Part Three: Tears of Pearls


Notes

Tears of Pearls is the property of Savage Garden.


And we stare each other down
Like victims in the grind
Probing all the weakness
And hurt we left behind and we cry
The tears of pearls

Zelgadis woke up, and realized that there was another person in his bedroll. A warm, female person. His first thought (Actually, wish) was Please be Lina.

Lina rolled over, and opened her eyes. "Morning, Zel." Then she noticed the fact she was a) in his bedroll and b) in his arms. With a blush, she crawled out of his bedroll only to be hit with a wave of vertigo.

"Lina!" Zel scrambled out of his bedroll, and lifted her up slightly. "Are you alright?"

Is love really the tragedy you might describe?
Or would a thousand lovers
Still leave you cold inside?
Make you cry...
These tears of pearls

She nodded, and moaned as it set off a series of Giga Slaves in her head. "I take it back," she groaned. "I'm sick."

Zel held her close to him. "It's alright," he murmured in a soothing tone. He could just heal her, but something inside of him made him just hold her close.

Lina sighed. She liked this a lot. "This feels nice," she muttered. He stiffened up, and she gritted her teeth. He doesn't feel the same way, she thought miserably.

All these mixed emotions
We keep locked away like
Stolen pearls
Stolen pearls devotions we
Keep locked away from all the world

His heart felt two sizes too big for his chest. Oh, gods. Do I dare? Zelgadis stroked her forehead, and yelped in surprise. "Ye gods, Lina, you're burning up!"

It was an understatement to say that he was surprised when she grabbed his shirt and started crying. "Lina?"

Your kisses are like pearls
So different and so rare
But anger stole the jewels away
And love has left you bare
Made you cry...
These tears of pearls

With a sudden anger, she grabbed his chin and kissed him, tears gently dripping down her face. When Lina finally pulled back, she choked out, "I love you." Then, her ruby eyes locked on his blue eyes. Tears welled up in both of their eyes, but only Lina said, "I love you, you goddamn stone idiot!"

Well I could be the tired joker
Pour my heart to get you in
Sacrifice my happiness
Just so I could win
Maybe cry...
These tears of pearls

Zelgadis had been waiting all his life to hear those words. But then, he looked into her eyes, bright with fever. She doesn't mean it, he thought miserably. It's the fever talking.

But it was worth at least telling her how he felt. "I love you too," Zel told her in a hushed tone of voice. He kissed her forehead gently, and allowed a tear to drop onto the heated surface. "I love you."

All these mixed emotions
We keep locked away like
Stolen pearls
Stolen pearls devotions we
Keep locked away from all the world

Lina gaped in amazement. "You... you love...?"

Zel took it the wrong way, and cringed. "Please, don't hurt me. I..."

Tears ran freely down her face as Lina Inverse leaned up and kissed Zelgadis Greywers gently. "I won't hurt you," she whispered. Then she moaned as pain lanced through her head. "At least, I won't unless you don't heal me."

He placed a hand on her, and cast a healing spell. Lina looked back up at him, and twined her arms around him. "I love you, Zel," she whispered in his ear.

We twist and turn where angels burn
Like fallen soldiers we will learn
That once forgotten, twice removed
Love will be the death...
The death of you

Zel stroked her cheek, no longer burning with fever. "I love you, Lina," he choked out.

She pulled back slightly, and looked deep into his eyes. "You mean it, don't you?" she whispered in wonder. Lina leaned forward, and kissed him passionately. When she finally broke the kiss, her voice was full of the wonder that only comes with an important discovery. "I never realized that... love felt like this..."

He hugged her tight, and whispered softly in her ear, "I never knew anyone could love a freak like me..."

"No."

Zelgadis looked at her, curiously and more than slightly apprehensive. "What do you mean?"

More tears ran freely down her face, but these were tears of love. "You. Are. Not. A. Freak." Lina then hugged him close, and whispered in his ear, "Even if you looked like a slug, I'd love you."

Their lips met, and the rest of the world melted away.

All these mixed emotions
We keep locked away like
Stolen pearls
Stolen pearls devotions we
Keep locked away from all the world


Part 4   |   Fanfiction