Chapter 8: Love Found, Love...


Lina closed her eyes, feeling the heat of her lids against her eyes. Great. I'm sick. She coughed, then groaned. I hate being sick... Her breath rasped in her throat, but she didn't dare try to cough again. Her head hurt enough anyway. Ugh.

"Lina?"

"Huh?" She opened her ruby eyes, and saw Zel standing at the door. "Oh. Hi." She rolled over, and straightened her covers with a frustrated sigh.

The chimera walked over to her, and frowned. "Are you... Lina, are you feeling well?"

"Not at all," she growled. "I'm sick."

Zelgadis placed a hand on her forehead. "You're burning up!" he cried, yanking his hand off her. "You should stay here in bed." He shook his head, amused. "You really did a number on your body, didn't you? Well, you don't have to go out. I'll take care of your duties."

Lina instantly frowned. "I am perfectly well enough to go out. I don't need you telling me what to do!"

"Lina!" His fist shook at his side. "Do. Not. Go. Out. You would die out there if you went out in your condition." The look in his eyes shook her. Lina gulped, but Zel was going on. "I don't want you to die, Lina. I..."

"You what?" she whispered, her heart pounding hopefully.

But he just shook his head. "Nothing. Just stay in bed."

She growled. "I don't need you telling me to stay in bed." Just to show him, Lina stood up, and picked up her sorceress outfit. "Leave!"

"Lina..."

"I SAID LEAVE!!" she yelled, tiny fangs showing at the edge of her mouth. When he finally left (mostly out of fear of a Dragu Slave), she pulled on her costume, ignoring her weakness.

I'll show him. I'm never weak. I'm perfectly fine. The sorceress stalked out, keeping her head high. I'll show him.

A small voice in the back of her head was screaming at her at this point, but as always, she ignored it.


Green eyes flashed softly as an evil smiled crossed the face. Well, who is this? Ah. I'm not going to get in your way, this time. If you want to practically commit suicide, Slayer, I won't stop you.

Black hair swirled as the person turned, the face holding a hideous smile. Sharp fangs peaked out of the mouth as it smiled. The vampire looked back over his shoulder, and snickered. You're headed to your death, sick one. Sad... All that blood going to waste...


Her breath rasped in her chest. She should stop, just for a moment. Just for a moment...

Lina placed a hand on the tree bark, and gasped for air. I shouldn't have gone out. I should have listened to Zel... She pushed herself off the tree, and started walking again, a headache pounding around her.

She couldn't stay up for another minute. Her knees wouldn't allow it. Maybe another little rest... Just for a small minute... Just for...


Zel gasped, placing a hand on his chest. Lina. She's... He reached out, and found a shoulder.

Amelia looked up. "Zelgadis-sa... san? What's wrong?"

"It's Lina," he gasped out. "She... She's sick. I-I have to find her!"


Lina firmed her knees, and kept walking. No rests. That means Zel won the argument.

And that was the mantra for her walk.

No rests.

No rests.

No...

The sorceress nearly fainted. No, she thought. With a tremendous effort, she stayed upright. No rests.

No rests.

No...

With a splash, she fainted, lake water spilling over the earth as she landed face first into the lake.


Moments passed. Amelia looked up at Zel, and said, "What? Where is Lina-san?"

The chimera's eyes were too wide. "Sh-she... I can..." He held his chest as a sudden pain lanced through it. Much like... "She's dying!"

The princess gasped. "W-where is she?"

Zelgadis looked around, then took one hesitant step to the right. "She's..." There was a sobbing note in his voice.

Amelia looked over, and saw the floating body of her friend, Lina. Her vision misted over with tears. "I-is she...?" she whispered, afraid to speak the entire question.

She took a step forward, but was brushed out of the way. The chimera bent down, and picked the sorceress out of the water, and placed his hand over her heart. He laid her down on the earth, and tilted his head back to let out one, mournful cry.

"IIE!!"


Fanfiction