Part 8


Lina giggled, feeling a little tipsy as she held her cup out for another refill. Luna oblidgingly re-filled the the cup. They were celebrating their success at the spun glass competition today, and that they had made it into the semi-finals. Rain splattered on the window with increasing fierceness.

"Thhh ... They 'ever 'ew what hic hit 'em!" Lina chortled, waving airily to indicate the other glass-makers that had entered the competition. Luna shook her head, still amazed at how much alcohol her little sister had learned to put away. Little Lina was almost on par with that Nahga woman Luna had met once .... and from the way Nahga had raved on, Lina had learned how to drink from Nahga.

A polite knock on the door got both their attention, although Lina's quickly went back to her wine glass. Luna stood, and opened the door, revealing Zelas and most of her family. Zelas smiled, and reached over to give Luna a hug. "It's good to see you again, Luna."

"As good as it is to see you again, old friend." Luna returned the hug as everyone else tromped inside and began hanging up their rain-soaked cloaks. "Well, now, don't just stand here, introduce Lina and I to everyone."

A resounding thud of a chair hitting the floor behind Luna cut sharply through the chatter of introductions. Lina stood, wine glass forgotten on the floor, the chair on it's back behind her, her eyes wide as she stared at one of Zelas's sons.

"Zelgadis ...?" Lina's harsh whisper echoed oddly, almost reverntly.


Her hair was just as red as he remembered it. Red as flame, as vibrant as a rose, sparking and rustling with life. But her gem-bright eyes had darkened, sorrow taken place behind them.

But this was the first time Zelros had met her!

He remembered a dance, her in his arms ... the only time he had been able to dance with her, the only time he had ever danced, at the ball in honor of Prince Philionel's finally taking his rightful place upon the Seyruun throne ...

That couldn't have happened! He was only seventy-eight, and that had happened over a hundred years ago!

Wave upon wave of memory assailed Zelros, flooding him with emotions too tangled and vibrant to understand at once. And the cause of these memories, eyes wide and bright with tears, stared mutely at him from across the room, trembling steps taking her slowly closer to him.

Again she whispered, the name cutting into his heart like a knife. "Zelgadis .... "

The way he had looked flashed briefly across his mind's eye, and he could understand her shock. While his features had only changed slightly, causing the originally faint resemblence between Zelgadis and Xeros to grow stronger, much else had changed completely. He was taller, even as his brother was now shorter than he had been. Both of them had pointed ears, and pale blue skin. Their hair was only two shades different, much lighter, and much darker, than eithers had been to begin with.

"Lina ... " Zelros's voice was equally soft, hesitant. But it was the final key, and Lina was in his arms, clinging and crying, while at the same time berating him for leaving her alone for so long. "I'm sorry Lina ... I'm sorry, love ... hush, it'll be all right."

Lina pulled back slightly to stare into his eyes, hardly believing that he was here, holding her like she had longed for him to do for so long. Her hand trembled as she reached up to run her fingers along his cheek. "Why?"

"You were to marry the prince. I couldn't live without you anymore, I loved - love you so much."

"You never said anything ... I had given up hope that you ever felt as I did. I needed you so much, and suddenly, you were gone."

"Could a monster ever hope a lady might love him?" Zelros's voice was solemn, his eyes serious and filled with an old pain. Lina's eyes widened in sudden comprehension. And then a sly twinkle, much like there used to be in her eyes, appeared. "You never were a monster to me, Zelgadis Greywers."

A smile, almost blinding in it's happiness, spread across his features. He placed a finger on her lips, a silent gesture of affection. "My name is Zelros now."

"You're still my Zel." Lina said firmly, standing on tiptoe while pulling his head down to kiss him firmly. His arms tightened their grip and lifted her off the floor, easing the strain in their necks without breaking off their kiss. The cheers from their families eventually broke through their haze of pleasure. Blushing, they turned their heads to look at their relatives, though Zel didn't let Lina go. Chattering happily, the two families surrounded the glowing couple, offering congratulatory advice. Xeadis's voice cut through all of that like a hot knife through butter, dripping with amusement. "Well, well. I leave you alone for just a few minutes, and you've got a woman in your arms."


Part 9   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction