Gourry


Zelgadis breathed heavily, a weakness spreading through his veins. It didn't hurt, but at the same time, it was horrifying to feel. The day is just beginning, he told himself, trying to give himself more strength. And Lina must be near by. She...

"Hey, Zel!" A muscular hand clamped down on his shoulder. "Long time, no see!" Gourry finished cheerfully. "How are you?"

"Do you know where L..." That was as far as he got before the former chimera fell to his knees.

"Whoa! Zelgadis, what's wrong?" Gourry asked, confused.

Zel smiled in spite of the situation. "I'm going to miss you, Gourry," he said softly, surprising himself with the truth in his words. "Demo... I need to find Lina..." Zel struggled to rise to his knees.

"Miss me? Where are you going?" the swordsman said with his usual lack of brains.

Tears stung in Zel's purple eyes. With friends like this... why did I ever want more? he thought in wonder. Aloud, he said, "It's a long story, and I doubt you'll understand it all. In short, I have a special gift most people don't have." Zelgadis took a deep breath, steadying himself. "I know when I'm going to die."

Gourry's blue eyes widened as his words sunk in. "Y-you're..." The swordsman blinked a few times, trying to find the proper words. Finally, "When?"

Zel shook his head. "You don't need to know. Before I do, though... I need to talk to Lina. Where is she?"

"She went off that way," Gourry said, pointing to the east. "Lina wanted to bathe in peace." When Zelgadis stood up to leave, he said something to make him stop.

"What?" Zel whispered, half-turning.

"Was it Xellos?"

The Shamanist blinked at the unique way Gourry thought. "How did you know?"

"The purple eyes," the swordsman said innocently.

Zel shook his head, amused. "I think it might have more to do with your sword's missing." Suddenly, he noticed the shadows. The sun was setting... Had he been talking to Gourry longer than he realized? Then it hit him. He had been wandering longer than he thought. That's why he was so incredibly weak...

"Thank you, Gourry," he whispered, turning to leave. "For showing me where Lina is."

"Hey, don't mention it!" the blond said cheerfully. "See ya later!"

Only, Zel thought, depressed, there isn't going to be a later. He waved, and started walking where Gourry said Lina had gone. He had only been walking for a few minutes when he collapsed, too weak to go on.

Lina... Zelgadis thought, frustration making tears come to his amethyst eyes. Hoping she was close enough, he whispered with his last breath:

"Lina... I love you..."


Lina   |   Fanfiction