Part 22


"I had to ask." Ryoko grumbled, watching Rezo shake the dice in his hand. They had plotted out most of the tasks according to ability, which meant Ryoko was primarily working the bar in the night shift. Right now they were figuring out basic tasks, such as who had to take out the garbage when, and who went to get the cooking supplies, and many other tasks. "I still don't see why I have to help work the bar."

"Oh come on, Ryoko. No one knows drinks like you do." Kagato smirked, writing down the tasks on a large bulletin board. Ryoko stuck out her tongue at him. Rezo hissed, looking at what he rolled. "Well, Ryoko, it seems you've won the ten pm to three am slot at tending the bar. Kagato, I've got the one to six am slot. So how does that work out to?"

Kagato frowned, looking down at the board. "Ok, for the bar, first shift is Yosho's, going from opening at eight overlapping into Ryoko's until one am. Ryoko has the next shift going from ten pm to overlap into Rezo's shift until three am. Rezo starts shift at one, overlapping Ryoko's into my own, which runs from three to eight am. That leave four hours total that don't have two people running shift. Two hours at the beginning, and two at the end."

Rezo looked over to where Tenchi, Firia and Aeyka were discussing gardening techniques. "You three figure out the times the garden is open and who's going to tend it?"

Tenchi nodded, holding up a similiar chart. "I just hope we end up with enough space. I know Washu can make it so that we have enough, but officials are going to notice that the building's insides are larger than the outside."

Sasami rushed into the room, waving the phone excitedly. "Mister Nobuyuki found a perfect spot!"


" .... Gheeze, this is all you could find, Dad?" Tenchi looked over at his father, standing next to him in front of the broken down house that Nobuyuki had found.

Nobuyuki sheepishly rubbed the back of his head. "Well, nothing smaller would had fit the plans the girls had. And this was the only one in the price range."

Washu cracked her knuckles, her expression one of quiet determination. "It'll work just fine. Go ahead and buy it, Nobuyuki. Tell me when you own it and I'll begin construction. Be sure to give me a copy of the construction laws and limitations."


Much midnight oil and precious time was spent within Washu's lab and at the site. Due to Washu's technology, some things could be made smaller, but in the end, about a third of the building had to be allocated to the kitchens, kitchen storage, wine storage, and plant supplies storage. As time wore on, due to lack of sleep, weird even stranger ideas began emerging from the workers.

"What if we put a disco ball in the middle of the restaurant ceiling?"

"Too tacky."

"Would it be too weird to have a tank with some of Washu's fish in the middle of the aviary?"

"Definitely too weird ... but maybe some of the flashier ones."

"What about these here?"

"Those are cannibalistic."

"Well, then what about these?"

"Those are plants."

" ... look like fish to me."

"How many cups of coffee have you had?"

"Lost track after the fifteenth."

"Don't have any more."

" ... mmm ... ok. G'night."

"Oh good grief .... I think this means we all need to get some sleep."

"Huh?"

"He's asleep on the floor."

"Huh?"

"You're brain-dead too?"

"Huh?"

"Hey, take his coffe, will you, Rezo?"

"Huh? .... zzzzzzzzz."

"He's out too, Rezo."

" .... phweee ... ."

"Rezo?"

" ... sknyyxxkpt ..."

"I think it's time we all went to bed."


Part 23   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction