Part 10


"I am not a beast of burden!!" Firia screeched, swinging her mace around and clonking Gourry a good one.

"Of course not. But this is simply the best way to do this. Otherwise, we'll all go through about a week's worth of pain." Elkin's voice was soothing, but firm.

"But why not make multiple trips?" Amelia asked, curious.

"I am not about to go through that much pain for anyone." Elkin's voice had become flat, faintly hostile.

A short shriek heralded Firia's change to dragon form, that and all her clothes ripping off her human form just a second before the transition. Xeros, who happened to be watching her, nearly fell over, his eyes open wide. He shook himself, quickly recovering his grace. However, this had been the first time he had seen her transform from up close, and seeing her 'in all her glory' had been a bit of a shock.

"All right, how are we doing this?" Firia's voice was monotone, resigned.

"Thank you. I can easily carry three, but four is pushing it a little, especially with this group."

"I can carry two light or one heavy."

"So I get Zel - "

"I'm going with him." Lina butted in, standing beside Zel. "And don't try to change my mind."

"Very well Lina. I can carry both Lina and Amelia as well as Zel, and then one more ... Gourry."

"WHAT?! There is NO WAY I am carrying that Namagomi Mazoku!" Firia glowered at Elkin, Xeros, anyone who caught her eye.

"He weighs less than Gourry."

"HE'S A MAZOKU!!"

"No need to scream. I would prefer to get this done and over with before hooters finds her way out of the lake." Elkin began lifting people onto his back, Zel first, then Lina, then Amelia.

"OH HO HO HO HO HO!"

"Oh no ... Get your rear in gear, goldie!" Elkin snatched Gourry, plunked him in place, then took off, leaving Firia with a sulking Mazoku.

"W-wait for me!!" Firia shrieked, well and truely frightened by the abrasive laughter, grabbing Xeros with her foreclaws and taking off in rapid pursuit of Elk in's rapidly dwindling form.


Usagi fretted, re-adjusting Val's straps for the third time. She could visibly see him growing, albeit slowly. "Why is this happening?"

She got no reply as Val continued his pained screaming, tears streaking down his cheeks. More than a little frightened for him, she quickly got the moped back on the road, shifting it into a higher gear than normal in order to get him out of the null zone quicker.


Part 11   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction