Chapter 1: What's Going On?!


Notes

I made two versions of this originally, but I decided to finish only this one. Have fun!


It was the sudden fainting spells that gave Lina Inverse the idea that something was wrong.

"Lina-san! We're getting close to the town!"

The sorceress's stomach growled. "Great! I'm starving!" Amelia had enough common sense to get out Lina's way as she took off at speeds that would make Zelgadis jealous.

Lina was racing through the open plains, trying to get to the town (and food!) as soon as possible. Suddenly, her knees gave way from under her, and she slid to the ground. Her face hit the grass, and instantly, her eyes closed. In those three seconds, Lina lost consciousness.


Overwhelming evil...

Strength...

Duty...

"Lina-san!"

Duty...

"Hey, Lina! Open your eyes!"

Birthright...

"Lina!"

Someone's shaking me...

"Oi, Lina. The waitress is here."

FOOOOOD!

"I'm up! I'm up!" Lina opened her ruby eyes to look into the concerned eyes of her three traveling companions and friends. She looked around, then said, "The waitress isn't here. We're not even in an inn! That was playing dirty, Gourry!"

The swordsman looked embarrassed. "It was the only way to wake you up."

"Is anything wrong, Lina?" Zelgadis asked as Gourry helped the petite sorceress up into a sitting position. "That's, what? The third time you've lost consciousness like that?"

Lina looked around the plain, then said, "Yeah. Why do you ask?"

"Lina-san, what's wrong?" Amelia asked, touching the other girl's hand.

"Nothing," Lina said roughly, shaking Amelia's hand off of hers. "I was just weak from no food."

Both Zelgadis and Gourry looked skeptical. Only Amelia said aloud, "But the last time you fainted, it was right after a meal!"

"LOOK HERE!" Lina roared, getting tired of this. "I AM PERFECTLY FINE! NOW LEAVE ME ALONE!!" The redhead stood up, and started stalking off.

Zel cocked an eyebrow at that, and Amelia sighed. Gourry said, "Is it Lina's Time of the Month?"

Lina came back, her head demonic sized. "NO IT IS NOT! NOW LET'S GET GOING!"

It would be sufficient to say that Lina almost didn't allow anyone to get any rest that night until they reached the town, and she had her ten-course dinner.


"Lina-chan..."

"G'way Xellos..."

"Oh, Lina-chan..."

"I said, go away."

"Liinaa-chaan..."

WHAM

"I said, go away," Lina yawned after backhanding the Mazoku. She cracked open an eye to watch Xellos fly across the room.

She never expected to see a hole in the wall. The sorceress sat up, and saw Xellos lying in the next room, with plaster covering him. Zelgadis sat up, and growled when he saw the Mazoku in his room.

"Oooh kay..." Lina said, staring at her hands. "Did I just do that?"

Zel looked at her, then at Xellos. When he looked back at her, new respect was shining in his eyes.

Lina got out of her bed, and picked up her sorceress costume. "I'm going for a walk," she said as she got dressed in a corner that Zel _couldn't_ see.

"Lina, there's been many cases of deaths and people missing. I don't think you should go out alone."

The sorceress peered around the hole in the wall. "Zel, I can take care of myself. You don't have to worry. And if you, or Gourry come after me, I'll Fireball you into the next year. Got it?"

The chimera nodded. He was use to the girl's mood swings. "Just be careful, Lina."


The moon shone down on the town, and gently touched Lina's red tresses. She sat down next to a tree, and sighed, leaning against the bark. It was such a peaceful night, namagomi Mazoku notwithstanding.

True to form, the Universe took her thought, and sent something to make the night a whole lot less peaceful. A scream resounded, and the redhead sorceress instantly stood up.

What the... Lina looked around, and pinpointed the scream. Behind that warehouse... She raced off in the direction of the scream, not even thinking about powering up a Fireball.

What she saw... Oh, gods... She always heard these things existed. But... she never expected to encounter a vampire like this! Lina gaped at the bloody sight, trying to get her act together. She couldn't, though. C'mon, Lina! Fireball the blood sucker!

Finally, she raised her hand. But instead of a spell, she reached above her and snapped off a tree branch. Then, she launched herself at the vampire. Her body reached instinctively as she fought it, knowing exactly what to do. She found the heart, and plunged the stake into it. The vampire turned to dust, and she sat down, hard. W-what just happened?


Chapter 2   |   Fanfiction