Part 15


Zel blinked, his eyes slowly coming into focus. Shards of broken ... glass? lay around him, as well as a thick, green, warm fluid, and various wires and things he had no name for. His back felt odd, as if there was more of it than he was used to. A fluttering movement seen from the corner of his eye caught his attention. Was that a wing? Whose was it? Was it his?

Red hair. Someone with red hair was sitting up beside whatever thing he was laying on was. Zel smiled, then stared in surprise. "Lina? Why is your skin green?"


Rezo watched Zel and Lina quietly from a corner of the lab. His grandson moved awkwardly, not used to balancing with the wings upon his back. Lina was equally awkward, her new height and figure as new to her as Zel's wings and new skin were to him.

And both Lina and Zel liked the new appearance of the other. Rezo could see that quite clearly, in the shy glances and blushes, but he could also see their fear of rejection. He stood, drawing their attention as he walked over to them. "Perhaps we should reassure everyone that you two are all right?"


It was mass havoc. Everyone mobbed over to see if they were all right. And they had knocked Zel right off the edge of the platform. However, the wings did work, and quite well.

Lina looked up, watching Zel and Firia glide way above the house. He seemed to be enjoying himself immensely. She could only wonder at how he must feel now, how free he must feel, how wonderful it must be to have that new body. She marveled herself, at the new form she now had. It wasn't stacked, like Mihoshi, Washu, or even Amelia, but she thought her figure was just perfect for her body type. It was a wonder, being tall, and it had been wonderful to make Gourry's eyes bug out like that.

But that could have been because of the green skin. It wasn't an unpleasant shade of green, sort of a soft, minty green, very pleasing to the eyes. The big surprise had been the fluffy cat-tail. Lina twitched the tail, watching it idly as it swished across the roof tiles. The soft fur on the tail exactly matched her hair in shade and color. She stretched out on the roof, wearing pretty much an old pair of shorts and one of Mihoshi's tank tops to sunbathe. For the first time in her life, Lina was perfectly happy with herself as she was. It was strange in how the cold weather didn't really bother her.


"Zel, you do need to pay attention to the air currents." Firia commented, watching him flounder again, fighting the wind. "Don't fight the wind, use it."

"Easy for you, you're used to flying." Zel grumbled, his wings straining to keep him aloft.

"Ok, do this. Spread your wings out wide, and hold them there. Steady! Now, you're gliding. Not too hard, now is it?"

"No ... but it does take some concentration." Zel grunted, his wings trembling from the effort need to keep them fully spread. He looked down, trying to figure out how far he was from the ground .... and nearly fell out of the air. Firia caught him halfway to the ground.

"Just what the heck did you do that for?!" Firia sounded extremely upset with him. Zel pointed shakily to Lina on the roof. "Ohh ... I see."


Part 16   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction