Part 2


Titavi sighed, hearing her twin brother swearing up a blue streak underneath the contraption he was working on. "Elkin, how does the list of inheiritance go ... red hair, calm demeanor ... sharp chin, blue eyes ... strange sense of humor ...?"

" ... A temper from hell and the magic to back it up. All the wonderful things we got from grandpa. All the joys of the Akoushi bloodline. It's a pity it has so many genetic errors in it as well." Elkin finished, still underneath the machinery. A series of klonks were followed by more swearing. He slid out from underneath, smeared with black grease and clutching a wrench in each hand, his tail holding onto the lantern he had been using.

Elkin rubbed his face, which only smeared the grease on his hand onto his face. "I wonder where Shortstuff is ... Been a while since we've seen our second brother, eh Sis?"

"Zel hates it when you call him Shortstuff. Yes, it has been a while ... quite a long time. Nearly six, no, seven years now ...." Titavi picked up the teakettle with her tail, being careful to not touch the hot body of the kettle. "More tea, bro?"

"Sure ... " Elkin looked morosely at the floor. "I wonder what he's up to ..."


"LI-naaahh!!!!" Zel, Xeros, Firia, and Amelia winced, rubbing their ears. Valtiera gave a baby snore from where he was curled up in his basket next to Firia. A red/black/blue/magenta blur went tumbling by, on a collision course with the river.

"I wonder what Mr. Gourry did this time ... " Amelia murmured, watching the splash fight now going on in the river. Firia gave the breakfast stew another stir, watching it bubble. She and Xeros actually weren't fighting, for once. Since the trouble last night, the two had an uneasy truce, and were unfailingly polite to each other.

"Someone should tell them that breakfast is ready." Zel said softly, watching the fight below.

"And have them eat it all in three seconds? Don't think so." Xeros began ladleing out bowls of stew, making sure that everyone got some.


Usagi, the door slamming behind her, raced into Elkin's workshop. Elkin and Titavi looked up from their teacups. Before they could speak Usagi held up her hand to stall questions, trying to catch her breath.

"Phew! Mom's calling Zel home! She just told me! The beacon spell is going out right now!"

The trio shared a wide grin, wondering just what their brother would think of the changes that had happened since he was last here.


The family ...                             would be

together

he would be

able to undo

the evil

                            he had done ...


Part 3   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction