Part 2


Firia gave a contented purr as she snuggled closer to Xeadis, tucking her head under his chin. She could hear his chuckle rumble through his chest as he tucked her arms around his waist, his breath ruffling her hair lightly. His wings rustled as he gently laid one over them both, cocooning them in fluffy warmth. It was times like these, just the two of them, safe, in that Firia could find her voice again.

"Love you."

"I love you too, selfish dragon."

That comment earned him a punch in the shoulder. And a nip on the neck. And her hands wandering somewhere lower.

"Gods, woman! You're insatiable."

"You mind?"

"No ... whoooo ... definitely not!"


Zel paused in stirring the rice for dinner. "Do you think we should tell them it's dinnertime?"

Lina looked up from where she was cutting the meat for the stir-fry. "Do you like it when they interrupt us? ... That's something I'm looking forward to being able to do again."

Lina gave a startled yip when Zelros nipped the back of her neck, then settled down to nibbling his way to her lips for a brief kiss. "What, you don't like a helping hand?"

"At this point, I'd much prefer the full oo job ... something I can tell you're looking forward to as well ..."

"Tease."

An uncomfortable look passed over Lina's face, her stomach visibly moving as the baby kicked. "Well now, somebody can recognize daddy is being a pain in the neck."

"Or that mommy is being a tease?"

"Oh hush."

Lina smiled as Zel gently rubbed her stomach, a look of quiet wonder on his face. There were times when they would just spend time in bed, her reading, him listening to their child ... there were times when she really envied him his sharp hearing, hearing that allowed him to hear their child's heartbeat. Though sometimes he would swear he heard more than one ...

"Are you sure you heard more than one heartbeat?"

Zel looked up at her, his eyes serious. "I can't tell for sure ... your own heartbeat masks a lot of our daughter's sounds.

"What if we do ... have more than one, I mean."

"We'll take it as we always do, plan for the future, take each day as it comes, and hope for the best."


"All right, do we have everything?"

"Yes mom."

"Let's go! It's been far too long since Zel visited the rest of his family."


Part 3   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction