Part 3


"Are you sure he can't tell we're here?" Lance fidgeted nervously, staring intently at the viewscreen in front of him. Hunk shrugged. Pidge smiled wryly. "Not completely sure, no. Some energy emissions do escape, despite the best efforts of current technology."

Allura's voice broke in, soft and thougtful. "I wonder what they want with this planet ... it's beautiful."

"It's also not on any of the star charts .... it's almost as if it was deliberately wiped from the system." Keith mused, leaning his chin on his fist.

"Huh .... I wonder why it would be." Pidge mused.

"They're heading in." The voltron force slowly powered up their lions and followed.


"Lina! Just what the heck has gotten into you?!" Zelgadis gritted out between clenched teeth as he glared at his smaller partner. Lina just flipped her long red hair out of her face as she continued work on the amulet before her. A large pile of completed amulets lay beside her. "I need something to do, Zel."

"Why the hell are you doing this now?!" In reply, she flicked the message she had received while he was in the shop into his face. Zel grabbed the paper out of the air, intending to yell at her again when he noticed the writing upon it. "What's this?"

"Something that came while you were still bargaining over that vase with the shopkeeper. It's from Sylpheel."

Now puzzled, Zel began to read the letter out loud.

Dear Lina-chan and Zel-sama,


I hope this letter finds you alive, healthy, and the trouble you are in only ankle-deep. I am writing on behalf of my mother, Sylpheel, to tell you that my father, Gourry, passed away yesterday in his sleep. It was painless and peaceful, as far as we can tell. His will was read this morning, and some things were willed to you both, but not the Sword of Light, if that's what your hoping for, Lina-chan. The Sword of Light was willed to me, to give to my son when he's older. In the items willed to you, Father noted that one of them would be able to help you in your search for a cure to Zel-sama's condition.

We hope you will be able to make it here in time for Father's funeral, which will happen in two day's time. Can you please come? I don't think Mother will last long. I need your help.

Love and tears,                            
Malei Gabriev

Zel's voice trailed off, his hands trembling. He knelt Lina, wrapped his arms around her shoulders as the tears came.


"My lord Lotor, we are entering the planet's atmosphere."

"Continue descent." Lotor leaned back in his chair, staring at the planet's surface, shown quite clearly upon the viewscreen. "I wonder what surprises you have in store for us."


Part 4   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction