The Wanderer


Notes

this fic was inspired by the song Medic from the Magic, Moondust, and Melancholy and lyrics written by Mercedes Lackey. Blame any depressing parts on the health system, they're refusing to pay for my prozac!!!

navy = flashback


"Another year goes by,
Another transfer and I go.
To seek another world that holds,
No faces that I know.
Another sky, another star,
Forgive me if I flee.
You've tried to breach the barriers,
Between yourselves and me.
So leave my to my silences,
And let me live apart.
I'll heal your battered bodies,
Just don't try to touch my heart"

From Medic written by Mercedes Lackey

She was dressed in the clothes of a Healer, her sorceress garb long forgotten when she gave up black magic after the accident. Her fiery hair was pulled back, and she picked up a bag and threw it over a shoulder.

"And here I go again," Lina sighed softly to herself. She wondered what her friends would think if they could see her now, wandering town from town as a Healer, leaving before more than one could befriend her. A tear fell, she then wondered what they'd think of her as a wandering Healer. Surely none could believe she was once the Bandit Killer. At least this way she could keep what happened to her from happening to others if she ever got the chance.

L-sama, she couldn't believe what happened even now! She nearly stopped as she felt the gaze of Shadow, the street child that had managed to befriend her and considered staying. But no, she couldn't. It brought too many memories, and those memories brought more pain than she could bear. She considered confiding in Shadow the other day, telling what had caused her drastic change in personality. That's how she knew it was time to go.

"How cruel can you be!" someone yelled. "You come to Heal those in need and once one befriends you, why, you turn your back on them!" It cut her deeply. How could they understand what happened! How could they know the pain friendship caused her! She hurried off and ran out of town into the woods.

She curled up under a tree and cried as visions came rushing back...

There she stood, her friends – oh how she missed them now! – beside her, even that annoying Mazoku. This was something worse than they had faced before, a foe that was the essence of Darkness, all Hate, Fear, Destruction, and Sorrow ever borne by anything. Its formless shadow shifted from something almost human to something vaguely like a dragon.

"Now you ssshall botherr me no morre," it whispered to them. Fast as lightning its 'hand' shot forward and knocked down both Gourry and Amelia. Immediately they lay in pools of their own blood, the last bit of life draining from them. She yelled and made as if to rush, starting to cast Laguna Blade.

Before she could finish both Xellos and Zelgadis, who had only two days ago got up the guts to tell her how he felt about her to her joy, stood in front of her. "BEGONE INSSOLENT PESSSSTSSS!!" the dark thing yelled as it breathed onto them, shadowy lightning piercing them as they screamed in pain and fright for about 30 seconds as a grey/red glow surrounded them.

For a moment she could have sworn she heard Zel yell out "I failed you Lina! Forgive me!" before he and Xellos dissappeared. Then she fell to her knees and cried before bringing herself up to fight.

"DAMN YOU!!!" she yelled as she cast a spell that she never heard echoed within her heart. "Soul of flame, Fueled by anger. Lend me your flame, So that vengeance I may have! FURY'S RAGE!!!!!" White-hot flames sprang from her hands, consuming the dark creature. Then she sat beside the two friends that remained, lying still in their own blood. They were alive, and in pain, but the spell had drained her almost totally. She could do nothing to aid them but end their further suffering. She killed them swiftly.

Her eyes were almost swollen shut, but she managed to open them to look at the circular burn scars on her palms, the reminder of what her black magic could not do. She shut her eyes and forced herself up and back to the road.


Fanfiction