Part 10


<<That's bad, isn't it.>> Lina's words were less of a question, more a statement, as she watched the rift visible in the Astral plane from a safe distance perched upon a floating hunk of rock. The rift looked nothing less than like a rip in a piece of fabric, but this fabric happened to be the very stuff of the Astral plane. And what lay between the edges of the rip was the two sides of Ryoko, blurring and melding, being pulled apart and slowly loosing themselves as they tried to hold the rift together on some primal level of their existance.

Zel swooped up, his wings beating in a steady beat as he landed beside Lina. <<Quite bad. If she keeps trying to fix the gap with herself, it's going to kill her body, then her.>> His wings folded in towards his body, one of them unconsciously curving protectively around Lina. A few seconds later, a rock hit his wing where her head had been moments before.

<<Um, Zel, how did you know that rock was coming?>>

Zel blinked in surprise, his wings tucked close to his back now. <<What rock?>>

<<The one you deflected with your wing.>>

<< . . . So that's what that was. Sorry, I wasn't paying much attention.>> He gestured towards the rift. <<Any ideas as to how we can get her out of there?>>

<<Other than diving in ourselves and pulling her out? No.>> Lina shuddered, wrapping her arms around herself. Zelgadis's face went grim, his eyes lost in thought. <<It seems that's what we'll have to do.


This was painful. Very painful. While he had no idea how he had man aged to screw the gate up this much, or heck, how he even opened the thing, he k new that he was now trapped inside of it. And so were six others.

That was the puzzling part.

He knew that the explosion and resulting rift gate had originated in his lab , but he had no idea how it had snagged what seemed to be quite a collection of othe rs, including his twin sister. And it seemed that one end of the rif t gate was being stabilized in preperation of being closed. As he and the others were dragged towards it, he quickly realized that 'painful' had been a rather mild word to describe what he felt.


It was both more and less than Lina expected. She had expected chaos, mind-numbing pain and pleasure at once, to feel pulled between worlds. That was there. What she had not expected was to feel vaguely nauseated, slightly dizzy, a faintly fuzzy feeling all over her skin, and for the work of stabilizing the rift to be so monotonous. The work itself was a mix of complex and simple. A pattern of motion, repeated over and over, gradually becoming more complex, a series of words repeated over and over again. She could feel the warmth of Zel's power not far away from her, moving as closely to the way she was as possible. And around them, being slowly drawn from the raw energy of the rift, was Ryoko.


She was trapped. She had to keep the rift closed, or something bad would come through. If the voices would be quiet she would be able to close the rift entirely, but they wouldn't be quiet! They pestered her until all she could do was answer them ...

You never told him Never told him anything, did you

She had nothing she wanted to tell him .... didn't she?

He is your enemy
You love him You've always loved him You always will love him

No! You die! I love Tenchi!
Foolish child
caught in your foolish dreams of denial!
You cannot slay us
Give us his name
give it to us!

Anger and rage flashed through her. What right had they to demand such things?!

We are you You are us
Who are you

Do you even know you
would you know you if you passed yourself on the street?
Give us his name
I am me! I am Ryoko! I love Tenchi!

Yes
You do love Tenchi
But your love for Tenchi stems from a deeper love

a love you deny!

I'm not denying anything!

Oh?
Then what about Washu isn't she your mother?

She's not my mother!

Then what is she

A stranger
But she isn't just a stranger, isn't she While made
not born
she is your creator, your mother
she simply never was allowed to raise you
Kagato interfered with that

I . . . know.

Is she your mother
can you give her that title?
Or will you break her heart again and deny her

. . . .

have no answer, do you?

Washu . . . is my mother.

Feel better now?

there is more that must be done!
Haven't you been through enough, both of you? You will need him if you are to survive
you will need each other
Tell him how you feel
Give us his name, or admit it to yourself
. . . . No.

Not yet.
will not survive
I will survive. I cannot let him be harmed. Him or . . .
Tenchi
Aeyka
Sasami
Mihoshi
But what of the newcomers Will you protect them as well
I will protect all of my friends . . . . .
protect them as well?
I will.
It is time Time for you to wake up
WAKE UP
(Ryoko)
What are you talking about?

I am awake . . . Aren't I?
(Ryoko dear, please, wake up!)

I'm awake . . .

(Ryoko?)

Mom . . .?

Part 11   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction