


"Mama! Mama!" Zelas was nearly knocked over by the exuberance of her youngest as the little girl ran to give her a hug. Zelas smiled fondly at little Mala, ruffling her orange hair. "I found them! They run a shop with lotsa pretty things, but the lady t here said I couldn't touch any 'cause they might break an' there was a little boy an' she gave me candy an' lotsa juice an' she let me play with some toys-"

"Hush now, Mama needs to think. Your brothers will be arriving at any time now, so be quiet. Ok, little one?" Zelas smiled at her daughter, looking up to see the other four come running. Each of them carried something in their arms. "You got them?"

"Yes Mama."

"Uh-huh."

"Yup."

"Yo!"

"Good. Mara, you have the north. Maya, you have the south. Dreskin, you have the east, and Bala, you have the west. Wait until all are in position before erecting the gaurd-seal. Mala-honey, I need you to lead me to the shop, all right?"

"I can do it!"

"Good girl. Everyone know what to do? Fine, let's go." And the family split, racing along the alleys of Zephilia, their goals firmly set.


Part 7   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction