Part 4: Rise and Shine! It's Morning!


Lingual notes:

  1. cinco minutos mas = five mintues more

" 'Dancer, wake up". Warm, green light pierced her eyes.

"Cinco minutos mas, mama." 'Dancer rolled over.

"No, 'Dancer, we must get going." A patient, quiet voice broke through the barrier of sleep. 'Dancer blinked awake, her mother's voice was never that calm. She squinted up into the sunlight. A shadow fell on her face as she focused.

"Aya Gaia, it wasn't a dream." she groaned.

"No, it wasn't." Zelgadis helped her to her feet. "Are you okay?" He asked as she staggered a bit. "I'm fine" she said smiling and flashing a V for victory sign, before falling down.

"Are you certain?" Zelgadis asked coolly, as she picked herself up.

"Where are we?" 'Dancer asked instead. Zelgadis's face set into tense lines.

"Home, somewhere." Zelgadis glanced around at the forest. 'Dancer looked quizzly.

"Home? You've lost m-, wait, you mean like not in Oregon anymore?" Or Kansas, Toto?

"Not even your world. Com'on." Zelgadis answered walking past her.

"Huh? Darn dizziness , wait!" Teetering dangerously she jogged to catch up with him. "W-wait a sec-oops." Overcompensating for her unexplained vertigo, she pitched forward and gradded Zelgadis's arm to catch herself.

"Yes?" He looked unblinking as she leaned against his injured arm. Belatedly 'Dancer remembered his injuries as dropped his arm.

"Ack! I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I- oye, what happened to your bandages?"

"I healed myself." 'Dancer's head swam, and this time not from the nausea. Deciding this was as good a time as any she sat down.

"Could you...start from the begining?" She asked weakly. Zelgadis sighed and pulled her back up to her feet. "Only, if we keep moving."


"Obviously, I'm not from your world" Zelgadis watched her from out of the corner of his eye. 'Dancer nodded noncommittally, concentrating on keeping her balance. " I was attacked by that ...grey mage in the mountains. After having beaten him in one battle I pursued him back to his lair in an extinct volcano" Stock plot line, original characters. 'Dancer thought sourly.

"I...hadn't realized that it was a trap." Zelgadis paused to let her catch up a little.

" I......... was surprised when I found myself in your magicless world." 'Dancer said nothing. '' And yet, somehow he'd found a way to use magic in your world. I figured this out when he wouldn't follow me beyond that river." 'Dancer looked up from her feet. "That monument in the Park?" "Yes. Apparently that statue has metals from this world in it." "Which ... acts as a conduit between both worlds?" 'Dancer guessed. Zelgadis smiled faintly nodding.

"Then how come you didn't cast a spell when you had your sword?"

"It doesn't work that way. The statue had metals from both worlds. My sword has metal only from this world. Also, that magic user said something about taming the magic of your world." 'Dancer frowned. "But there is no magic in my world. Everything is scientifically based..." she shrugged "Besides, you just said so yourself." Zelgadis looked at her thoughtfully.

"Yes...and no. It exists, but it was brought in from else where."

"Okay..." 'Dancer chewed on that idea for awhile. "So...why didn't his spells effect me then? I mean I was holding your sword." Zelgadis stopped and gratefully 'Dancer leaned against a tree. What is wrong with me? " I'm not sure," he said finally, facing her " I think that because you weren't from this world, and because the spells where aimed at you, and not my sword ..." Zelgadis shrugged.

"But maybe it was a side effect of your teleportation spell."

"My- what?" 'Dancer looked up to find his narrowed eyes boring into hers. She swallowed. "Your teleportation spell. The one you where chanting right before all hell broke loose. Or did you think I didn't notice?"

'Dancer blinked. "You're serious."

"You mean you have no idea what you did?" His look changed to one of incredulous. " I didn't DO anything, except get zotted when I attacked him." Maybe that's what's making me dizzy, that stupid spell...

"Then what were you yelling right before you jumped between us?" 'Dancer gave him a blank look. "Something about the powers of darkness?" he prodded.

"Wha- THAT? That's just a poem or prayer I learned a long time ago."

"Has it ever teleported you before?" 'Dancer gave him one of her looks.

"We just had this conversion, there's no magic on my world , so of course it's never teleported me somewhere before." 'Dancer was begining to really feel crabby. " Besides, I haven't even thought about it in years." Zelgadis had a not-completely-convinced look on his face, but he let it go. "Fine, let's keep moving." 'Dancer, too tired to argue, kept pace with him.

They walk in relative silence until the sun reached it's zenith. Then as they were cresting a hill, two figures came into sight. 'Dancer dropped a step back and behind Zelgadis, while his hand strayed to his sword.

"Lord Zelgadis!" called the shorter of the two. Zelgadis shielded his eyes against the sun. "Rodimus? Zolf?"

Grinning broadly the two strolled up to him. Rodimus, the one who'd hailed them was a burly man, white-bearded and bald, dressed in leather armor with a well worn battle ax strapped to his back. Zolf, had bushy sea green hair and was clad in a dark tunic and leggings with a long black cape. What's with the funny hair? Both were older men, Zolf in his 30s and Rodimus in his 40s. While they both seemed pleasant enough, 'Dancer couldn't dispel her sense of unease.

"You woldn't believe the trouble we had finding you." Zolf boomed. "Indeed." Zelgadis answered casually. 'Dancer stiffened, Zel doesn't trust these guys either! Hesitantly she stepped forward and gently tugged on Zelgadis's sleeve. "Um...Zel?" The two newcomers noticed 'Dancer for the first time as Zelgadis turned. "Yes?"

"Who's this?" Zolf asked stepping toward her. She took a step back.

"This is 'Dancer Saisan. 'Dancer, Zolf, Rodimus." "Ah...Hi, a pleasure." She smiled prettily. "Ze-"

"What strange cloths." Zolf mused peering closer at her. "You're not exactly a fashion statement yourself" 'Dancer deadpanned.

"Why you - !" Zolfs face turned an interesting shade of red as he pointed a finger at her. "In the darkness beyond - "

"Zolf, that's enough. 'Dancer is traveling with me." Zolf stopped chanting, but he gave her a baleful glare. 'Dancer ignored him.

"Zel?'' She started again.

"My lord, where to now?'' Rodimus asked. "To the nearest town" Zelgadis answered. Rodimus nodded and started back the way he'd come. The group followed.

"Zelgadis..." 'Dancer's voice held a peevish note. Zelgadis slowed him pace a little for 'Dancer to keep up. "I'm sorry, yes? What were you trying to say?" 'Dancer turned her big, brown puppy dog eyes on him.

"Please tell me they have something to eat with them." she begged.


Part 5   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction