Part 3


Rain hammering at the window
Rain tapping on the roof
My soul at peace and quite content
While the Sun's being aloof
When warm and snug inside
The soothing sound of falling rain
Soft as a baby's breath
Washes away the past's pain

Lina was bored.

Zelros was hard at work in the shop, making the basic china containers, cups, pitchers, and plates that Lina would later paint with various patterns and designs before their final firing in the kiln. But right now, there weren't any blanks for her to paint.

It was raining, and Lina was bored.

Firia was off tending the garden, most likely humming to herself as she worked. She claimed working there calmed her down, and was enjoyable. While Lina couldn't agree, she could see that it was truely relaxing for Firia. Why she liked to work out there in this weather, Lina had absolutely no idea.

It was raining hard, and Lina was bored.

Xeadis was off hunting, getting the meat for dinner. This was a chore he especially enjoyed in this type of weather, and since no one else did, he got it every time. When he got back, there would be the work to prepare dinner, cutting of meat and vegetables and the like. But it would be at least an hour more before Xeadis returned, soaking wet and with meat for the pot.

It was getting on into evening, raining hard, and Lina was bored.

Firia was upstairs, working on the nursery, which had only been added on a few days ago. The room was still being constructed within. While the outside walls and roof were secure, the inside was just plain plaster and bare wood. There was plenty to do there, but all of it hard work and Lina was among the first to admit she couldn't do that now. Not when over eight months pregnant.

It was getting on into evening, raining hard, Lina was bored, and there was nothing for her to do.

This was not a good thing.

Which is why the knock on the door, whoever it could be, was a good thing. Even if it was Shabranigdo looking to borrow a cup of sugar or L-Sama dressed in drag as the pope and singing hymns to the village idiot. With a grunt, Lina hoisted her ungainly self off the window seat overlooking the garden and headed for the front door. Blue eyes greeted her when she opened the peep-window in the door. "Who's there?"

"Usagi Greywers. Is my brother home?"


Part 4   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction