Part 19: Riddle! What's tall, green, and scaly?


Lingual notes:

  1. Sabes = you know
  2. duquesita = little duchess
  3. duquesa = duchess


Amanda's and 'Dancer's volley was soon joined by other archers as Alex alerted them. Flinging arrow after arrow at the orcs, 'Dancer suddenly paused, the hairs on the nap of her neck standing up on end.

" 'Dancer?" Amanda asked, letting another arrow fly. 'Dancer turned around and scoured the west side of town.

"There! Oh, shi-" 'Dancer slid off the roof and landed in a hay stack below. Rolling to her feet she dashed down the street. Coming in off the high road as a group of a score or so hulking Monsters.

"Ogres." Amanda's voice caused 'Dancer to jump. She glared at the brunette.

"Don't do that!" Amanda ignored her growl.

"Any suggestions, oh fearless leader?" She asked, fitting another arrow to her bow.

"Running away wouldn't be a bad idea." 'Dancer murmured, her eyes carefully taking in all the details. "Too late," Amanda mumbled, drawing the arrow back.

"Stand back, and be ready to run if this doesn't work." 'Dancer pushed her bangs out of her face and eased into a back stance. Despite her already queasy stomach, she tapped deep into her power base.

With Amanda in this fateful hour,


Alex gleefully blew away one platoon of orcs with a laser-like flash of magic, before she blew out the ground from under the legs of another. Even as she joined the fray, hacking and slashing every which way, she could feel the ground rumble. There was an explosion, sounding not unlike an eruption, and on the other side of town lightening flashed down.

"Nani-?" Blasting several orcs in the process, she flit across town to see a dozen roasted ogres, and another dozen their feet or hands just barely sticking up out of the earth. Amanda was busy cutting down the few remaining ogres who weren't already out of their misery.

"Amanda, did you do this?" She asked, landing by the panting swordwoman.

"Nope, 'Dancer did. I don't know what spell she used, but the earth swallowed up half of them as lightening fried the other half." Alex was impressed. "That's one I wannna learn." She commented, sitting down on a log. "Where did she go?"

"Said she thought she saw something further down the road, and to check it out. Is everything okay on the other side?" Amanda asked, cleaning her new blade on the singed cloth of one ogre.

"The Guard's getting what's left of them. Think his grace will lift exile on us?"

"When he finds out you've been impersonating him? No." Amanda snorted, sheathing her weapon and joining Alex on the log.

"Where's the duke?" Both bountyhunters nearly fell off the log. Seeming to appear out of no where Zelgadis stood directly behind them.

"I wouldn't tell you if I knew." Amanda snapped, regaining her composure before Alex. "In fact, I think you'd better worry about us right now." She said drawing her sword as she stood. Alex also stood, bringing her hands up to cast a spell.

Zelgadis looked vaguely annoyed. "I haven't time for this."

"Then surrender!" Amanda howled, striking. With a move almost too quick for the eye to see, Zelgadis drew his sword and sent Amanda's sword flying from her hand. His own sword rested gently at the base of her throat.

"Where is the duke? Rei uingu." Zelgadis's bubble popped into existence as Alex tried to elmekia lance him. Amanda matched his cold stare. The bubble began to raise up off the ground. Slowly it floated over jagged rocks.

"Go to hell, demon." She spat.

Amanda suddenly fell through the ray wing, saved from certain death at the last minute by Alex's deim wind. Zelgadis disappeared down the beach as Amanda landed next to Alex.

"Jerk. Com'on, we need to find 'Dancer and warn the duke."


'Dancer stumbled along the sea road, her stomach protesting. The last thing she wanted Amanda to see was that her spell-casting had put her over the line. Finally locating the stream she had seen the first time she had left town, she collapsed and drank the water, ignoring the slightly brackish flavor. Her stomach was unable to handle the sudden extreme change and 'Dancer emptied the contents of her stomach violently. Finally done being ill 'Dancer rolled over onto her back and gazed up at the overcast sky.

I hate this. I hate being sick. I wish I'd never even heard of magic.

There was a muffled cry and despite her intense desire to remain stationary, 'Dancer sat up. Off the road and amongst the boulders dotting the beach were two figures. 'Dancer wearily stood and sais drawn slipped down to the beach.

"Brother, why are we leaving the town? We were safe there with the Guard." A petite raven haired girl whispered to the tall black haired man pulling her along. The man scowled at her.

"We were in more danger there than here." He snapped. The girl pulled her wrist free from his grasp. "How can you say that? They're back there, fighting and dying for our home. You should be among them, encouraging them at least, if you won't fight." The man just looked at her with narrowed eyes.

"You're just in love with that Guardsman!" Angrily he hit her, causing her to fall down. "Have you any idea how hard it is, trying to keep filth away for someone as beautiful as you?" He asked in a husky voice, cupping her chin. The girl trembled.

"Brother, what are yo-?" The man leaned forward and kissed her. The girl tried to scream and struggled with him.

"Didn't your mamá ever teach you it's not nice to force yourself on women?"

'Dancer asked lazily, kicking the man off of the girl. Getting a good look at him for the first time she recognized him as the duke. She glanced down at the terrified girl. What had the captain called her? "Lelanna?" The girl nodded as the duke stood. 'Dancer's eyes narrowed.

"What's this, incest? Really, your grace, I'd have thought they'd have taught you some manners in your court."

"You, you're that trash from the tavern!" He snarled. 'Dancer crossed her arms, sais still drawn.

"Yeah, and the funny thing is, I was right about those orcs." She took a stride forward, almost in his face. "Want to explain to me why you're running away? Seems awfully suspicious that you'd first ignore my warning, and then flee during a battle your side is winning. What haven't you told your townspeople?" She snarled. Lelanna looked up, realization washing across her face.

"Brother, you didn't - "

"ENOUGH!" The duke drew his sword and attacked 'Dancer. 'Dancer caught the sword with her sais and with a flick of the her wrist snapped the blade. The duke back away, then charged at her with a maddened roar. 'Dancer kicked him back against a tree, then flung a sai at him. It went through his palm and into the tree. The duke howled in pain, unable to pull his hand free.

"Idiota." 'Dancer grumbled, turning to Lelanna and helping her up. "Oye, duquesita, are you okay?" Lelanna, still quivering, nodded.

"W-who are you?" She finally asked shakily. 'Dancer smiled reassuringly at her.

"Just a traveler. You brother here saw fit to disregard my warning of the orc army that I saw in the forest." She jerked her head in the direction of the pinned duke. Lelanna looked past 'Dancer, at her brother, her eyes growing wide. 'Dancer turned in time to see the duke pointing an emerald at her and muttering.

"BRAM FANG!" A gust of wind charged with electricity slammed into the duke's hand, mangling it and crumbling the jewel to dust.

"NO!" The duke howled, then passed out. Alex ran up.

"Great timing." 'Dancer commented as Alex blurted out, "Zelgadis is - , oi, is that the duke?" 'Dancer nodded, and Alex grimaced. "Darn, if I'd known that I'd have hit him with something harder." 'Dancer elbowed Alex at Lelanna's frightened look.

"Alex, I'd like to introduce you to her grace, Lelanna. Be nice." She hissed the last remark to Alex, who stuck her tongue out at her.

"You're Alex? The magic user who blew a hole in the Keep wall?" 'Dancer looked surprised at Alex, who was blushing furiously.

"I thought you only dil branded the duke." Alex suddenly found the ground an fascinating object of study. "I was aiming at the duke when I cast that fireball." 'Dancer rolled her eyes.

"Now what were you saying about Zel?" Alex opened her mouth to answer, but whatever she was going to say was lost in the low, insane laughter emanating from the duke.

"¿Qué?" "Nani?" "Brother?"

"You little fools," He chuckled self-degradingly. "it's already started. You're too late. Too late." He looked up, and the trio took an involuntary step back. His eyes glowed sickly green and his form was outlined by green fire.

"Brother?!" Lelanna cried as he threw back his head and yowled. His body elongated and thickened. His skin darkened and became scaled as his cloths ripped to shreds. Spines erupted from his back.

"Hoi, hoi, hoi, hoi!" Alex gulped. 'Dancer just hefted her remaining sai and Lelanna fainted. The transformation ended and towering over them was a 15 meter tall, green scaled triceratops horned frog-monster with a row of stegosaurus spins running down it's back. The frog regarded the girls for a moment before raising it's massive foreleg.

"Agggggh!" Alex dashed out the path of claw's decent as 'Dancer picked up the unconscious duchess. Alex saw that 'Dancer wouldn't get out of the way in time and shouted,

"BLESSED SHIELD!" A bubble of blue light surrounded the two as the claw slammed down. Alex then fired off several flare arrows with that bounced off the frog's hide.

"Let me try!" Shouted Amanda, running at the beast, her sword drawn. Alex covered Amanda with a deim wind as she hacked at the creature's slimy leg. Her sword just bounced off the rock hard scales.

"Che, no good!" She growled as dashed out of harm's way. Alex levitated up trying to get the thing's attention as it continued to press it's weight down on the shield.

Under the shield 'Dancer covered her face with her hand as the shield sparked from the monster's weight. The shield held, but the sand underneath suddenly gave way and the bubble was pressed halfway into the ground. "Arg!"

" 'Dancer!" Alex flew overhead lobbing spells at the seeming invincible monster. "Wake Lelanna up! She's a psychic! Get her to tell us how to defeat this thing!" 'Dancer looked questioningly at the girl.. Figures. Her brother's a monster and she's a psychic. 'Dancer shook the girl gently. "Oye, duquesita, wake up." When the shield sparked again she slapped the girl sharply. "Wake up already!" Lelanna slowly opened her sea blue eyes, then stifled a scream.

"Nice to see you too." 'Dancer remarked dryly, sitting the girl up. "Alex says you're a psychic. Can you vision us up a weak spot on this monster?" Lelanna gingerly touched her cheek, then nodded.

"I'll try."

Above Alex noticed that 'Dancer's swordbreaker was still sticking out of the beast's other forepaw. She narrowed her eyes and considered that detail. Then drifting back some, she chanted furiously. There was a small flash of red light. The monster ignored her as she floated over to Amanda.

"Catch!" Amanda held out her hand and caught the radiant object. It was a red rock. "Firestone?" She asked. Alex nodded, floating up again. "Hold it against the pommel of your sword, and when you strike, shout Gaav Fire. But wait until it's busy with me."

On a hunch she dropped onto the creature's skewered claw.

"EMEKIA BLADE!" Spirit energy poured into the monster's body, causing it to rear, roaring. Infuriated it lashed out wildly at Alex. Amanda dashed forward and slashed at the creature's hindquarters with a war cry.

"GAAV FIRE!" Blood red energy raced down the length of the blade and slipped under the beast's scales, exploding into it's haunch. The monster spun around bellowing and tried to step on Amanda.

On the other side of Alex's shield Lelanna blinked and came out of her trance.

"Well?" 'Dancer asked.

"It's middle spine. If you can cut that off, you destroy it."

"Sounds like a plan." 'Dancer turned toward the raging battle. "Alex!"

Alex flew closer to the shielded girls, which turned out to be a mistake. The beast, sensing it's quarry might try to escape, sat down on top of the shield. Lelanna shrieked as the bubble sank further in to the sand and sparked.

" 'Dancer! Lelanna!" Amanda readied herself for another attack when Alex commanded her attention.

"Amanda, be ready to pull Lelanna out of that hole." She instructed, before flying directly at the frog creature.

" 'Dancer, do you know digger volt?" She called dodging the monster's flailing claws.

"No!" 'Dancer sheltered Lelanna with her cloak from spark that flew as the beast shifted it's great weight.

"Doka! " Alex cringed, then decided to try a different angle. "Then repeat after me, and hold your swordbreaker out in front."

'Dancer wiped sweat off her face. This is going to hurt.

"Wind, crimson flame." Alex intoned.

"Wind, crimson flame." 'Dancer repeated. Something was very familiar about the wording... 'Dancer concentrated on the task at hand.

"Grant the power of thunder to my hand!" Alex dropped back on top of the still impaled claw.

"Grant the power of thunder to my hand!" Power surged out of the sand surrounding 'Dancer, blowing hers and Lelanna's hair around wildly. Then at the same time, both girls screamed,

"DIGGER VOLT!"

The shield failed just as 'Dancer thrusted her sai up deep into the rump of the creature. Rather than crushing the two girls, the power discharged pushed the monster away. Amanda reached into the hole and grabbed a hold of Lelanna and 'Dancer, pulling them out. My sai! 'Dancer, too weak to fight Amanda's grasp, lost her grip on her weapon.

The monster, deciding enough was enough, turned and hobbled down the beach as fast as it could.

"No!" Shouted Lelanna, racing after it. "If it reaches the Keep it'll be able to teleport itself anywhere in the Megaverse!" 'Dancer grabbed Amanda as Alex flew after the siblings.

"Tell Alex," She paused to take a pained breath. "Tell Alex to destroy the monster's middle spine. That's it's weak spot." Amanda nodded.

"Are you okay?" She asked as 'Dancer staid bent over.

"Go already!" She hissed. Amanda hesitated, then raced after the others. 'Dancer retched stomach fluids and prayed for the pain to cease. When it didn't, she forced herself to stand and she staggered after the others.

Amanda had relayed the message to Alex, who'd successfully stopped the beast's progress by summoning a river of lava in front of the monster.

Both Alex and Amanda had their hands full just trying to divert the creature, seeing as every time it saw Lelanna it tried to squash her. 'Dancer paused, to catch her breath.

"I need a weapon." She grumbled to herself, moving forward again. Her foot hit something, and 'Dancer picked up a dagger out of the sand. Amanda must have dropped hers. Calling on reserves of strength she didn't know she had, she climbed a boulder and lept onto the Frog-monster's back.


Zelgadis watched the girls fight from above in his ray wing. He'd been correct in guessing that the Green-stone Man was the duke, and he'd almost left once he'd seen the what the duke really was. Still, something about the swamp demon held his curiosity and he observed the battle trying to distinguish what it was. 'Dancer made a desperate jump onto the swamp demon's back and Zelgadis focused on her actions.


It took 'Dancer the better part of five minutes to reach the creature's middle spine, then another five to realize that the dagger wasn't sharp enough to pierce the thick hide. (Zelgadis had come to the same conclusion four and a half minutes earlier.) At a loss, 'Dancer stood, and tumbled backwards when a particularly powerful blast from Alex knocked the beast's forelegs out from under it. Tumbling down the creature's back, she was caught across the midriff by one of the monster's horns. Gasping for breath she considered her situation. His hide's too thick to pierce, I've only got one good blast of magic left, and...and... 'Dancer looked down suddenly at the creature's ugly face.

"You've more than one weakness." She whispered, carefully pulling herself around. Zelgadis meanwhile landed on the spot 'Dancer had been standing previously and studied the spine. 'Dancer anchored herself as best as possible she drew out the dagger. Zelgadis drew his sword. Wind, crimson flame, grant the power of thunder to my hand!

"DIGGER VOLT!" "ASTURORARU VAIN!"

'Dancer buried the dagger deep into the frog monster's repulsive yellow eye, willing the magic to bore straight into the creature's brain as Zelgadis's sword sliced through the creature's spine like a hot knife through butter. Amanda and Lelanna where knocked to one side as the monster arched it's back and let out a wail so high it burst windows a kilometer away. Alex, above, covered her ears and squinted her eyes shut, missing the flash of white as Zelgadis retreated to the woods. 'Dancer was thrown off into the breaking waves.

Why is it, that every time I run into trouble I get wet? 'Dancer wondered, struggling for the surface. Bursting to the surface she gasped for breath. A warm wind surrounded her and carried her back to shore. Deposited on the shore, 'Dancer laid where she was dropped, as the girls crowded around her.

"Oi, 'Dancer, you okay?" Amanda asked, nudging her with a piece of driftwood.

"I've been better." 'Dancer croaked, envying Alex's un-tired expression. She looked back at Lelanna. "How 'bout you, your grace? You all right?" Lelanna sighed wearily.

"Fine, if killing off family members is something one does on a regular bases."

"Just be happy you're not part of the Sailoon royal family." Alex grumbled, busy healing Amanda's arm. Somewhere in the fighting, she'd earned a long gouge on her sword arm. Lelanna looked at the ground.

"I just don't understand why Elliot would do these things."

'Dancer looked up at the girl sympathetically. "Duquesa, I found from experience that's there's rarely pat answers for why someone's actions." 'Dancer stood, with some help. "You just have to keep moving on." 'Dancer sagged and Alex caught her.

"Sorry." 'Dancer straightened up. "What happened to the rest of the orcs?"

"Alex blew the two remain platoons away." 'Dancer frowned. Two? There should have been four... Glancing down she realized she was still holding the dagger, and she gave it a searching glance, recognizing it as Zelgadis's dagger. Comprehension dawned on her. She looked off into the woods, aware that there were several things that she needed to set straight. But first...

"Your grace, could I ask a favor?" Lelanna looked up.

"You saved my life. If it's mine to give, it's yours."

'Dancer smiled wanely. What are your chances that you ever get that type of offer again, Stormy?

"Alex and Amanda, they've family here. Could you lift their exile? They had more a hand at saving you and your town than I did." Amanda gasped as Alex stared at 'Dancer amazed.

"Done." Lelanna smiled a little sadly. "Family's important. And I won't make you suffer as his legacy." She looked at the two shocked/overjoyed girls, then looked over at 'Dancer. "But wouldn't you like something?"

'Dancer laughed a little as she answered, slipping to her knees. "Yeah, a recovery spell."


The sky was a perfect robin's egg blue, the sea around the little finger of land calm. Zelgadis looked at the sea with vague annoyance. He'd cross the Straits quicker by ray wing, but he'd have to rest for a couple days before he'd be back to full strength. Accepting the unchangeable he started to cast.

"Rei - "

Shoomum. Burying itself up to it's hilt in the rich loam, was his dagger. Zelgadis held the spell taunt in his mind as he reached down and picked it up, then turned, facing the direction from which it was thrown.

'Dancer stepped out of the shade of the forest.

"Sabes, Alex and Amanda have agreed to give up hunting you." Zelgadis said nothing.

"And the town survived, thanks to the actions of a mysterious white garbed person, who sent the second half of the orcish army fleeing for the hills." She looked out at the Straits. "It would be a real drain of magic, to ray wing yourself all the way across." She paused, hoping for a reaction of some sort. None was forth coming. She sighed and Zelgadis tired of her presence.

" - Uingu"

"A real waste too, considering that there's passage for two on the Merlady." 'Dancer finished in a hurry. Zelgadis regarded her from the other side of his bubble.

"Is it too late to say I'm sorry?" 'Dancer queried. "Or that I was wrong?"

Zelgadis didn't say anything for a long moment.

"The Merlady?" 'Dancer nodded solemnly, mentally holding her breath.

"Don't ships normally sail on the morning tide?" He asked, dropping his spell. 'Dancer smiled a very relieved smile.

"They were willing to make an exception."


Part 20   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction